PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Zelda d20 brainstorm.

Yael
2015-06-11, 07:56 AM
I am a deep TLoZ fan, almost like a fanboy... almost a zeldlieber (wha...?), anyway, I am also a deep fan of d20 D&D 3.5, so I wanted to mix both. First of all, I found online the Book of Mudora (https://zeldad20.wordpress.com/) project, which basically is trying to create its own d20 zelda concept, but the project was cancelled it seems, and I couldn't find any way to contact the administrator of the site in order to help expanding it (s/he didn't answer my emails), so I thought myself to bring a big homebrew project that may take years to be completed, but it should be done (I think). If Pokemon Tabletop Adventures was done, why not d20 Zelda? :smallbiggrin:

So here I am. Requesting your help, playgrounders.

I find the 3.5 system flawed at some points (as directed by the Disfunctional handbook threads), but it's still enjoyable and that's what a game is made for :D

On my mind, four things should be covered first:

Classes (which classes of the PHB would fit).
Monsters (which includes races per era/"timeline").
Spellcasting (how spellcasting would affect a zelda-themed adventure).
Lore (how much lore is Link-unrelated, so it can be applied to the very foundation of any campaign).

Also, as a very part of this project, I think the Nintendo "Timeline" should be used as a reference for how things happen and how classes interact, pretty much like the Star Wars d20/saga series of books, the campaign setting changes, allowing and disallowing races as the story progresses (Kokiri becoming Koroks, and so on).
Not a timeline as such, but explanation of alternate universes, Game Theory approves IMO.
What do you think? Would this work? Would this be done with the help of everyone? This is pretty much a call for brainstorming to a newbie at homebrewing. Anything helps.
I am also not posting nothing of homebrew at the moment because it's like 5am and haven't sleep, but once I do, I'll start posting stuff here.

dragonjek
2015-06-11, 01:51 PM
The very first thing you'll need to do is to give everyone the ability to carry around, like, fifty weapons, without being affected by their weight or them even being visible.

Secondly, you'll need to stat out Cuccos.

Cucco Swarm

Tiny Animal
HD: All of the hit dice
Speed: 40 Ft (8 Squares), Fly 100 Ft. (Good)
Init: +7
AC: 30 (+28 Dex, +2 Size), Touch 30, Flat-footed 12
BAB/Grapple: Yes
Attack: Swarm (10d6)
Full-Attack: Swarm (10d6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./ 0 ft.
Special Attacks: Rage (as barbarian of its hit dice), Satanic Death Birds (they ignore damage reduction or resistances to swarm effects)
Special Qualities: Low-Light vision, Swarm Traits, Trip, Implacable Fowl (they are immortal)
Saves: Fort +ohgod, Ref +saveme, Will +theywon'tstop
Abilities: Str 50, Dex 66, Con > infinity, Int 2, Wis 35, Cha 200
Skills: Hatred +57
Feats: Improved Trip, Improved Initiative, Track, Dodge, Mobility
Environment: Warm Villages
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1 bajillion
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Lmarcum
2015-06-11, 04:12 PM
I ran a zelda/pathfinder homebrew for 3 levels, I'm gonna go ahead and post the races for you

Plant-
You have the low-light vision racial trait.
You are immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms).
You are immune to paralysis, poison, and stunning.
You can shoot a deku nut, a deku nut has a range of 15ft, does a d4+2 and you can use it once every 5 rounds, someone who has been hit by a deku nut will be stunned for 1 round
Can speak ancient and common.
Land Speed-20ft
Burrow speed- 15ft
Size-small-
Small races gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks. Small races have a space of 5 feet by 5 feet and a reach of 5 feet.
+2 to stealth
+2 to bluff
+2 to intimidate.
-2 to diplomacy to hyrulians
Size- medium.
Speed-30ft
-1skill point every level
If you don't want the -2 to diplomacy you lose it and -1 to stealth and -1 to bluff
Monstrous humanoid-
You have darkvision for 60ft.
You have a roll speed of 50ft, to begin Rolling it takes 1 move action and to stop it takes 1 move action.
Can speak Goron and common.
Has a +5 fire or ice resist
Has a -5 fire or ice vulnerability
Natural armor-+2 CMB
Speed 20 ft
Size-large-
Large creatures gain a +2 size bonus to Strength and a –2 size penalty to Dexterity. Large races take a –1 size penalty to their AC, a –1 size penalty on attack rolls, a +1 bonus on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a –4 size penalty on Stealth checks. A Large creature takes up a space that is 10 feet by 10 feet and has a reach of 5 feet.
Bonus 2 skill points every level
Bonus feat
Size-medium
Speed-30ft
Speak w/ animals 3day
Speed-20ft
A Kokiri is constantly watched over by a fairy. To determine the benefits of a Fairy as a Kokiri gains levels, treat the Kokiri as a Druid of equal level. Fairies have AC 18+ 1/2 Kokiri character level, and HP 10+ Kokiri's Character Level+ 1/2 Kokiri's wisdom modifier. A Kokiri that gains a familiar or animal companion does not lose its fairy, but any benefits do not stack. It also has the ability to use an attack dubbed 'Hey, Listen' on enemies, dealing 1 damage.
Size- small
Small races gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks. Small races have a space of 5 feet by 5 feet and a reach of 5 feet.
Aberration and aquatic-
You have darkvision for 60ft.
Can speak Zoran and common.
Size- medium.
Land Speed-30ft
As aquatic creatures, you also have a swim speed of 30 feet, can move in water without making Swim checks, and always treat Swim as a class skill.

RoyVG
2015-06-11, 04:27 PM
I'm a huge Zelda fan myself so I may be able to give some pointers, but I'm to busy to actualy 'produce' content for a project, especially at the scale you are aiming at.

Having said that, I will give my opinions on some of the things you mentioned.

Classes
I think you can find many examples of the various classes in- and outside of the PHB. Using the PHB only you are limiting yourself quite a bit IMO, but understandable to keep it simple. If i were to stat Link he would likely be a Factotum with some Fighter or Warblade, Zelda would be something like a Divine Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantDivineBard) or a regular Cleric and Ganondorf could be a Warlock or a Battle Sorceror (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer) or Druid, depending on which one you are using.

Monsters
Many monsters can be converted from 3.5 races. Kobolds or goblins can fill the same roles as Bokoblins, Orcs can fill the same role as Moblins. There are a couple of option to consider for a variety of Zelda monsters. Redeads are zombies with some sort of Frightfull Presence and a high grapple check, Ice and Fire Keese are advanced bats with [Cold] and [Fire] subtype. The possibilities for some 'quick 'n dirty fixes' is there, start thinking about new ones after some basic monsters.

Magic and Spellcasting
I feel that spell casting in the Zelda series is not very present in high amounts. Most of the magic used is related to items or artifacts (Master Sword, Triforce, but also 'lesser' things like the Ocarina of Time and the Masks), and most of the magic used by characters is relatively low-power, with the exceptions being maybe Zelda, Ganondorf and a couple of other characters. Koume and Kotake took years to brainwash Nabooru, and Link comes in and dispells it with ease. In D&D, brainwashing is a 5 level spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dominatePerson.htm). Granted it's not a very good example, but still, I think that spellcasting should be limited to bard-like casting for characters with more versatile casting, or specialized casters like Beguiler or Dread Necromancer. Caster like Druid, Cleric, Sorceror and wizard are a bit too much.

Lore
This is a lage task if you want to limit specific classes, items and other features to specific time-frame, because you need to define each time-frame. Are you adding games together (Ocarina of Time+Majora's Mask. A Link to the Past+Link Between Worlds, Zelda1+2)?

I don't have any time to further elaborate, but these are my first thought about it

Good luck with the effort. :smallsmile:

qazzquimby
2015-06-11, 04:34 PM
10 characters (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?254175-Heroes-of-Hyrule-Zeldaverse-in-D-amp-D-3-5-(PEACH))

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-06-11, 04:45 PM
This one's still in progress, but it uses the much nicer 5E ruleset. (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ad2f6305tflohqm/AADMdttLIXyi9IndDq3Dwgg5a?dl=0)