PDA

View Full Version : Playable Animals

Ruethgar
2015-06-10, 09:49 PM
This is a common request so I thought I'ld compile a few ways to pull it off.
Dragon Magazine #293- Gives ECL for awakened animals all of the following are ECL 0... with 2 bonus HD.

Cat
Lizard
Monkey
Rat
Toad

Oriental Adventures- Hengeyokai just staying in animal form. Like the Tibbit, they are originally animals(spirits in this case) that gained humanoid form.

Badger
Carp
Cat
Crab
Crane
Dog
Fox
Hare
Monkey
Raccoon Dog
Rat
Sparrow
Weasel

Savage Species- The Anthropomorphic template.

Bat
Lizard
Monkey
Rat
Raven
Toad
Weasel

Dragon Magazine #280- Magic Jar hopping into your familiar, doable just barely at level 1(else it wouldn't be here), but may kill you. Full-ish list here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187251-3-5-Complete-list-of-possible-Familiar).

Cat
Bat
Flying Fox
Owl
Hawk
Raven
Thrush
Parrot
Penguin
Humingbird
Vulture
Eagle
Lizard
Needletooth
Z'Tal
Turtle
Small Contrictor
Compsognathus
Rhamphorynchus
Weasel
Hedgehog
Mouse
Lemming
Rabbit
Squirrel
Badger
Ground Hog
Raccoon
Skunk
Eel
Octopus
Fox
Dog
Fly
Spider
Caterpillar
Butterfly/Moth
Monkey
Platypus
Otter

Dragon Magazine Compendium- Tibbit

Monster Manual I- Lycanthrope... find what you want, I'm not listing them all. Anything from Tiny to Huge is easy to get this way, but only the Savage Progressions (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp) allow a level one to play a lycan.

Honorable Mention: Fish. You should be able to trade this in place of a toad with the modifications in Aquatic Escape, but it doesn't actually have a stat block entry of it's own. Odd that something so common IRL didn't even exist in D&D until that spell.

Venger
2015-06-10, 09:58 PM
This is a common request so I thought I'ld compile a few ways to pull it off.
Honorable Mention: Fish. You should be able to trade this in place of a toad with the modifications in Aquatic Escape, but it doesn't actually have a stat block entry of it's own. Odd that something so common IRL didn't even exist in D&D until that spell.

OA had stats for the carp before complete scoundrel printed aquatic escape.

Ruethgar
2015-06-11, 07:04 AM
Carp in OA it still lacked the mental abilities as it was only part of the hengeyokai and still didn't have its own stat block(unless you are counting the Carp Dragon). Stormwrack helped alleviate some of this issue, but there is still a massive range of fish unaccounted for.