PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Increased Calorie Requirements: Fluff or Crunch?

Jendekit
2015-06-10, 05:34 PM
In a setting that I am working on, one of the playable races has a physiology that requires about half-again to double the amount of calories that humans do. Is this something that should be reflected mechanically or should it just be roleplayed?

Steampunkette
2015-06-10, 05:40 PM
Increase the cost of food and water when supplying, for sure.

But once on the road don't harp on it too much, I figure.

Unless you're in Dark Sun. Then constantly remind the player how much food/water they need to carry/intake.

And remind them how much food their allies have.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-06-10, 05:55 PM
Increase the cost of food and water when supplying, for sure.

Wouldn't even bother with this, honestly: it's a minor gold cost at most, and unless the players specifically call attention to it they'll never notice its absence.

Unless you're in Dark Sun. Then constantly remind the player how much food/water they need to carry/intake.

Basically, yes. If the campaign setting emphasizes survival, it's extremely important. But most don't, at least to that degree.

For example: Dwarves, Orces, Elves, and Humans all likely have different caloric requirements. We just don't see it, since it's not really important to the game.

LibraryOgre
2015-06-10, 06:39 PM
I'd go with an increase to lifestyle costs (i.e. buying food), and give them some sort of penalty for not doing it (i.e. "If you don't eat this increased amount, you take a -2 to all actions."). Some games will still ignore it, giving the race a boost in power, but they probably ignore that anyway.