PDA

View Full Version : [Fate] How does the magic exactly work?

Takewo
2015-06-11, 07:00 AM
Hi there. I've been skimming the Fate Core rules and I'm a bit puzzled by this magic thing. I understand that it is a game where you can pretty much create whichever capability suits your character and setting.

Let's say that I am creating a wondrous wizard of wizardly wizardry. And, of course, he's going to use magic. My question is, how does that work? Is it enough to say "I create a magical force to move that rock out of the way" and just roll with a forceful approach? Do I need stunts saying "I can throw fireballs at people"?

Is there any ruling that deals with supernatural stuff in general?

Eisenheim
2015-06-11, 09:25 AM
There isn't a 'default' magic system for fate. The system toolkit has several examples of how you can put together a magic system and more advice about building your own, I'm also sure I and the other fate aficionados on this board would be happy to help.

The first question when doing magic for fate is "how does magic work in the setting of your game?" Once you answer that, you can start working on mechanics to model that fiction. Since we're doing fate, fiction comes first, in design as much as in play.

Takewo
2015-06-11, 10:24 AM
I understand. Thank you.

That's, in fact, cool. I think I am starting to like Fate.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-06-11, 10:27 AM
Hi there. I've been skimming the Fate Core rules and I'm a bit puzzled by this magic thing. I understand that it is a game where you can pretty much create whichever capability suits your character and setting.

Let's say that I am creating a wondrous wizard of wizardly wizardry. And, of course, he's going to use magic. My question is, how does that work? Is it enough to say "I create a magical force to move that rock out of the way" and just roll with a forceful approach? Do I need stunts saying "I can throw fireballs at people"?

Is there any ruling that deals with supernatural stuff in general?
Specifically answering this question...probably not. Cover it with an aspect. If fire magic is available to all mages, then some aspect about your magery is probably relevant. If it's restricted to some schools of magic, then make your aspect narrower to reflect that. "Fire Wizard of the Obsidian Keep" means that you have access to fire magic.

That said, particularly if you're in a setting where magic has particular structure, some varieties of magical effects might require more specific training to use. In which case you'd want a "Magical Training" stunt that you can list your spells under, as in "you know how to cast these types of magic".

I'd personally go with the former approach almost always. Either have a skill for your flavor of magic (in a more detailed system, there might be multiple magical skills) or use an appropriate approach. You can also use a Stunt to boost a particular flavor of magic, like getting a bonus when you Create Advantage with earth-based magic. From there, it's largely about creativity and what makes sense.

Eisenheim
2015-06-11, 10:37 AM
I personally prefer to avoid adding skills if it's not completely necessary. If you want to throw fireballs, in most games that's just your aspects justifying an unusual use of the shoot skill, possibly backed up with a stunt that allows area attacks. I'm of the opinion that most magic can be handled with stunts and aspect permissions.

Anonymouswizard
2015-06-11, 10:52 AM
I personally prefer to avoid adding skills if it's not completely necessary. If you want to throw fireballs, in most games that's just your aspects justifying an unusual use of the shoot skill, possibly backed up with a stunt that allows area attacks. I'm of the opinion that most magic can be handled with stunts and aspect permissions.

Basic magic system 1:
Take 1 extra:
-Add requirement: must have appropriate aspect.
-Add ability: can fluff skill uses as being magic.
-Add ability: can take stunts to represent spells.
-Other stuff: none.

Now your shoot skill can throw fireballs and your rapport skill can cast charm spells. And let's be honest, if you want to play a wizard this isn't making you give anything up.

Eisenheim
2015-06-11, 11:21 AM
Note that the requirement to pay for an 'extra' with refresh is dependent on the balance of the game. In general, think of the extra as the cost for set of narrative permissions that are more powerful than the default for the game. In a game of cinematic action, a wizard may not need to pay refresh because the other characters can do similarly reality-defying things.

kyoryu
2015-06-11, 03:42 PM
Basic magic system 1:
Take 1 extra:
-Add requirement: must have appropriate aspect.
-Add ability: can fluff skill uses as being magic.
-Add ability: can take stunts to represent spells.
-Other stuff: none.

Now your shoot skill can throw fireballs and your rapport skill can cast charm spells. And let's be honest, if you want to play a wizard this isn't making you give anything up.

This is basically one of the most common "D&D-like" magic templates in Fate Core.

Storm Summoners from the Toolkit being the other.