PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Loremaster Secrets?

Dormammu
2015-06-10, 07:31 PM
The Description on Loremaster Secrets says,

"At 1st level and every two levels higher than 1st (3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th), the loremaster chooses one secret from Table: Loremaster Secrets. His level plus Intelligence modifier determines which secrets he can choose. He can't choose the same secret twice." [Emphasis mine]

The highest secret on the table is 10, what do they mean by 'level' the character level or Loremaster level?

If it's character level then why bother with the table? The soonest you could qualify for Loremaster is level 8, and you have to be able to cast 3rd level spells to enter anyway which means your Intelligence is at least 13 (probably higher). Does this just exist to give sorcerers the shaft?

Malcador
2015-06-10, 07:48 PM
In a class description, "level" means "level in the class this is about" - in this case, Loremaster level. In non-class contexts, such as feats, "level" means "character level".

grarrrg
2015-06-10, 09:02 PM
Gotta admit. It's probably been a good year since I seen this question, then *POW* this is the 3rd time this week I've seen a version of this question....interesting...

But anywho, what Malcador said.
If a class feature says "level" it means "levels in this class". If it refers to _character_ level, then it will say "character level".

(Un)Inspired
2015-06-11, 02:05 AM
In a class description, "level" means "level in the class this is about" - in this case, Loremaster level. In non-class contexts, such as feats, "level" means "character level".

Gotta admit. It's probably been a good year since I seen this question, then *POW* this is the 3rd time this week I've seen a version of this question....interesting...

But anywho, what Malcador said.
If a class feature says "level" it means "levels in this class". If it refers to _character_ level, then it will say "character level".

This seems like a reasonable interpretation but is it true? Is there anywhere in the rules that this distinction is actually made?

grarrrg
2015-06-11, 02:25 AM
This seems like a reasonable interpretation but is it true? Is there anywhere in the rules that this distinction is actually made?

Linky to page (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement#TOC-Multiclassing)

Note that there are a number of effects and prerequisites that rely on a character's level or Hit Dice. Such effects are always based on the total number of levels or Hit Dice a character possesses, not just those from one class. The exception to this is class abilities, most of which are based on the total number of class levels that a character possesses of that particular class.

(Un)Inspired
2015-06-11, 10:34 AM
The phrase "...most of which..." Is troubling. If it's only most and not all, then how do we determine when to use class level instead of character level?

Yanisa
2015-06-11, 10:38 AM
The phrase "...most of which..." Is troubling. If it's only most and not all, then how do we determine when to use class level instead of character level?

When they call out being exceptions, like for example the Oracle's Curse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle#TOC-Oracle-s-Curse-Ex-).