PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Ranger Archetype: Slayer --> Looking for feature idea

DanyBallon
2015-06-11, 08:06 AM
I've got a concept of a ranger beast slayer, which is really good at tracking and killing his favored enemies. I'm thinking about giving them at 3rd level advantage against their favored enemies. Also I'd like to give them a sneak attack-like ability that would boost damage. I'm wondering if it should apply only to favored enemies, or work as sneak attack and can be made only against creature you have advantage on attack roll (so always on for favored enemies, limited to once per turn). I'd like to prevent that it is too OP that it become the default ranger archetype. But I still want it too be useful when not fighting their favored enemies.

Here some random ideas:
- 1d4 sneak attack
- Get 1d8 damage dice at 3rd, 7th, 11th and 15th
- Only get one favored enemy
- damage "grows" in time
- Get really good with trap (setting/disabling and creating)

Any comments and/or ideas are welcomed !

Leuku
2015-06-11, 06:37 PM
Allow me to quote from WOTC's Unearthed Arcana: Modifying Classes (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes)

Rangers have a spellcasting progression that is half as vigorous as the normal progression. The Spellcasting feature can be tinkered with a bit, but it still needs to be a significant portion of what the class can do.
Much of the ranger’s extra potency in combat comes from spells such as hunter’s mark and from the class features granted by the ranger archetypes. The 3rd-level feature in each archetype usually either provides a raw increase in combat power, or grants the ranger greater combat versatility.
Favored Enemy was intentionally designed to provide no combat bonus, because the ranger’s strength in combat should not rely solely on the discretion of the Dungeon Master or the circumstances of the adventure. Although the Hunter archetype’s 3rd-level ability does rely somewhat on the nature of the foes being fought, Favored Enemy is generally useful in the interaction and exploration pillars of the game.

Keeping the above in mind, there does not seem to be any clear distinction between the already established Hunter archetype and the Slayer archetype you are gunning for. They're far too thematically, and consequently mechanically, similar.

Can you better distinguish against Hunter to better develop your new archetype concept?

DanyBallon
2015-06-11, 07:25 PM
I'm well aware that the favored enemy is supposed to be geared toward the exploration part, but what I'm looking for is a ranger subclass that specialize into tracking and slayer a particular type of beast (i.e. dragon slayer, troll slayer, etc.)

And in order to not move too far from the exploration part, I'd limit the favored enemy boost to advantage only, and instead build other abilities that would use this advantage (hence the sneak attack ability) But only sneak atttack would be pretty boring so I'm looking for other features and ribbons that would fit thematically with a specialize beast slayer. Maybe gaining some aspect of the beast due to eating the heart of their kill...

Stan
2015-06-11, 08:16 PM
While I don't think every feature should be focused on the favored enemy as that would be too narrow (and you don't seem to be doing that anyway), I think an archetype that gives some combat bonuses in that direction is a good idea. It won't fit with every campaign but that's not a big issue.

How about something like:
Know your Enemy - if you have spent at least a minute either tracking or observing your opponent, you get advantage on the next attack. If the opponent is a favored enemy, you can skip the minute.

Maybe replace advantage with something else, like larger crit range or sneak attack on surprise.

Another, still vaguely formed.
Trophy - you can take a piece of an enemy you have slain and wear it. If that enemy scored a crit on you, reduced you to <1/3 your hitpoint total, or is a favored enemy, you get benefits. Maybe advantage to intimidation to that creature type, or someone who would recognize the trophy. Or a combat bonus to the wearer, such as adding proficiency to one damage roll per turn to that type/group. Trophies probably lose their effectiveness after a time.

DanyBallon
2015-06-12, 02:48 PM
While I don't think every feature should be focused on the favored enemy as that would be too narrow (and you don't seem to be doing that anyway), I think an archetype that gives some combat bonuses in that direction is a good idea. It won't fit with every campaign but that's not a big issue.

How about something like:
Know your Enemy - if you have spent at least a minute either tracking or observing your opponent, you get advantage on the next attack. If the opponent is a favored enemy, you can skip the minute.

Maybe replace advantage with something else, like larger crit range or sneak attack on surprise.

Another, still vaguely formed.
Trophy - you can take a piece of an enemy you have slain and wear it. If that enemy scored a crit on you, reduced you to <1/3 your hitpoint total, or is a favored enemy, you get benefits. Maybe advantage to intimidation to that creature type, or someone who would recognize the trophy. Or a combat bonus to the wearer, such as adding proficiency to one damage roll per turn to that type/group. Trophies probably lose their effectiveness after a time.

I like both idea! Know your enemy would be useful pretty much all the time without being too powerful, and you get a small bonus if it's your favorite enemy.

Taking part of your enemy as token of war is a nice concept. It could give you bonus to intimidation as you are becoming a famous [insert beast type] slayer. And maybe favored enemy would have to make a Wisdom saving throw or be frightened on the first round they encounter you... Or it could be showing off your trophy that trigger the saving throw...