PDA

View Full Version : Visionary Seeker & Runesmith Questions

daremetoidareyo
2015-06-10, 11:13 PM
I was mucking around a bit with visionary seeker (planar handbook) builds and now I have me some questions.

paladin 5 with sword of the arcane order (CoV) feat/ visionary seeker 5/ Runesmith 1/ visionary seeker 5.

So first off, can I use spell mimic visionary seeker class feature to scribe a scroll rather than to cast it?

It doesn't bar using the spell for crafting.
"The visionary seeker cannot apply metamagic effects to the spell, even if the original spell included such effects. Treat his caster level for the spell as equal to his highest caster level in any class."

Can I then use that scroll to transfer knowledge of a spell that I simply witness into my sword of the arcane order spellbook?

Could I then prepare these arcane spells as runes?

Can I prepare spell mimic'ed effects as runes directly without the scroll crafting spellbook step?

Can I scribe a scroll of a mimicked spell effect that is a higher level than I can cast with my arcane paladin casting?

Further, the spell mimic ability reads:
"Once per day, a visionary seeker of 2nd level or higher can mimic any spell (arcane or divine) of a level no greater than his class level"

Which means when he reaches visionary seeker 10, if he witnesses an epic level spell cast in the last 24 hours and wants to mimic it, can he, seeing as how his class level is 10?

If the build was instead spellthief 10/visionary seeker 10, could I steal a spell, cast it, and then mimic the spell that I stole later?

Saintheart
2015-06-10, 11:37 PM
Unlikely you'd be able to use Spell Mimic to craft stuff or Scribe Scroll by RAW, because Spell Mimic is not casting spells as such, nor is it knowledge of the spell as such - it's explicitly a (Sp), i.e. a spell-like ability, not true spellcasting. Runesmith crafting of runes is explicitly preparing spells in rune form.

Metamagic might be forbidden and crafting not, but you still have to meet the requirements of casting the spell you want to scribe or craft into a rune -- which invariably are that you've either prepared the spell or know the spell to be chucked into the magic item. Spell Mimic is not expressly either, if anything its title indicates it mimics rather than duplicates the spell in question.

Mage of the Arcane Order and/or Skypledged Spellpools might get you around this stricture if combined with Arcane Preparation and Alternative Source Spell in the case of Skypledged, but even that road is heavily subject to DM interpretation.