PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Earth Genasi Wizard

MadBear
2015-06-11, 01:15 AM
Instead of creating a new post. here's is my original post that people have been replying to. I've switched around so much since the original OP that I'll post a fresh start below the quote.

So the character I'm looking to play next is likely going to be an earth Genasi. I also really wanted to play a wizard. There doesn't seem to be a ton of synergy, but I'll likely get a free feat at first level. I'm curious what the playground thinks:

level 1 Fighter: I'll do this to grab heavy armor and weapon proficiencies & warcaster
level 2+ Abjuration Wizard: From here I'll go full wizard.

This will allow me to have a wizard with heavy armor, a shield, the abjuration ward, and a sword with the defense fighting style (potential 21 AC base).

From this point forward, I'll go full wizard who will have less and less to do with frontline combat, but on the other hand, no one will typically expect that I'm the resident wizard.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

With that said, I'm now thinking that I'll be going Knowledge Cleric 1/ Abjuration Wizard X. My stats (after racials) will look like:

Str-9
Dex-14
Con-14
Int-15
Wis-14
Char-8

By going Cleric, I'll keep full spell progression (although I'll always be a level behind), I'll get medium armor (and go Dex instead of strength). I imagine my character playing similar to Beast from the X-men in that he's highly intelligent so the extra skills is helpful. This will allow my character to still have a good frontline presence (18 AC with a Ward and the shield spell). Instead of wielding a weapon, I'll just rely on using my spells (shocking grasp, poison spray). With spells like "Earth Tremor" I can damage, knock prone, and create difficult terrain that I can freely move through.

The only question I have now is: What do I grab for my Lvl1 feat? If I go warcaster, I'll be set for Concentration saving throws, but if I go with Linguist/Keen Mind/Observant I'll get a +1 intelligence. Which of these would serve me better? at level 5 (I'll pick up whatever one I didn't at 1).

Dontdestroyme
2015-06-11, 01:21 AM
I mean... Pass without trace once a day should be rated more highly in the online community. That spell is insane and game changing pretty much every time you cast it.... So earth genasi for me are always a okay. So while you will take a while to be on curve as it were with your int, you're also getting a spell which as a wizard you would otherwise not have, and one which is probably more powerful than other spells.

I personally would never bother with going fighter in the first place but if that's what you're into then go for it. But as a wizard you are crippled by concentration in 5e, so a curve definitely exists for wizards, and since your spell DCs will be down from not being on curve for int, delaying your third and then sixth level spells is dangerous. Likely it won't matter much but the benefits from fighter past the first levels are pretty minimal. But if that's you then just do it.

I think genasi are cool and of them earth genasi imo get the coolest description of the genasi in 5e so think up a damn good description of yourself.

MadBear
2015-06-11, 09:05 AM
I should probably have specified, but what I have in mind for the character is that being a big Earth Genasi, he's a wizard who is ok with jumping into battle and even being near (if not in) melee.

Fighter with warcaster seemed like a good way to give him some prerequisite equipment and saves to do that. It also allows me to capitalize on his strength bonus and being able to wade through difficult terrain easily.

The downsides are pretty big though. With a 14 intelligence, delayed spell casting, and delayed ability score increase, he's never going to be the best wizard around.

Actually, now that I think about it. With heavy armor and a shield, would I be better going abjuration for more defense, or picking the evocation school up to up my offense?

Naanomi
2015-06-11, 09:18 AM
How are you gettin Warcaster?
Consider Cleric for proficiencies if only dipping one level, keep spellslot progression

hymer
2015-06-11, 12:16 PM
How are you gettin Warcaster?
Ten characters.

I'll likely get a free feat at first level.

Zevox
2015-06-11, 03:27 PM
Consider Cleric for proficiencies if only dipping one level, keep spellslot progression
Yeah, if you can manage the 13 wisdom requirement to multiclass as one, then War Domain Cleric is probably better than Fighter for your purposes. You get all the same weapon and armor proficiencies, but trade the Fighting Style and Second Wind for spell slots, a couple of first-level Cleric spells, and a once per day attack as a bonus action. And cantrips, and who doesn't like having more cantrips?

It does also trade the Fighter's strength/constitution saves for wisdom/charisma, though, which is a big difference, if you have a particular reason for wanting the Fighter saves.

eastmabl
2015-06-12, 12:08 AM
I should probably have specified, but what I have in mind for the character is that being a big Earth Genasi, he's a wizard who is ok with jumping into battle and even being near (if not in) melee.

Fighter with warcaster seemed like a good way to give him some prerequisite equipment and saves to do that. It also allows me to capitalize on his strength bonus and being able to wade through difficult terrain easily.

The downsides are pretty big though. With a 14 intelligence, delayed spell casting, and delayed ability score increase, he's never going to be the best wizard around.

Actually, now that I think about it. With heavy armor and a shield, would I be better going abjuration for more defense, or picking the evocation school up to up my offense?

I don't have quite the system mastery for 5e casting that I wish I had, but I'd recommend spells which don't have a DC at all. This would give you the added bonus of being able to focus on your physical stats, since Int would only control the number of spells that you prepare each day.

My intuition would suggest that transmutation would be the appropriate school consider - it gives you spells that let you soup yourself up to 11. A transmuter stone is also a neat tchotchke that you could use to soup yourself up.

MadBear
2015-06-13, 12:43 PM
Yeah, if you can manage the 13 wisdom requirement to multiclass as one, then War Domain Cleric is probably better than Fighter for your purposes. You get all the same weapon and armor proficiencies, but trade the Fighting Style and Second Wind for spell slots, a couple of first-level Cleric spells, and a once per day attack as a bonus action. And cantrips, and who doesn't like having more cantrips?

It does also trade the Fighter's strength/constitution saves for wisdom/charisma, though, which is a big difference, if you have a particular reason for wanting the Fighter saves.

I like that idea. If I go that route, it probably makes more sense to grab the light/tempest domain (or even knowledge for the skills). Tempest allows me to deal damage when I get hit, and Light will give me some minor added survivability. I'd swap out my high strength for a 14 dex, and I'd be good to go.

TheOOB
2015-06-13, 12:51 PM
I like that idea. If I go that route, it probably makes more sense to grab the light/tempest domain (or even knowledge for the skills). Tempest allows me to deal damage when I get hit, and Light will give me some minor added survivability. I'd swap out my high strength for a 14 dex, and I'd be good to go.

Light domain doesn't give you heavy armor proficiency....that is if you can manage the 15 strength required to get the most out of it.

WampDiesel
2015-06-13, 01:24 PM
I agree that cleric is the other option to accomplish what you are looking for.

There are two merits to what you are already doing.

Starting with Proficiency in CON saves makes it a lot easier to maintain concentration spells. Since you don't have a great starting INT, buffs like enlarge, blur, haste and mirror image will make you an even bigger monster in melee if you want to fight that way. You definitely don't want to lose concentration on haste in the middle of the fight and become stuck in time for a turn.

Also eventually you can pick up a second level in fighter for action surge.

The merits of going cleric are maintaining max full spell slot progression and being able to overcharge cure wounds at higher levels for patching people up after teamfights. Also to echo Zevox, MORE CANTRIPS!

Only you can make that choice. We can't make it for you.

Celcey
2015-06-14, 01:09 PM
If you're thinking about being a fighter with magic, I think you should look into Eldrich Knight more than Fighter/Wizard. It would give you the abjuration and evocation, the two schools you're interested in, plus the all the benefits of being a fighter. If you're only taking 1 or 2 levels of fighter, you're not going to have the HP you need to keep up in battle, and moreover, you won't get a second attack, so meelee damage-wise, you'll start falling pretty far behind pretty quick after 5th level. And quite frankly, you're better off with cantrips.

MadBear
2015-06-14, 02:44 PM
If you're thinking about being a fighter with magic, I think you should look into Eldrich Knight more than Fighter/Wizard. It would give you the abjuration and evocation, the two schools you're interested in, plus the all the benefits of being a fighter. If you're only taking 1 or 2 levels of fighter, you're not going to have the HP you need to keep up in battle, and moreover, you won't get a second attack, so meelee damage-wise, you'll start falling pretty far behind pretty quick after 5th level. And quite frankly, you're better off with cantrips.

Thx Celcey, I've updated my OP to reflect where I'm at now in my character concept.

Dimolyth
2015-06-14, 03:18 PM
The choice is up to you, it depends more from your style and roleplaying thoughts.
Linguist/Observant/Keen Mind - could make a good flavour, if you have some vision for your Genasi. Though, you would be more fragile if mixing mellee with concentration spells.
Resilent for Constitution can "limit" your spells to utility and buffs.
And your AC will be 15-16 without shield (because there will be no warcaster), though you could use spell shield from your second level.

MadBear
2015-06-14, 03:25 PM
The choice is up to you, it depends more from your style and roleplaying thoughts.
Linguist/Observant/Keen Mind - could make a good flavour, if you have some vision for your Genasi. Though, you would be more fragile if mixing mellee with concentration spells.
Resilent for Constitution can "limit" your spells to utility and buffs.
And your AC will be 15-16 without shield (because there will be no warcaster), though you could use spell shield from your second level.

Forgot about that. Warcaster for level 1 it is. I'll pick up the flavor one at lvl 5, and then just go with Intelligence bumps after that.