PDA

View Full Version : A SR Variant [PEACH]

Ponce
2007-04-24, 09:22 PM
The following variant on the 3.5e system works best in conjunction with another variant that would expand the coverage of Spell Resistance to a greater number of spells.

Charisma represents the force of personality of a character. Their strength of presence and personal identity are represented by this ability score. It is used often to determine the strength of most spell-like abilities. This variant proposes that all characters have a certain such personal force, just as they all have a certain level of combat proficiency (Armor Class).

All creatures have a Spell Resistance of 10 + Charisma Modifier.

In the case of classes and creatures that gain spell resistance from other sources, use whichever source of Spell Resistance is higher. Spell Resistance that comes in the form of Some Constant + Total HD/Total Class Levels, you can instead use the formula 10 + Charisma Modifier + Total HD/Total Class Levels (whichever is higher). Common examples of this are the Monk and the Drow.

Why charisma? As was said before, the 3.5e system sees fit to use Charisma as the basis for spell-like abilities. As such, a creature's resistance to similar magical effects should be based from this same statistic. Wisdom and Constitution are close contenders to represent a creature's inherent resilience, but for both balance and fluff purposes, charisma has been selected. Thus, charisma is also made less dump-y.

Feats

Given that Spell Resistance can be considered an inherent statistic (much like AC) a general feat tree following the theme of Dodge/PowerAttack/Expertise can be created.

Defiance
Requirements: Charisma 13
Benefit: Select an opponent you can observe at the beginning of your turn each round. You receive a +2 bonus to your spell resistance versus spells or spell-like abilities cast by this target after the use of this feat. The effect is continuous so long as you can maintain observation of the creature in question. If you change to another target and back again, or lose sight of the creature only to regain it later, you lose this bonus versus any spells or spell-like abilities in affect. Alternatively, you can focus this benefit on any spell or spell-like ability you can observe (such as magical fire, a phantasm cast upon you, or a symbol). This bonus stacks with other sources.

Greater Defiance
Requirements: Defiance, Charisma 18
Benefit: You gain an additional +2 bonus to your spell resistance when using defiance, for a total of +4. This bonus stacks with other sources.

Sharp Defiance
Requirements: Defiance
Benefit: Once per minute, you may change the target of your Defiance feat as an immediate action.

Epic Feats

Epic Defiance I
Requirements: Epic Character, Charisma 21, Greater Defiance
Benefit: You are immune to all spells of 3rd level or lower that allow for Spell Resistance. Any attempt to overcome your spell resistance for a level 3 spell automatically fails.

Epic Defiance II
Requirements: Epic Defiance I, Charisma 25
Benefit: Your spell immunity granted by Epic Defiance is expanded to include all 5th level spells and lower.

Epic Defiance III
Requirements: Epic Defiance II, Charisma 31
Benefit: Your spell immunity granted by Epic Defiance is expanded to include all spells. You are automatically immune to the effects of any spell that grants spell resistance.

Spells

Impenetrability
Abjuration
Level: Cleric 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Touch
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes

The targeted creature gains a bonus to spell resistance equal to 1/2 caster levels, to a maximum of 5 at level 10.

Impenetrability, Greater
Abjuration
Level: Cleric 5, Sor/Wiz 6
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Touch
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes

The targeted creature gains a bonus to spell resistance equal to 1/level, to a maximum of 15 at level 15.

Finally, it should be noted that spell resistance is not strictly a function of body. As such, a character can choose to lower his spell resistance. Doing so is a free action that requires no effort. Raising spell resistance after a character has been afflicted by a spell does not affect a spell already in place.

New feats and some spells put in place. I am looking for honest critique on this, as well as any supplementary ides to the concept anyone has to offer!

Darth Mario
2007-04-24, 09:35 PM
Wow, good variant rule! I'm going to have to use this in my upcoming campaign.

Maybe this should scale with level? 5+1/2 HD+Cha bonus or something like that? Or certain classes should get higher bonuses (similar to Attack Bonus and Saves)?

Ponce
2007-04-24, 11:10 PM
Wow, good variant rule! I'm going to have to use this in my upcoming campaign.

Maybe this should scale with level? 5+1/2 HD+Cha bonus or something like that? Or certain classes should get higher bonuses (similar to Attack Bonus and Saves)?

I had thought about a system with Poor/Fair/Good SR progression associated with class levels and racial HD. I do like that kind of system much more, but the task is much more daunting. It would require looking at every racial type, class, and prestige class and determining what the correct balance would be. If you are willing to look at each one individually as you use them, it is certainly a much better way of going about it. What I've done here is more of a one-size-fits-all patch method.

Matthew
2007-05-02, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I quite like this idea as well. Reminds me of the new Star Wars rules for Saving Throws.

Marcotic
2007-05-03, 01:30 AM
wow, i am eager to see how this works out in play. It's neat but I'd be afraid of f-ing spellcasters, (probly the point.) certainly makes cha one of the best stats