PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Feedback wanted on magic weapon

Groggen
2015-06-10, 03:05 PM
Hello

I am currently running the Princes of the Apocalypse campaign with my regular group. One of the players is a flail-wielding Paladin with the Murderer hook. The murderer also took his mentors flail, and the player/character of course wants it back. I'm estimating he gets it back between level 9-11. Here's what I have made for him so far:

Flail of Reckoning
Magic weapon, very rare (requires attunement by a good-aligned paladin or cleric)

Originally crafted for a general in the demon army that invaded

Weapon die: 1d10 bludgeoning

Created to inflict as much pain as possible, this weapon deals critical damage on 19-20.

The mere impact of this weapon gives the wielder advantage on attempts to disarm an opponent.

Blessings of Tyr
This weapon, having been blessed by Tyr, have 4 charges that recharge each day at dawn.

Whenever you use a spell slot to deal smite damage, you can expend 1 charge to make the flail flare with a bright light and deal an additional 3d8 radiant damage. Additionally, the target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be blinded until the end of your next turn.

While holding it, you can use an action to spend 1 charge to invoke the Benevolence of Tyr or 1 charge to incur the Wrath of Tyr. Once you have used one of theses abilities, neither can be used again until the next dawn.

Benevolence of Tyr: Healing energy radiates from you in an aura with a 30-foot radius. Until the spell ends (1 minute), the aura moves with you, centered on you. You can use a bonus action to cause one creature in the aura (including you) to regain 3d8+spellcasting modifier hit points.

Wrath of tyr: A vertical column of divine fire roars down from the heavens in a location you specify. Each creature in a 20-foot radius, 40-foot-high cylinder centered on a point within range must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 10d6 radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

I don't want to give him something that's severely OP, but even less I want to give him something underpowered.. Any feeedback will be greatly appreciated.

darkscizor
2015-06-10, 11:20 PM
I'd say it's pretty OP at that level. At 9, fighters have on average 64 HP and can't even use multiattack; I use that fact for balance when homebrewing stuff. Honestly, making it a +2 flail, giving it 1d3 charges a day (max. 5) and allowing it to either add nd6 radiant damage to your damage roll when smiting or deal 1d10 radiant damage to all evil creatures within n 10-foot cubes of space would be appropriate for a magic item like this, if you still think a few powers like that would be cool. n=the amount of charges used for the power in question.

Groggen
2015-06-11, 12:08 AM
I'd say it's pretty OP at that level. At 9, fighters have on average 64 HP and can't even use multiattack; I use that fact for balance when homebrewing stuff. Honestly, making it a +2 flail, giving it 1d3 charges a day (max. 5) and allowing it to either add nd6 radiant damage to your damage roll when smiting or deal 1d10 radiant damage to all evil creatures within n 10-foot cubes of space would be appropriate for a magic item like this, if you still think a few powers like that would be cool. n=the amount of charges used for the power in question.

Thanks. Yeah, that's what I was worried about. I want to avoid the flat bonuses, so I tried giving it something with more flavour, but I will have to scale it down quite a bit then. I might make the abilities something that can unlock at higher levels instead, like a kind of Legacy weapon. Appreciate it :)