PDA

View Full Version : Mitigating Weakness and Magical Secrets

mister__joshua
2015-06-11, 07:28 AM
Hi Playground.

I weren't really sure what to title this thread as there are a few different points I wanted to discuss. I'll start with the basics though.

I'm currently playing a Bard 3/Warlock 2. We've been playing with our DM for many years, and know how he likes to run his games. Given there's a good likelihood of not getting to rest, and the general combat heavy nature of the campaign I decided to pick up Warlock 2 for the repeated blasting ability. This has worked out well so far. However our DM likes to deal with ranged threats, and magical threats, in a very Hands-on kind of way ie. engaging them in melee combat. At low levels this was fine as I was able to hex and stab my way out of problems, but the problems are becoming more of a threat and I'm not getting better at melee.

I'll be hitting Bard 4 next and getting a feat/ASI. I'm torn between +2Cha/Resilient:Con/Moderately Armoured. Con would give me 5 hit points, and help all my concentration saves but I think it's probably better as a later choice. +2 Cha is tempting. It improves my to-hit, my damage, my spell save DCs, my Inspiration uses... it's generally really awesome. However, I'm thinking of going for the armour. Medium Armour and a Shield would raise my AC from 16 to 20, which is quite a boost and would prevent a lot of my incoming damage. It might be poorer in the long run, but I think it's best for right now.

At level 8 I'll get my first Magical Secrets and I'm considering Shocking Grasp. I can't help feel that a cantrip is a waste, but I think it's a great spell and could be really valuable if I keep getting engaged. Not bad damage, free move away, often has advantage on the attack. It's also usable over and over for the next time we're in an endless war. For the other choice I'm considering Shield. Again it's a defensive spell but should help my Cutting Words last longer, and at higher levels I'll have a number of level 1 slots not doing a lot.

I think my main question is should I be spending this much effort and resource to mitigate weakness instead of boosting the things I'm good at? Would +2 Cha and 2 3rd level spells be infinitely better than +4AC and 2 defensive low level abilities?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-11, 07:44 AM
Just a quick observation: have you considered the magic initiate feat for Shocking Grasp? There are lots of 1st-level wizard spells that would be nice to have 1/day. Then you can get more value out of your Magical Secrets.

Giant2005
2015-06-11, 07:44 AM
If you want Shocking Grasp, you are probably better off taking a third Warlock level and getting Pact of the Tome rather than wasting your Magical Secrets on it. Although I don't think that feat is particularly necessary.
You don't need Shocking Grasp as blasting your enemy out of melee range via Eldritch Blast/Repelling Blast will have the same effect of letting you move without suffering an Opportunity Attack. You just need to be able to fire your Eldritch Blast accurately in melee range and you can do that by taking the Crossbow Expert feat.

mister__joshua
2015-06-11, 08:05 AM
Both of those solutions have been considered, but both require a feat (Magic Initiate or Crossbow Expert) and I have more secrets than feats. I kinda want my feats to be Moderately Armoured, Resilient:Con and 2x +2Cha in some order.

The extra Warlock level would be nice as I love the Book pact, but that would be giving up 2 Secrets at level 18 Bard so isn't very beneficial.

SharkForce
2015-06-11, 08:34 AM
Both of those solutions have been considered, but both require a feat (Magic Initiate or Crossbow Expert) and I have more secrets than feats. I kinda want my feats to be Moderately Armoured, Resilient:Con and 2x +2Cha in some order.

The extra Warlock level would be nice as I love the Book pact, but that would be giving up 2 Secrets at level 18 Bard so isn't very beneficial.

at character level 20, are you even still going to be playing this character?

mister__joshua
2015-06-11, 10:04 AM
Hopefully :)

The DM thinks so. I'd prefer not to plan to not make level 20, if that makes sense.

Jamesps
2015-06-11, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't work too hard for shocking grasp. Cutting words+moderately armored is going to be your better bet, as few things are going to be able to hit you with disadvantage and decent AC (19?). That said, it only works when exactly 1 creature has engaged you.

Thunderwave is a nice low level spell that can get you out of melee with a group of people. What's more, you can use your warlock slots to cast it from your bard list so you'll get it back with short rests at least. I don't know what invocations you took, but there's always the darkness/devil's sight combo that works defensively and offensively if you don't mind being a pain in the butt for the rest of your party.