PDA

View Full Version : Prestige classes for Ranger

Buufreak
2015-06-11, 12:20 AM
I looked into a Ranger Handbook, but kinda came up short. Anyone have decent suggestions for the sneaking, bow using type of Ranger?

Troacctid
2015-06-11, 12:47 AM
There aren't very many prestige classes that will help a Ranger with archery...or help anyone with archery, really, since archery just isn't very well-supported in 3.5. You'd have to look for something that's just generally good and doesn't hurt your archery, like Stalker of Kharash or Swanmay or Chameleon. You could also go with a traditional multiclass build and take some levels in Scout with the Swift Hunter feat, which would give you more skill points and add precision damage to your shots.

badgerman
2015-06-11, 01:30 AM
In general I agree with Troacctid.

But there are two Prestige Classes I like. Maybe you want to have a look at them.

Peerless Archer (from Forgotten Realms: SilverMarches) gets you sneak attack, power shot and a ranged AoO. Problem: Its 3.0 :smallfrown:

Justice of Weald and Woe (from Forgotten Realms: Champions of Ruin) finally this should be 3.5 since it gets survival as a skill and not wilderness lore :smallsmile:. I like it cause you will get some versatility like poison use, and sneak attack plus you get bonus feats for archery and a small spell-list. 2 good saves fort and ref, a d8 hd but only 3/4 bab aaand a death attack. Oh Woodland Stride, Trackless Step and Hide in plain sight on top should be very sneaky. Forgotten something: The class levels count as fighter levels so you can get Weapon Specialization or even Greater Weapon Specialization if you take a two level fighter dip.
This one could be what you are looking for.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-06-11, 06:46 AM
You could definitely go the swift hunter route; this is probably the most best ranger-based Archery style. Dictum Mortuum put together the handbook, found here (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/09/swift-hunters-handbook.html). It's effective, useful out of combat and reasonably simple.

First, though, what do you want your Ranger to be able to do? How important is casting spells? What are you hoping to get out of being stealthy? You want to use a bow; does that mean a longbow, or do you have something more esoteric in mind? What kind of game are you in, and what are the other folk in your party like?

Edit: What does your DM think about 3.0 or Pathfinder material? Archery is not hugely well-supported confined to 3.5.

nedz
2015-06-11, 07:01 AM
Mystic Ranger. It's from Dragon Magazine, which may be an issue for you, and it's not so good at melle — but fine for archery.

Ranger spells are very good for Stealth, Perception and Archery; but you never get enough of them.

It combines well with Scout too, because Swift Hunter.

Seeker of the Misty Isle is also an option — again for spells and stealth.

Pluto!
2015-06-11, 07:56 AM
Nentyar Hunter from Unapproachable East invests 5 levels in exchange for 5 levels of spells from a completely reasonable list and 5 BA.

Assassin's sneak attack dice, spells and HiPS make it a reasonable one-stop-shop for archery.

Other than that, Swift Hunter is a reasonable way to get damage output, and Psionics add some reasonable archery bonuses, whether by going Soulbow for +Wis to Damage, by going through Psion to a Knowledge Devotion-using Slayer build, or by dipping into Warmind or Psychic Warrior/Slayer for the PW's action economy and archery powers (mainly found in Races of the Wild and Complete Psionic).

DEMON
2015-06-12, 07:14 PM
Justice of Weald and Woe is a decent PrC for your concept.

Not really a PrC, but Scout 3-4 for Swift Hunter builds, or Wizard 1 for SoTAO builds are good multiclass choices.

The former is usually bow-focused, the latter one can even focus on other styles easily.

StreamOfTheSky
2015-06-12, 10:03 PM
Archer PrC's are lacking. Severely. 3.0 had Deepwood Sniper and Peerless Archer, and its Order of the Bow Initiate was less horrible (still largely obsoleted by the Arrow Mind spell, though). Cragtop Archer (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040815b) is nice for up to 4 levels if you actually get to have long starting distances for encounters often. But you're mostly best off as a Ranger/Scout Swift Hunter build, relying on skirmish and ranger spells.

I guess with a Sizing Bow of the Wintermoon (so it can always be adjusted to your size and str mod), you could make a nontraditional archer build out of Wild Shape Ranger / Master of Many Forms and sticking to humanoid-shaped forms that can use bows (or getting Girallon Arms spell to use w/ other forms) and getting high damage per arrow that way. Possibly w/ Zen Archer feat so you're not crimped by forms with so-so Dex...tends to be tough to find high dex human-shaped forms.

Optimator
2015-06-13, 11:20 AM
Justice of Weald and Woe is a stellar PrC but it's a bit redundant with a Ranger base. It's more of a PrC for turning an archer into a Ranger/Assassin hybrid.

I've always been partial to Deepwood Sniper, myself. A two-level dip into Fighter or Psychic Warrior for the feats--or even Feat Rogue--is always good since archery is so feat-based.

Peerless Archer is decent. The power Shot ability is pretty great but it really should be a feat on its own.

Edit: Scout with Swift Hunter is indeed the best PrC.

Aleolus
2015-06-13, 12:57 PM
If you are a half-elf and take Humanoid (human) or Humanoid (elf) as a favored enemy there is a PrC in Races of Destiny that might work, I don't remember what its called

nedz
2015-06-13, 03:16 PM
If you are a half-elf and take Humanoid (human) or Humanoid (elf) as a favored enemy there is a PrC in Races of Destiny that might work, I don't remember what its called

Requirements
BAB: +3
Alignment: Any nongood
Race: Half-Elf
Skills: Bluff 8 ranks , Hide 4 ranks Move Silently 4 ranks

I think you might mean this one ?
It grants Favored enemy (elves and humans), sneak dice, half casting and smites.

I'm not sure it helps Archers.

Aleolus
2015-06-13, 07:09 PM
That's the one, yeah

DEMON
2015-06-13, 07:09 PM
One more base class that might be of use - Fighter 1 with Stealthy and Hit-and-Run-Tactics ACFs. +1d6 Sneak attack and Dex to damage helps with the overall damage output.

Hit-and-Run-Tactics (Dex to damage) can also be taken with a standard Fighter 2 to get 2 bonus feats.