PDA

View Full Version : what diety should I worship

Ettina
2015-06-10, 03:40 PM
I have a cool character idea of a multiclass cleric/sorcerer or cleric/wizard who believes that there is no ethical issue with mind control because free will is an illusion anyway - we are all just machines functioning according to a very complex but entirely predetermined set of calculations going on within our brains. Since we have no free will anyway, it doesn't really matter if we're being controlled by our own biology or by someone else's spell. (Obviously, he's not going to be Good-aligned, though whether he's neutral or evil is open to debate.) In terms of combat, he'll be focused mainly on mind-affecting spells, including using charm person + hypnotism at early levels to control his minions (who he then buffs and supports as they fight).

But to have him do the stuff I want, I need a diety who grants the Domination domain, plus either the Charm Domain or the Beguilement Domain (I'd prefer Beguilement). My DM's OK with me making up a diety, but if there already is a diety out there who works for him both mechanics and fluffwise, I'd rather use them.

Flickerdart
2015-06-10, 03:44 PM
The following deities grant Domination: Gruumsh, Hextor, St. Cuthbert, Tiamat, Wee Jas, Ilsensine, Laduguer, Memnor.
The following deities grant Charm: Kol Korran, Eilistraee, Finder Wyvernspur, Gargauth, Hanali Celanil, Lliira, Milil, Oghma, Sharess, Sharindlar, Sheela Peryroyl, Sune.
Beguilement has no specific listed deities but says: Gods of trickery, rulership, and magic might grant access to this domain.

So Wee Jas seems like an excellent candidate for your deity.

Snowbluff
2015-06-10, 10:43 PM
So Wee Jas seems like an excellent candidate for your deity.

I second Wee Jas. Wee Jas is pretty cool.

Venger
2015-06-10, 10:48 PM
I have a cool character idea of a multiclass cleric/sorcerer or cleric/wizard who believes that there is no ethical issue with mind control because free will is an illusion anyway - we are all just machines functioning according to a very complex but entirely predetermined set of calculations going on within our brains. Since we have no free will anyway, it doesn't really matter if we're being controlled by our own biology or by someone else's spell. (Obviously, he's not going to be Good-aligned, though whether he's neutral or evil is open to debate.) In terms of combat, he'll be focused mainly on mind-affecting spells, including using charm person + hypnotism at early levels to control his minions (who he then buffs and supports as they fight).

But to have him do the stuff I want, I need a diety who grants the Domination domain, plus either the Charm Domain or the Beguilement Domain (I'd prefer Beguilement). My DM's OK with me making up a diety, but if there already is a diety out there who works for him both mechanics and fluffwise, I'd rather use them.

beaten to the punch by flickerdart.

you could make him Good if you wanted to. only mindrape has the [evil] descriptor, you can always use its twin, programmed amnesia, or its nasty big brother, sanctify the wicked. mind control is totally a Good act (not that it prevents other alignments, it just doesn't preclude Good)

Thealtruistorc
2015-06-10, 10:55 PM
The Trafalmadorians from Slaughterhouse Five (they aren't technically a deity, but given the incredible abilities they possess and the way Billy talks about them they may as well be). They are essentially a race of superbeings that see all of time at once and accept that fate (including the fact that they will one day destroy their universe) cannot be changed. I envision them being LN or TN (some could argue LE), but am kind of blanking on domains. I encourage you to check them out, and I know my DMs have never balked at noncanon deities if you roleplay well.

Marlowe
2015-06-11, 01:46 AM
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/Joncharlesspencer/Plnet_2.jpg

Snowbluff
2015-06-11, 01:57 AM
Red Knight is pretty good, too, but I don't think she's red headed.

Marlowe
2015-06-11, 02:13 AM

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/c/cb/Red_knight_fell_foe.png/revision/latest?cb=20120202021111
And in others no.
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/4/48/ShNoSaRKSh.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090324182751
Forgotten Realms....:smallyuk:

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-11, 02:16 AM

Hm. I definitely like Red Knight. She's pretty much a setting-specific version of Halmyr (or, more properly, Halmyr is a setting-neutral version of her, but I learned about Halmyr first), and he's my favorite deity by a long shot. I generally don't like the idea of my character being strongly devoted to a god to the point of serving that god, which is what keeps me away from playing a lot of divine spellcasters, but Halmyr's cool enough that I'd totally play a cleric of him.

However, Red Knight doesn't give any of the domains OP wants, so Wee Jas is probably a better fit.

Marlowe
2015-06-11, 02:36 AM
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/Joncharlesspencer/character.jpg

LoyalPaladin
2015-06-11, 09:55 AM
I'd like to second Oghma and Sharess. Wee Jas is neat too.