PDA

View Full Version : Optimization If Roy from Fire Emblem/SSBM was a 3.5 character what would he be?

Reprimand
2015-06-10, 04:07 PM
I was thinking like a fighter but it seems very plain for a noble trained in combat and versed in battle tactics. I thought bard with that dragon fire feat but I don't see it working well.

I'm also strapped for feat ideas outside like power attack, leap attack and so on, but they don't work in tandem well with a one handed weapon.
Are there feats for characters that only use one weapon and nothing in the offhand?

I already have a custom item for the sword of seals/binding blade. But I'm never very good at creating a flavorful character.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Flickerdart
2015-06-10, 04:14 PM
Are there feats for characters that only use one weapon and nothing in the offhand?
Yes. These feats are terrible. You should either wield a one-handed weapon in two hands, or use a two-handed weapon. If you must use a one-handed weapon one-handed, use Warblade or Crusader. In fact, Warblade is very appropriate - Roy may be a nobleman, but that doesn't affect his combat skills, and in Fire Emblem: Awakening he is a Mercenary rather than a Lord.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-10, 04:21 PM
Seconding the Warblade suggestion. Also, ask your DM if you can backport the Scarlet Throne discipline (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/scarlet-throne-maneuvers) from Path of War (a PF ToB update), along with possibly the Scarlet Throne Style feat chain from this document (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EPARqt5jpie03MIXStgFrNK_si6g218bjT4TFbcizPY/edit). Both the discipline and the feats have support for OHF that make it actually viable.

Nihilarian
2015-06-10, 05:25 PM
Fighter 20 with an awesome custom magic sword. He wields it in 2 hands so go that route so you can at least deal damage.

Or play a Warblade with Desert Wind, that would probably be more fun.

Edit: actually, 1 level of bard, 19 levels of Warblade and the Snowflake Wardance, Dragonfire Inspiration and Song of the White Raven feats would be my suggestion. That fits all your needs.

Troacctid
2015-06-10, 05:33 PM
He seems like just a Fighter with a magic sword. He doesn't have any special magic powers, right? He's just a skilled warrior with an awesome flaming weapon? That'd be a Fighter. Or Warblade, but Warblades are pretty much just a prototype of the 4e Fighter, so it comes to the same thing, really. Possibly Kensai, if he has a special bond with his weapon.

I always assumed he had a magic sword, rather than being able to magically set fire to any weapon he wields. So he shouldn't actually have any class abilities related to fire.

Reprimand
2015-06-10, 06:31 PM
I really liked the scarlet throne feats/maneuvers very fitting I'll see if I can get the DM to let me use them.

Lets say its pathfinder which one of the Path of War classes would make the most sense?

Nihilarian
2015-06-10, 06:39 PM
Lets say its pathfinder which one of the Path of War classes would make the most sense?Warlord or zweihander Warder so you can get Scarlet Throne. I'd go Warlord since Roy's the leader of an army.

If you want some fire focus, picking up Elemental Flux and/or Solar Wind (assuming sword of seals gives you a ranged attack) might not be a bad idea.

Elricaltovilla
2015-06-10, 06:39 PM
I really liked the scarlet throne feats/maneuvers very fitting I'll see if I can get the DM to let me use them.

Lets say its pathfinder which one of the Path of War classes would make the most sense?

I'd say warlord. Good all around with lots of leadership stuff fitting for a nobleman.

Prime32
2015-06-10, 07:14 PM
I always assumed he had a magic sword, rather than being able to magically set fire to any weapon he wields. So he shouldn't actually have any class abilities related to fire.That's right. (http://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Binding_Blade_%28weapon%29)

The Binding Blade was forged in the Scouring for the purpose of fighting dragons, along with the other legendary weapons. Widely acknowledged by both humans and Jahn as being far stronger than the other legendary weapons, it exhibits a wide range of powers: it can generate fire for use in battle, can be used to heal its wielder, can vaguely convey the memories and feelings of its past wielders, and can increase the power of its bearer. Additionally, it reacts to the emotions of its wielder, changing its power and effect accordingly; in the final battle with the Demon Dragon Idenn at the Scouring's climax, it reacted to Hartmut's reluctance to kill Idenn and simply stunned her, and was later used in conjunction with the Fire Emblem to seal her away in the Shrine of Seals.
In-game it increases the wielder's defences while equipped, functions as both a melee and ranged weapon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCePyRiqpyw), deals triple damage to dragons, and can be used to restore the user's HP. Also, receiving it causes Roy's class to promote to Great Lord.

When Roy appeared in Awakening he had the bonus skills Aegis (chance to halve damage from ranged attacks, including bows, spells and dragon breath, based on the user's Skill stat), Dual Strike+ (when teamed up with an ally and one of you attacks, increase the chance that the other character can make a follow-up attack) and Tomebreaker (large bonus to accuracy and evasion against spellcasters).
In D&D terms I figure that's Evasion, some ability that improves flanking (or maybe shares teamwork feats, in PF), and either the Mage Slayer feat chain or a ranger dip for Favored Enemy (arcanists).

EDIT: Standard class skills in Awakening, meanwhile, were Armsthrift (chance to prevent loss in weapon durability/charges after an attack, based on the user's Luck stat), Axebreaker (like Tomebreaker, but for enemies wielding heavy weapons), Charisma Charm (minor aura of increased accuracy and evasion for allies), Patience (increased accuracy/evasion when the enemy attacks first) and Sol (chance to recover HP after an attack proportionate to the damage dealt, based on the user's Skill stat).
If he could access Great Lord in that game, then you could add Aether (minor chance to make two attacks instead of one, apply Sol to the first and ignore defences for the second, based on the user's Skill stat) and Rightful King (increases the odds that other skills will activate successfully).

Reprimand
2015-06-10, 08:23 PM
That's right. (http://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Binding_Blade_%28weapon%29)

In-game it increases the wielder's defences while equipped, functions as both a melee and ranged weapon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCePyRiqpyw), deals triple damage to dragons, and can be used to restore the user's HP. Also, receiving it causes Roy's class to promote to Great Lord.

When Roy appeared in Awakening he had the bonus skills Aegis (chance to halve damage from ranged attacks, including bows, spells and dragon breath, based on the user's Skill stat), Dual Strike+ (when teamed up with an ally and one of you attacks, increase the chance that the other character can make a follow-up attack) and Tomebreaker (large bonus to accuracy and evasion against spellcasters).
In D&D terms I figure that's Evasion, some ability that improves flanking (or maybe shares teamwork feats, in PF), and either the Mage Slayer feat chain or a ranger dip for Favored Enemy (arcanists).

EDIT: Standard class skills in Awakening, meanwhile, were Armsthrift (chance to prevent loss in weapon durability/charges after an attack, based on the user's Luck stat), Axebreaker (like Tomebreaker, but for enemies wielding heavy weapons), Charisma Charm (minor aura of increased accuracy and evasion for allies), Patience (increased accuracy/evasion when the enemy attacks first) and Sol (chance to recover HP after an attack proportionate to the damage dealt, based on the user's Skill stat).
If he could access Great Lord in that game, then you could add Aether (minor chance to make two attacks instead of one, apply Sol to the first and ignore defences for the second, based on the user's Skill stat) and Rightful King (increases the odds that other skills will activate successfully).

Would you say its more of a longsword or rapier?

What kind of stat block for a weapon would we be looking at? 1d8/(19(18?)-20)x2 and like 30 ft range attack?

Plus flaming (flaming burst?) dragon bane or something similar increases to ac or granting evasion and perhaps a feat chain if not already possessed and must fulfill story requirements to fully wield or unlock its power.

Not sure how to balance this and make it like THE weapon to have.

Nihilarian
2015-06-10, 08:28 PM
His default is a rapier, the sword of seals is more like a longsword.

Edit: the ability to attack at 30ft. With all damage converted to fire works for the ranged attack. Flaming Burst works for the critical.

Reprimand
2015-06-10, 08:32 PM

I see. Is it unfair to give what is normally a melee weapon a range increment and also let it threaten space?

Flickerdart
2015-06-10, 08:34 PM
From what I recall, the GBA games didn't change the characters' sprites regardless of what they wielded. All of Roy's sprites, as well as all of his appearances in other games and artwork, have him holding a longsword.

Nihilarian
2015-06-10, 08:37 PM
I see. Is it unfair to give what is normally a melee weapon a range increment and also let it threaten space?Not really. Thrown weapons are already a thing, anyway.

Oh, there's a sword in Book of Exalted Deeds. Sword of Arvandor, I think. It's a longsword, but as a standard action you can pump out a bunch of stars (equal to the number of attacks you can make in a full attack) to shoot at enemies. You could model the sword of seals after that. Change the ranged attack's damage to fire, add Dragonbane and Flaming Burst. Not sure what to do about the healing of increased defenses.

Nihilarian
2015-06-10, 08:41 PM
From what I recall, the GBA games didn't change the characters' sprites regardless of what they wielded. All of Roy's sprites, as well as all of his appearances in other games and artwork, have him holding a longsword.the video Prime32 posted showed that they did.

For posterity: everyone has a base melee animation for whatever weapon type they can wield, a ranged animation for any weapon type they can wield, and certain characters get special animations with special weapons. I believe only Roy has the special animations in FE 6 (with SoS) but his dad has special animations with Durandal in FE 7.

Flickerdart
2015-06-10, 08:50 PM
the video Prime32 posted showed that they did.
I'm referring to the map sprites. Roy's all have the same weapon.

Nihilarian
2015-06-10, 08:54 PM
I'm referring to the map sprites. Roy's all have the same weapon.why in the world would that matter?

Edit: also, his map sprite looks like it's holding a rapier. Because he fights with a rapier until he gets the Sword of Seals.

Flickerdart
2015-06-10, 09:02 PM
why in the world would that matter?
Because it's yet more evidence that his signature weapon - and thus the one most appropriate for this character - is not the rapier.

Elricaltovilla
2015-06-10, 09:06 PM
Well I focus pretty solidly on Pathfinder, but if I was going to make Roy it'd be as a Warlord focusing on Scarlet Throne (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/scarlet-throne-maneuvers) and Golden Lion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/golden-lion-maneuvers), with a smattering of Elemental Flux (https://docs.google.com/document/d/14BiQj1sEeeEH0Nbyiyf-o0Kg4N5uDM5XwwqeWOJ21dI/edit) to give some ranged fire attacks.

The Sword of Seals would probably be a Bastard Sword by the looks of it, which kind of sucks because of EWP. But I'd peg it as a +X Defending, Flaming Burst Dragon Bane Bastard Sword. That covers the Fire, the Dragon Slaying, and the Bonus Defense it grants.

Nihilarian
2015-06-10, 09:09 PM
His starting weapon is called the rapier. His map sprite shows him holding a thin sword. His combat animations are him stabbing enemies with a thin sword.

His signature weapon is a longsword called the Sword of Seals, but that's the only longsword he wields in FE6.

Edit: to correct myself, his promoted map sprite wields the Sword of Seals. His base map sprite still wields a rapier.

Flickerdart
2015-06-10, 09:14 PM
His starting weapon is called the rapier. His map sprite shows him holding a thin sword. His combat animations are him stabbing enemies with a thin sword.
Not in the sprites I'm looking at - that's definitely no rapier. It very clearly has a broad blade and straight cross-guard. The difference is even more apparent when viewed next to Eliwood's sprite, which has an obvious rapier with a much thinner blade and a round guard.

Nihilarian
2015-06-10, 09:17 PM
Not in the sprites I'm looking at - that's definitely no rapier. It very clearly has a broad blade and straight cross-guard. The difference is even more apparent when viewed next to Eliwood's sprite, which has an obvious rapier with a much thinner blade and a round guard.yeah, I realized what was going on after I posted. You are probably looking at his promoted sprites, his base sprite uses a rapier.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/13/14169.png

Suichimo
2015-06-11, 11:43 AM
Would you say its more of a longsword or rapier?

What kind of stat block for a weapon would we be looking at? 1d8/(19(18?)-20)x2 and like 30 ft range attack?

Plus flaming (flaming burst?) dragon bane or something similar increases to ac or granting evasion and perhaps a feat chain if not already possessed and must fulfill story requirements to fully wield or unlock its power.

Not sure how to balance this and make it like THE weapon to have.

Outside of the fire damage and effectiveness against dragons, the Sword of Seals should provide DR and ER against all forms of damage.

From what I recall, the GBA games didn't change the characters' sprites regardless of what they wielded. All of Roy's sprites, as well as all of his appearances in other games and artwork, have him holding a longsword.

His signature weapon is a longsword called the Sword of Seals, but that's the only longsword he wields in FE6.

Honestly, from his combat sprite, the Sword of Seals seems much larger than a long sword. He also wields it in two hands, though that may be due to his age rather than the size of the sword.

Edit: to correct myself, his promoted map sprite wields the Sword of Seals. His base map sprite still wields a rapier.

yeah, I realized what was going on after I posted. You are probably looking at his promoted sprites, his base sprite uses a rapier.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/13/14169.png

He is talking about using the Sword of Seals, he is clearly promoted at this point. His unpromoted stuff doesn't matter.

Prime32
2015-06-11, 02:17 PM
Would you say its more of a longsword or rapier?I'm going to say that, while Roy's default weapon is called a Rapier in-game, in D&D it would be an exotic weapon (based on how normally only Lords can equip rapiers). Maybe an elven thinblade? The FE Rapier (http://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Rapier)'s mechanics are to deal triple damage to mounted or heavily armored units. The closest equivalent I can think of in D&D is weapons that can be readied against a charge.
So... I suggest an adamantine +1 elven thinblade with the enchantments of steadfast bootsMIC added on.

The Sword of Seals is heavier - Roy needs two hands to wield it, and uses chopping motions rather than thrusting. The only reason he one-hands it in Smash Bros. is that his moveset was cloned from Marth's. I'm going to say bastard sword (without EWP) or greatsword.

Reprimand
2015-06-11, 02:34 PM
I'm going to say that, while Roy's default weapon is called a Rapier in-game, in D&D it would be an exotic weapon (based on how normally only Lords can equip rapiers). Maybe an elven thinblade? The FE Rapier (http://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Rapier)'s mechanics are to deal triple damage to mounted or heavily armored units. The closest equivalent I can think of in D&D is weapons that can be readied against a charge.
So... I suggest an adamantine +1 elven thinblade with the enchantments of steadfast bootsMIC added on.

The Sword of Seals is heavier - Roy needs two hands to wield it, and uses chopping motions rather than thrusting. The only reason he one-hands it in Smash Bros. is that his moveset was cloned from Marth's. I'm going to say bastard sword (without EWP) or greatsword.

Good to know do you have any ideas for an actual stat block for the sword of seals? so far I'm thinking +5 flaming burst, dragon bane, defending +x (not sure here or some kind of healing and spell resistance mechanic), grants evasion from breath weapons and resistance 15 to the key element of any dragon you are fighting. This is a major artifact with an ego so I mean its supposed to be powerful and I'm going to go with a bastard sword. It CAN be wielded in one hand its just very difficult which roy obviously got better at in melee. But instead of EWP I'll put in some kind of you can go here to train and learn the ways of the sword as a side quest. I always do that in my games who wants to take iron will? Nobody. Who wants to advance into that mage killing PRC some people but they don't want to burn feats to do it.

@sulchimo actually I really like that too.

Suichimo
2015-06-11, 03:17 PM
I agree with Roy being a Warblade focused on White Raven Tactics. A large part of Roy's character is how he interacts with his troops.

Good to know do you have any ideas for an actual stat block for the sword of seals? so far I'm thinking +5 flaming burst, dragon bane, defending +x (not sure here or some kind of healing and spell resistance mechanic), grants evasion from breath weapons and resistance 15 to the key element of any dragon you are fighting. This is a major artifact with an ego so I mean its supposed to be powerful and I'm going to go with a bastard sword. It CAN be wielded in one hand its just very difficult which roy obviously got better at in melee. But instead of EWP I'll put in some kind of you can go here to train and learn the ways of the sword as a side quest. I always do that in my games who wants to take iron will? Nobody. Who wants to advance into that mage killing PRC some people but they don't want to burn feats to do it.

@sulchimo actually I really like that too.

In an effort to translate the mechanics as well as possible, no defending or spell resistance.

Binding Blade - 1~2 8 18 95 10 20 - Lord/Master Lord only, Def and Res +5, effective against Mamkutes and Demon Dragons, can be used to recover 30 HP

The first item in the listing is the skill level needed to use it, as it is a Roy exclusive weapon it doesn't have one so we can ignore it.

The next is its range, it can strike 1 or 2 squares away. Unfortunately, we don't have a great way to scale in between the two games.

Next is its weight. It has a weight of 8 compared to the iron sword's weight of 5. If we equate the iron sword to D&D's long sword, we get a weight of 6.5lbs. Only half a pound heavier than the bastard sword.

Now here is probably the single hardest weapon statistic to transfer between the two games. Might. 18 Might puts the Sword of Seals at the top ranking position and more than three times as damaging as the iron sword. Oddly enough, giving it a bit of thought while writing this, an iron sword's mt of 5 is pretty much a long sword's average damage of 4.5. So maybe it can be converted directly.

Next is accuracy, weapons don't really have this in D&D so I think we should probably just skip it.

After that is crit chance. 10 Crit would best be described as an expanded crit chance, it isn't Rutger levels of crit though. I think an 18-20 would probably do it justice.

Then we have uses. Again, a stat that can't really be translated to D&D.

Finally, we have the sword's abilities. To start with, this is an empathic weapon and responds to its wielders intents. Roy doesn't kill Idoun because he didn't want to kill Idoun. After that we have its Def/Res+5, Defense is translated to D&D as Damage Reduction and Resistance is translated as Energy Resistance, it has a little bit of spell resistance to it but not enough to matter. Then we have its ability to heal 30HP, this can also be said as being able to heal half of your health. I would go ahead and just give it a half heal or the ability to generate a heal spell.

As for the bonus of the weapon, I would actually say it is a +6 or higher. The weapon, lore wise, is easily an epic-level weapon.

Prime32
2015-06-11, 07:23 PM
After that is crit chance. 10 Crit would best be described as an expanded crit chance, it isn't Rutger levels of crit though. I think an 18-20 would probably do it justice.Desert Wind (the weapon) could represent a decent chunk of its abilities. The ToB version lost the defending property for some reason, but at full power it's still a +4 flaming burst scimitar that can shoot fire blasts. If we assume Legacy Champion = Great Lord, then you can use its Replace Legacy Ability class feature to pick up healing and dragonbane abilities.

StreamOfTheSky
2015-06-12, 09:46 AM
I literally just made him for my game a few months ago, to be the champion at the end of a tournament. It should be noted I used my own Fighter variation (which several of my players use in their dips, too). Which provided 4+int skill points with a better list, a list of "class disciplines" that Fighter level advances at full rate, and a free bonus maneuver known and readied at level 3 (and later levels, if he were higher level). I didn't bother giving him fire-based weapon because the fights required using nonlethal mundane versions of your normal weapon, but aside from that...
Roy
Swordsage 5 / Fighter (Hit and Run) 4
Str 18, Dex 16 (18), Con 14, Int 13, Wis 14 (16), Cha 8
HP: 80 (5d8 +4d10 +18)
AC: 27; Touch: 19; FF: 22
Saves: Fort +8, Reflex +7, Will +9
BAB +7; Grapple +11
Initiative +8; Speed 40 ft

Falchion [d20+14] and [d20+9] strikes for [2d4+10] and [2d4+10] damage!

Class: Wis to AC, +4 Initiative, Dex to dmg on FF, Wis to dmg on DM Strikes, Martial Study (Wall of Blades)
Feats:
1 Combat Reflexes
1 Desert Wind Dodge (+1 fire dmg after moving 10+ ft) [human]
1 Adaptive Style [flaw]
1 Combat Expertise [flaw]
1 Weapon Focus [SS 1]
2 Karmic Strike (take -4 AC; foes that hit you provoke AoO) [F1]
3 Deft Opportunist (+4 to hit on AoOs) [F2]
3 Nimble Deflections (+2 shield AC vs. one foe)
6 Improved Combat Reflexes (2nd AoO when provoked, at -5 to hit)
8 Weapon Specialization [F4]
9 Melee Weapon Mastery
Flaws: Shaky, Poor Reflexes
Traits: Cautious (+1 AC when fighting defensive / expertise)

Skills (76): Balance +18 [12], Concentration +14 [12], Jump +20 [5], Listen +9 [6], Martial Lore +11 [11], Perform (keyboard) +6 [7], Sense Motive +15 [12], Spot +9 [6], Tumble +18 [12], 5 more points

Maneuvers (11 known, 7 readied)
1 Counter Charge (C; choose opposed Dex or Str check)
1 Saph. NM Blade (S; Conc. vs. AC for +d6 damage; -2 to hit if fails)
1 Distracting Ember (B)
1 Sudden Leap (B) R
1 Burning Blade (B; +1d6+9 fire dmg for 1 round) R
2 Wall of Blades (C; use attack roll as AC)
3 Death Mark (S; 6d6 fire; Reflex DC 16 half) R
3 Insightful Strike (S; deal Conc. Check dmg) R
4 Death From Above (S; +4d6 dmg; foe is FF [+dex dmg]) R
4 Ruby NM Blade (S; Conc. vs. AC for 2x damage; -2 to hit if fails) R
5 Disrupting Blow (S; Will DC 19 or lose actions for 1 round) R

Stances:
1 Flame's Blessing (Fire Resist 10)
3 Roots of the Mountain (DR 2/-, +10 defense vs. trip, OR, BR, grapple,& tumble)
5 Shifting Defense (5 ft step after foe misses; consumes AoO) R

Gear: +1 Mithral Breastplate, +2 Dex, +2 Wis, RoP +1, Cloak of Resist +1, Boots of S&S and Agile Leaping, locked gauntlets

At the time, Karmic Strike was the only low level option I could find to mimic his counter ability. After the fact, a player pointed out the Riposte feat from Dragon magazine that would've been a better imitation.

EDIT: Death From Above + Burning Blade was his spinning sword uppercut Up+B move. Death Mark was his Neutral B charge-up. Wall of Blades and Karmic Strike both were half-way attempts to mimic his Down+B counter. Didn't bother to include the Side+B sword dance, I guess Flashing Sun would be good to mimic that if you want.