PDA

View Full Version : Evangeline a.k. McDowell

nintendoh
2015-06-10, 05:52 PM
So I have been charged with making a dnd 3.5 version of eva. I have been found wanting. There is just too much. Just adding the vampire template kills the build. So far i have vamp, unarmed swordsage, sorcerer, jade phoniex mage refluffed as ice. With some sort of shadow magic user. It cant be done... At least by me. The loss of cl alone is too much to compensate for. People smarter then me please help!!#

Xerlith
2015-06-10, 06:07 PM
Swordsage? Nah.

Fully flavor-focused:
Necropolitan Illumian Cloistered Cleric 1/Sorcerer4/Frost Mage 4/Winterhaunt of Iborighu 8/Metaphysical Spell Shaper 3 (yep)

Persist things, slap things with cold things.

In all seriousness, a metamagic-reduction focused build that specializes in AoE cold magic will be just fine.

Her Magia Erebea is simply the Divine Power. Not that hard to replicate and doesn't need a gish build.

Forrestfire
2015-06-10, 06:13 PM
Well, I guess the first thing I'd want to ask is "are you trying to stat her up fully, as she is in the mangas, or are you trying to make something similar but more sane?"

In the former case, Evangeline is an effectively immortal high-level wizard with strong PrCs to put up Persistent Spell'd buffs. Incantatrix, maybe Spelldancer (it'd fit the "charge up power" theme for Magia Erebia). You don't quite need noncaster classes to be a master martial artist (after all, a level 20 wizard does have BAB +10, making them a better fighter than most of the world's Fighters). You don't really need the vampire template either, because most of her abilities don't quite match up (and recent things in UQ Holder have shown other, more important factors), so slap Necropolitan on the character or something and getting a source of healing/not dying (Delay Death + Beastlands Ferocity comes to mind). Then you can pick spells as needed to fit. She's had a long life and can do a lot of them, but thinking of the big ones...

Various force fields and barriers can be emulated with the Mage Armor and Shield line, or stuff like Celerity -> Wall of Force. Thunderlance from the Spell Compendium is 100% the Sword of Conviction, various metamagic'd blasting spells fit the rest of her major things. The one spell that I'm having trouble thinking of a fitting analogue of is her spell from the very last major fight in Negima, the one that tracked down created beings and froze them to death forever... But using some sort of shenanigans to apply, say, Chain Spell and Reach Spell to a Temporal Stasis would work, if we refluff it a bit.

In the latter case, I'd still say that Evangeline is a wizard, although there's less emphasis on keeping her high level and more emphasis on fun stuff. The build I'd go with is Wizard 6/Swiftblade 9/Abjurant Champion 5, grabbing a Monk's Belt for unarmed fighting and using Sanctum Spell and a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Quicken to pull out Thunderlance the Sword of Conviction at a moment's notice. Pick up ice-themed blasting spells and then you're good.

EDIT: Alternatively, what he said. Cleric with lots of metamagic reduction works great. The Customize Domain feat could be used to get off-list blasting spells, if you don't find ones you want on the Cleric list.

Prime32
2015-06-10, 07:58 PM
Maybe druid with the Nightbringer InitiateFoE feat and levels in Planar Shepherd (Quasi-paraelemental Plane of Frost)? With some variant that lets them get constructs as animal companions.

A War WeaverHoB might also work. Cast spellmantlePGtF on yourself (or get some kind of magic tattoo), setting it to defend against various ice-based spells. Pre-cast (stagnet) a bunch of these spells into your tapestry via Quiescent Weaving. Then release the tapestry as a move action - all the spells are cast (emittam) at once, then immediately absorbed (complexio) by your spellmantle and converted into buffs.

Tohsaka Rin
2015-06-11, 01:22 AM
One important thing to remember is that Eva is most definitely Epic Level.

She does things off the cuff that make the rest of the cast (Rakan aside) look like utter chumps. The only thing keeping her in check is that curse she has.

Prime32
2015-06-11, 02:29 PM
There's an lv7 spell in PHB2 called as the frost which temporarily transforms you into a cold-based outsider with a freezing aura. Could work for Eva's Armationem form. Though for the full effect you'd want to cast planar bubble (or use the Planar Shepherd class feature) to emulate a plane where all [Cold] spells are Silenced, Stilled and Quickened.

nintendoh
2015-06-15, 06:50 PM
Well that worked better then i could have hoped. I didn't consider divine metamagic because i dont know why. Thanks all.