PDA

View Full Version : Turning Plant's (Marlowe, please stay out).

Malak'ai
2015-06-10, 09:05 AM
Hi there folks,

Just had a quick thought today that I couldn't quite figure out right away.

If a Cleric has the Plant domain, thus the ability to Turn plants, can (s)he use it to unentangle themselves from an Entangle or Briar's Web spell?
I'm thinking yes, but I'm not entirely sure.

Any help would be great.

AmberVael
2015-06-10, 09:08 AM
By RAW? No. Turn Plants only works on plant creatures, that is, creatures with the Plant type. Entangle just involves plants, not Plants.

Admittedly I could see something like this being a houserule, but it would need to be done very carefully to avoid giving it too much. Its probably safer to just run it as is.

Psyren
2015-06-10, 09:53 AM
I'm with Amber. Think of it this way - if you start allowing that, where does it end? Can such a cleric turn their way through a hedge maze, or get the trees in a forest to move out of their way?

In game terms, plants are objects until they become creatures.

Hiro Quester
2015-06-10, 10:21 AM
Yeah. There are too many plant p-based BFCc this would nerf. Not just entangle, but plant growth, wall of thorns, etc. being able to "turn" out of those would be too much.

Of course, get a freedom of movement spell or ring and you can waltz through such BFC spells, though.

Grooke
2015-06-10, 11:18 AM
A simple issue is that such things have no HD, and you therefore couldn't determine whether or not a turn attempt was successful.

A houserule allowing this could probably involve using the caster level of the Entangle's caster instead of the HD so that a high level caster could still use these spells on the cleric without being trivially countered.

Malak'ai
2015-06-10, 10:33 PM
A simple issue is that such things have no HD, and you therefore couldn't determine whether or not a turn attempt was successful.

A houserule allowing this could probably involve using the caster level of the Entangle's caster instead of the HD so that a high level caster could still use these spells on the cleric without being trivially countered.

D'oh! How could this part have slipped my mind?! It's one of the most important parts of Turning.

Welp... Guess I've once again suffered from Malak'ai's Muddled Memory (I so should have made that in the GitP Regulars as Spells thread :smalltongue:).