PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Sacred Shield Oradin - defeating the purpose?

Spore
2015-06-10, 07:52 AM
Greetings playground,

I have recently built a Sacred Shield Paladin (with Tower Shield, hard cover and some intercepting shield talents) and as I know about the Miniguide known as Oradin (for those unaware: grarrrg's Oradin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?257365-PF-Oradin-Mini-Guide-Or-How-to-be-a-Healbot-minus-the-bot)), my question is as follows:

The Oradin shines through decent offense while maintaining a strong defense and superior healing. Is taking the Sacred Shield archetype defeating the purpose of this mix? Is a trueclassed Sacred Shield Paladin better than a Sacred Shield/Oracle of Life? Combining both is surely the pinnacle in defense but what monsters can a DM realistically pitch against the group that such a formidable defense is worthwhile?

The rule in Pathfinder still stands: A good offense is better than a good defense. But Bastion of Good seems like a pretty good taunt ability (when the demon realizes the paladin cannot smite good and is the only one fully affected by its attacks) and it centralizes combat (giving melees like TWFing rogues an opportunity to make full attacks without fearing retailation) as well as it gives the DM a reason to use more dangerous monsters (even if the group has a Con 8 sorcerer).

Spore
2015-06-11, 08:22 AM
I've decided that this question is a stupid one and that the Sacred Shield Paladin/Oracle is completely circumvented by just attacking the guy using Bastion of Good. Not even Life Link triggers.