PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monster Races - Duergar, Goblin, Lizardfolk, & Kobold (PEACH)

Geodude6
2015-06-10, 11:59 AM
Hi! I'm running a campaign in my homebrew setting, and I'd like the players to be able to play as "monster" races if they want. I'm seeking feedback on the 4 races I designed: the Duergar, Goblin (includes hobgoblin), Lizardfolk, and Kobold. On the surface I think they're balanced, but I wanted to get outside feedback.

Gray Dwarf (Duergar)

This is a dwarf subrace, so this is on top of everything that dwarves get.

ABILITY SCORE ADJUSTMENT: Your Strength and Intelligence scores each increase by 1.

SUPERIOR DARKVISION: Your darkvision has a radius of 120 feet.

SUNLIGHT SENSITIVITY: You have disadvantage on attack rolls and Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.

DUERGAR MAGIC: You know the Thaumaturgy cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the enlarge effect of Enlarge/Reduce on yourself once per day. When you reach 5th level, you can cast Invisibility on yourself once per day.

EXTRA LANGUAGE: You can speak, read, and write Undercommon.

I also have a racial feat for duergar characters to take:

Duergar Resilience
Prerequisite: Dwarf (gray)

You become more resistant to magical effects.You have advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against magic.

Goblin

ABILITY SCORE ADJUSTMENT: Your Dexterity score is increased by 2.

AGE: Goblins mature very quickly. A goblin of even 10 years old could be considered an adult. Goblins tend to live short and fast lives, and even the lucky survivors rarely make it past their fifth decade.

ALIGNMENT: Most goblins tend toward Neutral or Neutral Evil. Their general behavior includes some very chaotic elements, but is balanced by their loyalty to their group and putting the needs of the tribe above their own. And yet, their desperate struggle for survival means that there is nearly no limit to the evils they are likely to exercise upon those outside their tribe.

SIZE: The average goblin stands about 3 1/2 feet tall and weighs about 45 pounds. Your size is Small. Hobgoblins are a bit taller than this and are broad and muscular, as compared to other goblins which are lithe and scrawny. If you are a hobgoblin, your size is Medium.

SPEED: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

DARKVISION: Accustomed to life underground, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light.

MOB TACTICS: Your attack bonus and damage rolls are increased by 1 against a creature you target with a melee weapon attack if at least one of your allies is within 5 feet of both you and the target and that ally isn't incapacitated.

LANGUAGES: You can speak, read and write Common and Goblin. Goblins have their own language that they more or less share with Bugbears and Hobgoblins. There are dialect differences, but they can be overcome when speaking very clearly. However, the races do not share a script. While Hobgoblins use a complicated pictographic script, Goblins use a simple phonetic script using heavily modified Dwarven characters.

SUBRACE: The three subraces, forest goblins, hill goblins, and hobgoblins, are more like broad categories seperated by culture and environment. Some tribes are a mix of forest and hill goblins, but hobgoblins tend to look down on other races of goblins.

FOREST GOBLINS

ABILITY SCORE ADJUSTMENT: Your Wisdom score is increased by 1.

NIMBLE STEP: Opportunity attacks against you have disadvantage.

ANIMAL KINSHIP: You can cast the spells Animal Friendship and Speak with Animals once per day each. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells. In addition, you have proficiency with the Animal Handling skill.

PRIMITIVE WEAPON TRAINING: You have proficiency with spears, shortbows, whips, and nets. Additionally, you have proficiency with hide armor.

HILL GOBLINS

ABILITY SCORE ADJUSTMENT: Your Constitution score increases by 1.

SLIPPERY: You have advantage on ability checks to escape grapples, restraints, or attacks that impede your movement.

SNEAKY: You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.

PRIMITIVE WEAPON TRAINING: You have proficiency with spears, shortbows, whips, and nets. Additionally, you have proficiency with hide armor.

HOBGOBLINS

ABILITY SCORE ADJUSTMENT: Your Strength score is increased by 2.

HOBGOBLIN ARMOR TRAINING: You have proficiency with light armor, medium armor, and shields.

HOBGOBLIN WEAPON TRAINING: You have proficiency with javelins, longswords, shortbows, and longbows.

MILITARY TACTICS: When one of your allies makes a melee weapon attack against a creature, his or her attack bonus and damage rolls are increased by 1 if you are within 5 feet of both that ally and his or her target, and you aren't incapacitated.

Lizardfolk
ABILITY SCORE ADJUSTMENT: Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.

AGE: Most lizardfolk reach adulthood around age 12, and can live to be about 120.

ALIGNMENT: Lizardfolk are typically neutral, relying on animal instinct rather than a moral compass to guide them.

SIZE: Lizardfolk typically stand between 6 and 7 feet tall and weigh around 230 pounds. Your size is Medium.

SPEED: Your base walking speed is 30 feet. You also have a base swim speed of 30 feet.

HOLD BREATH: You can hold your breath for an additional 15 minutes.

TOUGH CLAWS: Your sharp claws mean that you are never unarmed. Your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 slashing or damage on a hit, and you are considered proficient in your unarmed strikes.

TOUGH SCALES: Your hard, scaly exterior grants you natural armor. Your Armor Class increases by 2 when you are not wearing armor. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.

LANGUAGES: You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic.

Kobold

ABILITY SCORE ADJUSTMENT: Your Dexterity score increases by 2.

AGE: Once hatched, kobolds mature at a breakneck pace. By the time a kobold reaches 7 or 8 years old, on average, they are mentally and physically capable to assist the tribe in some capacity. Kobolds can live to be over 120 years old, but usually die to external causes before then.

ALIGNMENT: Kobolds are fiercely loyal to their tribe. Thus, they tend toward lawful alignments.

SIZE: Kobolds are diminutive creatures, rarely reaching over 2 1/2 feet tall. Your size is Small.

SPEED: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

DARKVISION: Accustomed to life underground, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light.

SUNLIGHT SENSITIVITY: You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.

MOB TACTICS: Your attack bonus and damage rolls are increased by 1 against a creature you target with a melee weapon attack if at least one of your allies is within 5 feet of both you and the target and that ally isn't incapacitated.

LANGUAGES: You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic.

SUBRACE: Choose between the Burrows Kobold, Loredrake Kobold or the Winged Kobold.

BURROWS KOBOLD

ABILITY SCORE ADJUSTMENT: Your Constitution score increases by 1.

AMBUSHER: When you roll damage for a melee weapon attack against a creature that is surprised, you may reroll the weapon's damage dice and use either total.

BONUS PROFICIENCIES: You are proficient with thieves' tools.

LOREDRAKE KOBOLD

ABILITY SCORE ADJUSTMENT: Your Charisma score increases by 1.

SORCERER INITIATE: You know 2 cantrips of your choice from the Sorcerer spell list. In addition, you know one 1st-level spell from the Sorcerer spell list. You can cast this spell once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

WINGED KOBOLD (URD)

ABILITY SCORE ADJUSTMENT: Your Wisdom score increases by 1.

DRAGON WINGS: You gain a flying speed of 30 feet.

EDIT 6/11/15: Changed Duergar, reduced urd's fly speed.

eleazzaar
2015-06-10, 01:14 PM
Grey Dwarf:

I'd judge the Grey Dwarves to be stronger than any PHB races. The base dwarf Chassis is strong, and you are loading on a good stuff, an extra ASI, but especially the Gnomish Resiliance, which is quite a powerful trait. Sunlight sensitivity isn't nearly enough balance it.

As for the Feat, it seems quite a bit more powerful than other magic-granting feats, or magical racial abilities. Magic Initiate gives you two cantrips and a L1 spell 1/day. You grant a cantrip and two L2 spells that recharge on a short rest. All other magic races get recharge on a long rest except for the Svifneblin Magic feat, which grants a limitied use of "nondetection" at will.

But it is one thing to grant an average powered race like the deep gnomes (that are pretty much only good at being a casters) a feat that offers some extra spells, but to give a quite powerful race more spells than they could otherwise get for a feat seems worse.

Goblin

5e wisely avoids giving situational +1s, for a more streamlined experience than 3.5 offered.

With all the stuff goblins get, i'd put them with the most powerful PHB races-- maybe beyond.

In addition, you ignore the "heavy" trait of weapons that have it.
That's meaningless. Heavy only gives small creatures disadvantage-- it has no other effect.

Lizardfolk
A nice safe race. I'd put it at about average power with no odd abilities that are interesting, but hard to judge the power of.

Kobolds

I'd judge them to be below average in power, except for the winged one. Flight at L1 is a significant and much debated ability as to how powerful it is, but at the very least it makes that kobold more powerful than the others, if not quite a lot more.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-10, 03:14 PM
Hi! I'm running a campaign in my homebrew setting, and I'd like the players to be able to play as "monster" races if they want. I'm seeking feedback on the 4 races I designed: the Duergar, Goblin (includes hobgoblin), Lizardfolk, and Kobold. On the surface I think they're balanced, but I wanted to get outside feedback.

Gray Dwarf (Duergar)

I actually think the duergar is ok, balance-wise. I prefer my take on it (no stat boosts, Enlarge as a racial ability), because the MM duergar has really mediocre stats, but this is ok.

Goblin

Ditch the +1s (and replace them with something else), they don't belong in 5e. Other than that, I like these. I mean, I'd argue that Hobgoblins aren't a subrace of Goblin, but that's probably because I'm secretly a Hobgoblin supremacist.

Lizardfolk

Simple, easy to use, nice. My only thing is: 12+Dex AC is pants; any idiot with 45gp in her pocket can get that (and it looks like the MM Lizardfolk is 13+Dex). EDIT: though it occurs to me now that, the way you've phrased it, it's amazing for monks and barbarians. If I were you, I'd have it as the standard AC=13+Dex. That benefits more classes (especially rogue, which I most associate with Lizardfolk) and doesn't stack weirdly.

Kobold

Do kobolds really like to 120? I have a hard time buying that. 40ft flight is good; maybe good enough to drop the +1 Wis and have it as the only subrace feature.

Geodude6
2015-06-10, 05:20 PM
Grey Dwarf:

I'd judge the Grey Dwarves to be stronger than any PHB races. The base dwarf Chassis is strong, and you are loading on a good stuff, an extra ASI, but especially the Gnomish Resilience, which is quite a powerful trait. Sunlight sensitivity isn't nearly enough balance it.

As for the Feat, it seems quite a bit more powerful than other magic-granting feats, or magical racial abilities. Magic Initiate gives you two cantrips and a L1 spell 1/day. You grant a cantrip and two L2 spells that recharge on a short rest. All other magic races get recharge on a long rest except for the Svifneblin Magic feat, which grants a limitied use of "nondetection" at will.

But it is one thing to grant an average powered race like the deep gnomes (that are pretty much only good at being a casters) a feat that offers some extra spells, but to give a quite powerful race more spells than they could otherwise get for a feat seems worse.

I see. What if I swapped around the spellcasting and the resilience? Give them Thaum at 1, Invis at 3, and Enlarge at 5, make them recharge on a long rest, and then make the resilience be a feat? Would that be a less overpowering?

Goblin

5e wisely avoids giving situational +1s, for a more streamlined experience than 3.5 offered.

With all the stuff goblins get, i'd put them with the most powerful PHB races-- maybe beyond.
I gave them Mob Tactics because goblins' preferred fighting style is to swarm the enemy with overwhelming numbers, and I think this trait accurately reflects that because it encourages fighting in a group. I didn't want to give them Pack Tactics from the MM because that would let goblin rogues sneak attack all day, every day.

That's meaningless. Heavy only gives small creatures disadvantage-- it has no other effect.
That line about heavy weapons is a holdover from when I had hobbos being small like the other goblins, before I realised they were medium-sized. It's no longer supposed to be there.

Kobolds

I'd judge them to be below average in power, except for the winged one. Flight at L1 is a significant and much debated ability as to how powerful it is, but at the very least it makes that kobold more powerful than the others, if not quite a lot more.

Would it be better if I reduced the fly speed a tad?

I actually think the duergar is ok, balance-wise. I prefer my take on it (no stat boosts, Enlarge as a racial ability), because the MM duergar has really mediocre stats, but this is ok.

Have you gotten any feedback from other people about it? I looked at it and it seems more powerful than mine, since mine's resilience is limited to spells with Int/Wis/Cha saves.

Ditch the +1s (and replace them with something else), they don't belong in 5e.
See my above comment about Mob Tactics.

Simple, easy to use, nice. My only thing is: 12+Dex AC is pants; any idiot with 45gp in her pocket can get that.

http://i.imgur.com/MniUIHZ.gif
I originally had it at +3 but reduced it because I thought it might be too strong. I'll probably change it back.

EDIT: though it occurs to me now that, the way you've phrased it, it's amazing for monks and barbarians.

This is intentional.

Do kobolds really live to 120? I have a hard time buying that. 40ft flight is good; maybe good enough to drop the +1 Wis and have it as the only subrace feature.

They do live to 120+, at least according to Races of the Dragon. But do note the second half of that sentence.

...but usually die to external causes before then.

eleazzaar
2015-06-10, 06:11 PM
I see. What if I swapped around the spellcasting and the resilience? Give them Thaum at 1, Invis at 3, and Enlarge at 5, make them recharge on a long rest, and then make the resilience be a feat? Would that be a less overpowering?
Yeah, that would be better. This subrace would then be pretty much paralell to the subrace Drow-- if you gave them one more ASI. Still above PHB power-levels.

I gave them Mob Tactics because goblins' preferred fighting style is to swarm the enemy with overwhelming numbers, and I think this trait accurately reflects that because it encourages fighting in a group. I didn't want to give them Pack Tactics from the MM because that would let goblin rogues sneak attack all day, every day.
Not everything has to be about advantage. What if you took away the bonus to attack, and let them re-roll 1s and 2s on the damage dice, or even added an extra dice of damage? That would be more in line with 5e because it is more streamlined.

Would it be better if I reduced the fly speed a tad?
Yeah, with a 30ft fly speed you still have all the mobility advantages of flying, you just don't also have the ability to outrun almost everybody else.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-11, 01:09 AM
I could get on board with 30' fly for the Urd.

If you go with the 1/3/5 Duergar magic, I'd put Enlarge at 3 and Invisibility at 5, because they're both second-level but Enlarge only gives you half the utility of the spell (assuming they're both self-only).

And I did ask for comments on my Duergar, but only one person replied (Project: Fey took over the thread). The only question was whether Enlarge should be short or long rest.