PDA

View Full Version : The Item-User (base class)

Orzel
2007-04-24, 07:07 PM
See the Weapon-User here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41507)

I need help balancing this one. He does his job, traps, magic items, and breaking constructs and objects. Just seems a bit broken. so PEACH.

The Item-User

Hit Die
d8.

Base Attack Bonus
3/4 like Cleric

Base Save Bonuses
Good Reflex save and poor Fortitude and Will saves.

Class Skills

The item-user’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (alchemy) (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Disable Device (Int) Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points
6+ Int modifier (or four times this number at 1st level).

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
All simple weapons; light and medium armor; shields (but not tower shields).

Trapfinding (Ex)
Item-users have the Trapfinding class feature as a rogue.

Emulate Class or Race (Su)
An item-user can automatically succes at emulating the abilities of a class or race for the use of the Use Magic Device skill. An item-user never has to make a skill check to emulate a class feaure of the chosen class, act as if you had a particular spell on the chosen class' spell list, or emulate the trait of a the chosen race

An item-user can emulate one class or race at the 1st level. He can emulate another class or race at the 5th level, and every 5 levels thereafter.

Inner Charge (Su)
At the 2nd level, an item user can use his own energy to power magical items. Instead on draining charges from a wand, staff, or rod; an item user can use an equal number of charges from himself, An item-user has a number of charges equal to 3 + his level + his Charisma modifier (if any) each day.

Master Alchemist (Ex)
At the 3rd level, an item user longer need to be an spellcaster to create items with the Craft(Alchemy) skill.

Also, by spending 1 of his charges form his Inner charge class feature, an item-user can add 1d6 damage per 3 item-user levels to an vial of acid or alchemist's fire for 1 minute.

Trap Sense (Ex)
At 3rd level, an item-user gains an intuitive sense that alerts him to danger from traps, giving her a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise to +2 when the item-user reaches 6th level, to +3 when he reaches 9th level, to +4 when he reaches 12th level, to +5 at 15th, and to +6 at 18th level.

Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Identify (Ex)
At 6th level, an item-user gains the ability to understand magic items, as with the identify spell.

Dismantle (Ex)
At the 5th level, whenever an item-user hits a creature of the contruct, vermin, or undead subtype, or an inanimate object; he automatically threatens a critical hit even if the creature is immunte to critical hits.

Item Mastery (Ex)
At the 9th level, an item user can take 10 wihen using the Disable Device, Open Locks, or Use Magic Device skills even when threatened, distracted, or in combat.

Replicate Item (Su)
At the 10th level, the item user is able to make copies of magical items he possess. An item user can recreate any item that have has a caster level less than or equal to his item-user level. He does not need to know the feats required to create the item nor must he know the spells need to create the items. He must be able to emulate a class or classes that can cast the spell required for the items creation. All other processes of item creation remains the same.

Replicating an item takes twice as long and costs the XP as normally creating the item. An item-user can expend charges from his Inner Charge class feature to add in item creation at a rate of 1 charge for 50 XP. An item-user cannot expend more than 1 days worth of charges on a single item.

Table by Zeta Kai
{table]Level|Special
1|Trapfinding, Emulate Class or Race
2|Inner Charge
3|Master Alchemist, Trap Sense +1
4|Identify
5|Emulate Class or Race, Dismantle
6|Trap Sense +2
7|
8|
9|Trap Sense +3, Item Mastery
10|Emulate Class or Race, Replicate Item
11|
12|Trap Sense +4
13|
14|
15|Emulate Class or Race, Trap Sense +5
16|
17|
18|Trap Sense +6
19|
20|Emulate Class or Race[/table]

Innis Cabal
2007-04-24, 07:17 PM
so he is the use magic device skill stretched out over a whole 20 levels, with some other abilities? Looks ok really

brian c
2007-04-24, 07:22 PM
Dismantle looks a little strong; I can see it working against constructs, but maybe not against undead.

Doesn't seem overpowered, I'd recommend actually increasing skill points to 6 + int

Zeta Kai
2007-04-24, 07:24 PM
{table]Level|Special
1|Trapfinding, Emulate Class or Race
2|Inner Charge
3|Trap Sense +1
4|
5|Emulate Class or Race, Dismantle
6|Trap Sense +2
7|
8|
9|Trap Sense +3, Item Mastery
10|Emulate Class or Race, Replicate Item
11|
12|Trap Sense +4
13|
14|
15|Emulate Class or Race, Trap Sense +5
16|
17|
18|Trap Sense +6
19|
20|Emulate Class or Race[/table]

Because it's easier to do tables than not do tables.

BTW, what does "3/4 like Cleric" mean?

Innis Cabal
2007-04-24, 07:26 PM
as a cleric only 3/4 the level

Orzel
2007-04-24, 07:37 PM
It's BAB table I dread. Too many numbers, not enough booze.

Dismantle and Replicate weapon were my fears. The DM says your party has a free month and you come back with a +1 flaming burst scythe and 3 wands with little XP used.

Black Mage
2007-04-24, 07:46 PM
I'd say for Dismantle, let them score crits against creatures/objects that can't normally be hit by a crit, instead of it being an auto threat. Although for inanimate objects I could see it being an auto threat.

Zeta Kai
2007-04-25, 05:13 AM
Well, the name's Zeta Kai, but I'll take any credit that's due. What're ya gonna do?

Falrin
2007-04-25, 12:03 PM
Shouldn't he be able to make some Items himself? Maybe give him some bonus crafting feats (he'll still need help to get the right spells).

I'd give him 'craft adaptibility' : You can use any craft skill untrained. You treat you item-Users LvL as ranks in these skills. Note: Your total ranks still can't exceed your LvL+3 and you still gein your int mod as a bonus.

Also: Maybe some identify abbility? Take a look at the loremaster for this.

Greater Lore (Ex (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#extraordinaryAbilities))

At 6th level, a loremaster gains the ability to understand magic items, as with the identify (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/identify.htm) spell.
True Lore (Ex (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#extraordinaryAbilities))

At 10th level, once per day a loremaster can use her knowledge to gain the effect of a legend lore (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/legendLore.htm) spell or an analyze dweomer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/analyzeDweomer.htm) spell.

These only effects Items ( & construct or other'item'-like things).

1dominator
2007-04-25, 12:58 PM
Hmmmm, I like it, with a little bit of tweaking it would be an awesome base class. Keep up the good work!
However though, if you break a staff of the magi, are you allowed to add your inner charges, to the staffs charges in terms of determining damage?
-Dom

Legoman
2007-04-25, 01:46 PM
Artificer - Ebberon Campaign Setting.

You're beated.

Orzel
2007-04-25, 10:15 PM
Can't beleive I forgot an Identify feature.

I didn't want the Item-user to be a master crafter. He'd just be able to replace and recreate the items he uses.

Also Alchemy
Also also Artificers are bad.

Legoman
2007-04-25, 10:56 PM
Can't beleive I forgot an Identify feature.

I didn't want the Item-user to be a master crafter. He'd just be able to replace and recreate the items he uses.

Also Alchemy
Also also Artificers are bad.

So you took a Rogue, dropped half the skill points, all the combat abilities, all the special abilities, and added... the ability to use UMD, which the rogue already has... plus the ability to craft, over a prohibitively long period of time?

.... Whatever floats your boat, man.