PDA

View Full Version : GRUNT: 'Nam '65-66.

MechaMaestro
2015-06-11, 12:38 PM
Late November, 1965. American involvement in South Vietnam has begun to steadily increase as more and more US military personnel are deployed to the small South-East Asian country.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/South_Vietnam_Map.jpg

Upon arrival in country, the Grunts are distributed from the depot in Da Nang to whatever unit needs them. They’ve heard the 1st Air Cavalry had taken stiff losses in the Battle of Ia Drang scarcely a week earlier. Many feel that they will be safe, as long as they aren’t sent to the Cav. Unfortunately, that’s exactly where they’re going. After a short induction, they are loaded onto helicopters with all of their kit and flown to Camp Radcliff in II Corps, the military district covering the Central Highlands and coastal lowlands of South Vietnam.

http://peteralanlloyd.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/GolfCourse-at-Camp-Radcliff.jpg
Camp Radcliff, including the helicopter take-off and landing field nicknamed "The Golf Course"

As the grunts fly over their new base, they will more than likely see Hon Kon mountain, where the 1st Cav Air control radio towers and radar stations are located. The Engineers have cleared off a significant part of the hill and painted the Yellow Shield emblem of the First Cavalry

http://www.eagerarms.com/pictures/VN_Hon_Kong_Mtn_RVN.jpg
Hon Kon Mountain

Upon landing, the troops are marched off to the clerks who organize them and assign them barracks and units. The men are issued their required gear and weaponry. By the time the Grunts arrive at their tents, night has fallen over the base and they are too exhausted to do much else. One of the clerks tells the Squad and Team Leader to report to Tent 256-B at 0600 hours the following morning.

Bright and Early the next day the squad’s NCO’s wake up, get dressed and head over to tent 256-B. Entering they see the other squad and team leaders from the platoon, who look over the two fairly casually, clearly sizing them up.

“You with the ARVN?” A white Sergeant comments to Chappie, his question flowing with a thick Minnesota accent, a cigarette dangling from his lips.

-----
Meanwhile back in the squad barracks, the Grunts awaken. "Man, when'd you FNG's show up?" A black grunt comments as he slides on a thick pair of eyeglasses.

SlyJohnny
2015-06-11, 03:58 PM
Wilson blinks at the soldier from behind his equally thick, cheap glasses.

"Chuh-chuh-choppered us in just last night. I guess we're supposed to replace all those poor bastards that got zapped over at Ia Drang?" He says, managing to keep his stutter mostly under control. He carefully watches the man's reaction to the mention of Ia Drang, wanting to probe him for more information and assessing how difficult a topic it's going to be, and how much he can push.

MechaMaestro
2015-06-11, 04:07 PM
Wilson blinks at the soldier from behind his equally thick, cheap glasses.

"Chuh-chuh-choppered us in just last night. I guess we're supposed to replace all those poor bastards that got zapped over at Ia Drang?" He says, managing to keep his stutter mostly under control. He carefully watches the man's reaction to the mention of Ia Drang, wanting to probe him for more information and assessing how difficult a topic it's going to be, and how much he can push.

"Guess so." The grunt replies, pulling on his pants. "Yeah, Ia Drang was some ****. Though we were at LZ X-Ray. Didn't get hit as bad as the 2-7th at Albany. Name's Jefferson, but the boys call me Chrysler. What do they call you?"

dream
2015-06-11, 04:48 PM
SPC4 Sülgoy
FNG Pig Farmer

Meanwhile back in the squad barracks, the Grunts awaken. "Man, when'd you FNG's show up?" A black grunt comments as he slides on a thick pair of eyeglasses.

Bravi looks at the black troop and smiles somewhat, like it hurts his lips to do it. He glances around the barracks and reaches for his fatigues.

"Um, yesterday evening, sir. What times does the chow hall open, sir?"

Sülgoy rubs his face and the stubble tickles his calloused palms. Kind of. He stands, yanks up his trousers, then sits, grabbing his jungle boots. Fingering a pack of Lucky Strikes out of his right boot, "Bambi" tucks them in his cargo-pocket.

MechaMaestro
2015-06-11, 04:53 PM
SPC4 Sülgoy
FNG Pig Farmer

Bravi looks at the black troop and smiles somewhat, like it hurts his lips to do it. He glances around the barracks and reaches for his fatigues.

"Um, yesterday evening, sir. What times does the chow hall open, sir?"

Sülgoy rubs his face and the stubble tickles his calloused palms. Kind of. He stands, yanks up his trousers, then sits, grabbing his jungle boots. Fingering a pack of Lucky Strikes out of his right boot, "Bambi" tucks them in his cargo-pocket.

"Man, do I look like an officer to you? You are new. Hope you ain't the new grenadier."

cubedancer
2015-06-11, 05:34 PM
Meanwhile... tent 256-B
Sergeant Charlie Mason

“You with the ARVN?” A white Sergeant comments to Chappie, his question flowing with a thick Minnesota accent, a cigarette dangling from his lips.

A stocky character with a spray of freckles across his flat nose and sergeant bars on his shirt, tips his head at the exchange.

"Bad enough we got them crawling all over the countryside, now they're right in our barracks."

MechaMaestro
2015-06-11, 05:51 PM
Meanwhile... tent 256-B
Sergeant Charlie Mason

A stocky character with a spray of freckles across his flat nose and sergeant bars on his shirt, tips his head at the exchange.

"Bad enough we got them crawling all over the countryside, now they're right in our barracks."

A Staff Sergeant speaks up "He ain't no Vietnamese! But he does look like a shake-and-bake to me!"

Fates
2015-06-11, 10:00 PM
"Man, do I look like an officer to you? You are new. Hope you ain't the new grenadier."

Tying his boots, a tanned, specky-faced youth picks up his head and interjects. His Midwestern accent is so thick he could pass as Canadian. "Over here friend. Say, sounds like you been here a while." He nonchalantly bends back over to focus on his boots.

MechaMaestro
2015-06-11, 10:07 PM
Tying his boots, a tanned, specky-faced youth picks up his head and interjects. His Midwestern accent is so thick he could pass as Canadian. "Over here friend. Say, sounds like you been here a while." He nonchalantly lowers his head to focus on his boots.

"Naw, we've only been here since September. The Drang was the hardest we've seen." Chrysler buttons up his jacket. "I'm your other Grenadier. Just do what I do and you'll be fine, y'dig?"

One of the other Grunts has gotten out of his bunk and started to get dressed "**** man, you guys were quieter than Charlie last night!"

Fates
2015-06-11, 10:22 PM
Derrick stands up and brushes himself off. He stretches, letting out a bear yawn. "Yeah, uh, I dig." The young man scratches his head at the second grunt's comment. He murmurs, Didn't wanna wake anybody up, waiting for someone else to break the silence.

Cyber
2015-06-11, 10:50 PM
Tent 256-B. Staff Sergeant Brian "Chappie" Shigetaro.

Brian was confused for a moment, "ARVN?". And than he realized: that guy took him for one of the arvin or what more likely mocked Chappie. Shigetaro frowned but Bravo intervened before Chappie was able to reply.
"Keep your mouth shut when big kids talks, Mason", Brian almost roared. Than he tilted his head to the left and replied to Staff Sergeant in a much calmer manner, "I'm not viet, you right - I'm with Uncle Sam, name Brian - S.SGT as you can see and I really nice guy - what about you? Perhaps you aussie from FWMAF?"
Oh boy, this honkies always so annoying.

MechaMaestro
2015-06-11, 11:30 PM
"ROOM!" The Sergeant is cut off before he can respond by the sudden appearance of two soldiers at the door. One of them, a black man with a thin brown mustache and 1st Sergeant's Stripes on his sleeve, the other a white man with neatly combed brown hair and gold bars on his shirt collar.

"Morning Gentlemen," the officer says, his voice betraying his Kansas origins. "First order of business, let’s give a happy First platoon welcome to Staff Sergeant... Shigetaro? Did I pronounce it correctly? He and Sergeant Mason will be taking control of First Squad, replacing Staff Sergeant Kelly and Sergeant Yates. We weren't able to meet last night, but I am Second Lieutenant Hoffman, your new CO, and this is Platoon Sergeant DuChamp. Now I know we’d all like some R&R after Ia Drang, but I’m afraid we’ve got a mission today..."

The entire room groans in disappointment.

“I know, I know, but Charles doesn’t rest and neither do we. Anyways, let’s get down to brass tacks.” He continues, laying a map on the table

http://i.imgur.com/STlDgWI.png

Area of Operations:
Bihn Din Province

Situation:
Informants in the village of Sa Le have reported sightings of individuals in and around the jungles south of their rice fields carrying crates and large sacks. Unknown persons described as wearing black clothing and carrying small arms of French origin. Probable Vietcong.

Sa Le is a village numbering about 50 persons. It serves as a sort of hub for a series of six hamlets located to the south, as well as the villages of Sa Ho and Sa Ha to the west. Sa Le is known to be friendly and loyal to South Vietnamese forces, and has become a key component in expanding the Civilian Irregular Defense Group Program in the area.

Friendly Support:
2nd Platoon will be on alert at An Khe as a Rapid Reaction Force and if needed, will be on station in the AO within fifteen minutes. Due to the proximity of friendly civilians, aerial support assets will be available only for emergencies.

Enemy Forces:
From informant description, intelligence has presumed the individuals are possibly leading elements of a Main Force Vietcong regiment. They are estimated to be small in number. Suspected Vietcong have not approached 100 meters of the village, but are clearly making themselves known. Activity seems to be focused around a patch of jungle to the south and south-east.

Callsigns:
1st Platoon – Panther
- CO – Panther 6
- 1st Squad – Panther 1
-2nd Squad – Panther 2
-3rd Squad – Panther 3

Plan of Operation
Upon insertion into LZ Alpha, platoon will conduct a sweep through the jungles. Maps identify an old French trail leading through it that should be easy to follow. Upon completion, platoon will head to LZ Bravo for extraction.
If there aren’t any other questions, go get breakfast, then head back to your squads and brief them. Be assembled with weapons and ammo on the flight line at 1000 hours.

Dismissed.

(I will assume that you guys automatically briefed them on the mission.) The Grunts have enough time to do one last RP action before the mission kicks off (Visit the chaplin, write a letter home, something quick). Squad Leader and Team leaders need to decide which grunts are part of their fireteam as well as the marching order. Remember that one scout must be at the front and one at the rear. In addition to this, draw a line signifying what route you want to take. Figure out if you guys need to share loads, and remember to load up on frag grenades, they're free and only take one slot!

SlyJohnny
2015-06-12, 06:56 AM
"Guess so." The grunt replies, pulling on his pants. "Yeah, Ia Drang was some ****. Though we were at LZ X-Ray. Didn't get hit as bad as the 2-7th at Albany. Name's Jefferson, but the boys call me Chrysler. What do they call you?"

"I'm Herbert Wilson, people call me Herb or Herbie. I duh-don't have a war name yet. Chrysler's a good name. They're damn fine cars! How'd you get called that?"

Wilson adjusts his glasses. "Whuh-whuh-what happened to the 2-7th? Did the ***** have armor, or something like that?"

MechaMaestro
2015-06-12, 08:07 AM
"I'm Herbert Wilson, people call me Herb or Herbie. I duh-don't have a war name yet. Chrysler's a good name. They're damn fine cars! How'd you get called that?"

Wilson adjusts his glasses. "Whuh-whuh-what happened to the 2-7th? Did the ***** have armor, or something like that?"

"Back home I was working at the Detroit factory before I got my draft notice." Chrysler replies.

"There wasn't armor at Ia Drang man," the other grunt says, brushing his thick moustache with his fingers, "But we weren't fighting no rice-paddy-daddies either, we were fighting the NVA! They hurled just waves of themselves at us man, it was wild!"

"Yeah. The 2-7th were moving to a new LZ as the battle was wrapping up, got ambushed. A whole battalion just moving in column. How many did they lose?"

"Something like a hundred fifty killed, a few less wounded." Another grunt, a Latino pulls himself out of bed. "Is one of you on el cerdo with me?

cubedancer
2015-06-12, 12:28 PM
By the Barracks
Sergeant Charlie Mason

Bravo attempts to nudge Chappie with his shoulder.

"You know we was just playing with you right Sergeant?" He offers a grin, ""Hell, if ARVN all got into uniform tomorrow to fight for Uncle Sam war'd be over. No more craziness like Ia Drang, no more bugs the size of your thumb, no more sweat."

As if to emphasise this, he wipes the moisture from his brow with his hands and then wipes his hands onto his fatigues. Then he produces a tobacco tin and with practised fingers, pops it open and rolls a cigarette, using a strip of faded cigarette card for a filter.

"Care for a smoke?" He raises an eyebrow at Chappie.

dream
2015-06-12, 01:29 PM
SPC4 Sülgoy
FNG Pig Farmer
Barracks

Finishing up his uniform, Bravi brings up a smoke and lights it with his Zippo®. Sülgoy was no little man, standing over six foot and weighing over 200 pounds. He flexed his muscled arms under his cammie blouse and inhaled deep as he looked at Wlson,

"Dontchu worry about it, Herbie. We were trained well and Chrysler from Detroit here'll show us the ropes in the jungle. You'll be fine. We all will. Or we'll all die out there and go to heaven with the Lord. It's win-win, right!"

Smoke wafts from his nostrils as Sülgoy grins at Herbie, then he walks forward and extends his big paw for a shake,

"Bravi Sülgoy, White Plains, Utah. Folks call me "Bambi" - why I don't know. Pleased to meet you, Herbie. You too, Chrysler. How long have you been here, with the CAV I mean?"

Bambi shrugs at the Latino grunt, not knowing what 'el cerdo' was.

MechaMaestro
2015-06-12, 01:34 PM
SPC4 Sülgoy
FNG Pig Farmer
Barracks

Finishing up his uniform, Bravi brings up a smoke and lights it with his Zippo®. Sülgoy was no little man, standing over six foot and weighing over 200 pounds. He flexed his muscled arms under his cammie blouse and inhaled deep as he looked at Wlson,

"Dontchu worry about it, Herbie. We were trained well and Chrysler from Detroit here'll show us the ropes in the jungle. You'll be fine. We all will. Or we'll all die out there and go to heaven with the Lord. It's win-win, right!"

Smoke wafts from his nostrils as Sülgoy grins at Herbie, then he walks forward and extends his big paw for a shake,

"Bravi Sülgoy, White Plains, Utah. Folks call me "Bambi" - why I don't know. Pleased to meet you, Herbie. You too, Chrysler. How long have you been here, with the CAV I mean?"

Bambi nods at the Latino grunt, not knowing what 'el cerdo' was.

"Man, what they taught you back in the world has not prepared you for the **** you're about to face man. And if the new Non-Coms have gone off, that means we've got a mission today." Chrysler replies.

"Eh, you look big." the Latino walks over to Bambi. "They call me Toro. You lugging the M60 around?"

(Squad Leaders please decide on a route soon.)

dream
2015-06-13, 06:37 AM
"Man, what they taught you back in the world has not prepared you for the **** you're about to face man. And if the new Non-Coms have gone off, that means we've got a mission today." Chrysler replies.

"Eh, you look big." the Latino walks over to Bambi. "They call me Toro. You lugging the M60 around?"

Bambi looked at Chrysler then scanned the barracks again while taking another drag. Exhaling twin jets of smoke from his nose, he answered Toro,

"That's me. Machine-gunner. What about you: any advice I can use to stay alive out there, Toro?"

MechaMaestro
2015-06-13, 06:40 AM
Bambi looked at Chrysler then scanned the barracks again while taking another drag. Exhaling twin jets of smoke from his nose, he answered Toro,

"That's me. Machine-gunner. What about you: any advice I can use to stay alive out there, Toro?"

"Yeah, don't carry around an M60! Charlie likes to take us out so we can't give support." Toro chuckles.

"Hey man, carry around the Prick for a couple hours and you'll be wishing you were slinging your hog again, man."

cubedancer
2015-06-13, 06:53 AM
By the Barracks
Sergeant Charlie Mason

Bravo lights up and inhales what feels like the last cigarette he'll ever have at Camp Radcliff.

Not Charlie, couldn't call him Charlie, name of the enemy they said. So Charlie became Bravo. The men he would help looked a likely lot so far but you could never tell. Some of the veterans would insist on spotting the best, the strongest, the most cool, the deadliest from a single glance. Bravo saw only guys like himself, sticking their chins out to prove their grit, sticking their necks out for the US of A, but nervous. The staff sergeant one of the worst, straight out of Fort Benning, most like, but that means knowing jungle at least. Had no idea a Japanese could get in the army since the Great War, but at least this one's not all quiet like the ******** when they came to the harbour. Had some balls.

MechaMaestro
2015-06-14, 07:10 AM
(Okay, to expedite this, I'm going to go with the route and marching order decided in the OOC)

With gear ready and final personal prep done, the squad forms up with the rest of the platoon at the helipad. As the Platoon Sergeant checks the grunts gear, the Lieutenant calls the squad leaders over.

"Alright, when we touch down, I want the platoon in a triangle formation. Shigetaro, your squad will take up a line formation facing North! Bronson, West to South-West, and Derrickson, yours from East to South-East. When the slicks are gone, all of you rally in the center with me."

The Squad-leaders return to their squads and the Platoon Sergeant marches them over by assigned pylons.

"Shigetaro!" He says, "You men are on slick number one. When it touches down, you get over and get aboard. Remember, if you need to get on the other side, do not go around the rear of the bird, go around the front! Safeties on until you hit the ground!"

Soon after he leaves, this sound fills the air, gradually growing louder and louder
https://youtu.be/yOCCY63UOGQ?t=97

http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/Huey_side_colour_CMS.jpg

A line of four Bell UH-1 Iroquois helicopters flies over the flight line, low and slow. They touch down next to their assigned markers.

cubedancer
2015-06-14, 05:09 PM
There was barely time to learn the names of the rest of the grunts in the barracks, let alone more about Chappie, before the top cats were demanding their appearance. After their briefing at the helipad, Bravo looked over his team. As the whirlwind of dust stirred by the descending chopper began to settle, he spat the windblown dirt from his mouth and growled, "You know who you are Team Bravo, first in the chopper, first out."

SlyJohnny
2015-06-14, 07:44 PM
Herb balks; he hates flying in choppers. But he says nothing, only checks his gear one last time and embarks in the order he's supposd to.

Fates
2015-06-15, 01:13 AM
Derrick checks his bearings to make sure everything is in order- wouldn't want to screw up on his first mission. Once he's satisfied, he takes one last glance around the bunker before rushing to his place on the copter.

dream
2015-06-15, 06:32 AM
SPC4 Sülgoy
Pig Whisperer
Slick Station

Bambi checked and rechecked his gear; The feel of his pack, dog tags, bug juice, M60 tripod, smokes, Fruit Stripe™ gum. As he walked for the bird, Bravi looked around at his unit and blinked at the dust being kicked-up by the Huey. He started to hum a tune and began singing,

" O Mother, tell your children, not to dooooo what I have done .... speeeend your lives in sin and misery, in the House of the Riiiiiising Sun."

He climbed aboard the screaming helo, found his seat and exhaled as he scanned the faces of his squad.

MechaMaestro
2015-06-17, 10:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMWNwHof0kc

With the squad on board the helicopter, the four slicks lift into the air and veer up and away from the Golf Course. The four helicopters are joined by another pair of Huey's, neither carrying men, but armed with side mounted chain-guns and rocket pods, the other two are light recon helicopters.

http://home.swipnet.se/our_stuff/Bell%20Huey%20Gunship.jpg

As the grunts fly high over the countryside, they quickly pass by all matter of scenic views. To the west they can see great hills of the Central highlands, to the east, in the distance they can see the sparkling West China Sea.

https://photos.travelblog.org/Photos/46411/211964/f/1624190-Vietnam-Countryside-0.jpg

All below them, farmers work among their vast rice paddy fields. But is their focus entirely on the harvest, or are they keeping a close eye on the passing helicopters, sharing the path of travel with Vietcong spies?

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff25/lehoang1982/Binh_Dinh/HoaiAnBinhDinh.jpg

"Alright boys, get ready you'll be on the LZ in five minutes!" The Co-Pilot shouts back to the grunts.

dream
2015-06-17, 12:09 PM
SPC4 Bravi Sülgoy
Condition: Should've went to Canada
sheet (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19385027&postcount=2)

'Bambi' re-checked the M60, adding some grease and triple-checking the trigger mechanism. It felt more awkward than normal right now. He swallowed and inhaled deeply, as his heart raced in his chest. A few trails of sweat rippled down his face as Sülgoy looked around the helo until his eyes locked on 'Bravo',

"HOOOAAAH, Sergeant! I'm ready to get some!"

'Bambi' dug his Fruit Stripes™ out and began chewing rapidly, stroking the Pig's trigger with his thumb.

cubedancer
2015-06-17, 05:39 PM
Sergeant Charlie Mason

"That's what I like to hear," Bravo grinned at Bambi. Big as a truck, guess our boy here ain't got a lot to trouble him. "If Charlie comes creeping up on us, we'll be ready, right men?" Bravo patted the stock of his rifle and glanced around at the soldiers jammed into the copter. If Alaska's greenery had once left him stunned there was no comparison to Nam.

SlyJohnny
2015-06-18, 05:47 AM
Herb looks worried, returning his sergeant's look.

"You think we'll actually see any Victor Charlies on this patrol, sir?" he asks, clearly not relishing the idea.

cubedancer
2015-06-18, 01:43 PM
Sergeant Charlie Mason

"They might not show up, Charles don't take too well to being out of hiding" Bravo responded in his clipped, Boston tones, doing his best to settle the medic, as he did not want his anxiousness to spread, especially not to him. "As you know, we're here to see if the ***** have been poking their faces out of their spider holes and if they have, we might have to take action." Bravo sniffed. The smell of the Jungle was practically a taste in the back of his mouth now, like the sewage silos by the harbour back home, fresher, fruitier, yet still mouldering, a whole strange new stench.

dream
2015-06-18, 06:34 PM
SPC4 Bravi Sülgoy
Condition: nearing Section 8
sheet (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19385027&postcount=2)

"Bambi's" feet shuffled, tapped and danced as his heart raced more. He chewed faster and watched Vietnam flash past the open hatch. This is the benefit of a public education and too much Jack Daniels. A one-way trip to the most-scenic region of Hell. Chewing faster, "Bambi" first mumbled, then began singing to himself,

"...Weeellll, Long Tall Sally she's, built for speed she got, everything that Uncle John need, oh baaabaaay, yeeeeaaahh babaaay woooooohoooooo babaaaay, having me some fun toniiiight, yeaaaaah ...."

MechaMaestro
2015-06-19, 06:21 AM
The Huey suddenly drops down and lands on a field. The squad quickly dis embarks as SSgt. Shigetaro quickly orders the men to take postition facing the forest.

Almost as soon as it landed, the Huey's rise back up into the sky and fly off, the sounds of helicopters slowly fading into the distance. Shigetaro runs to the Lieutenant.

As they talk, on a dirt road crossing the field, a young woman in a blue Ao Dai, rice paddy hat rides past the platoon on a bicycle, and follows the trail into the jungle.

Shigetaro returns and tells the squad the platoon will be moving out in column formation, they are at the head of the column and for the rear most man to make sure they maintain visual contact with the point man of the headquarters section.

Because Cyber hasn't posted in a week, I'm leaving this decision to Cubedancer. How fast should the squad move, Exploratory (1km/h), Cautious (3km\h, -1 to Detect Rolls) or Fast (4km\h, -2 to detect rolls).

dream
2015-06-19, 09:02 AM
SPC4 Bravi Sülgoy
Condition: Too short for this

Racing from the whirly-bird, "Bambi" falls into the prone at the designated range, his A-gunner nearby. He finds his field of fire, scans the wide-open terrain for motion through the sight, and picks out the bike rider. Raising his head to get a better look, SPC4 Sülgoy had a moment of "imagination", then went back to aiming at anything.

cubedancer
2015-06-19, 05:19 PM
Sergeant Charlie Mason
Landing Zone

Bravo vaulted off the chopper with his team in tow, boots scrunching across the flattened grass, wincing in the draft of the Huey's rotary blades. "Ready yourselves men," he called out as Chappie talked to the LT. Still cool as iced milk, maybe I'll start singing with the big guy. With that crazy scenario in mind, Bravo caught the woman out of the corner of his eye and ended up making a bit of a show checking his gear as she pedalled past.

Rifle, frags, kit bag, webbing, zippo, tobacco, the once over was snatching him seconds to think. So this is it, popping your cherry, here we go. "We're moving out nice and slow, so keep with the column, and that means you too Bambi, this ain't no ****ing picnic." Bravo signalled to the squad and set out at a steady pace, feeling his heart begin to pound, scanning the treeline ahead.

"Remember what I said team, first in, first out."

Going for a Cautious approach Mecha

MechaMaestro
2015-06-19, 05:36 PM
The squad leads the platoon along the path and into the jungle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZc94cO54kY

As they enter, following the path they soon find the trail splits according to the map, one branch heading off to the left, the other going right into a thick mass of trees and bushes. It seems the map was based off of old ones, and from the looks of it the road hasn't been improved since the end of French Colonial rule in the 1950's. However, upon closer inspection it appears there is still some evidence of a cleared path, but the build up makes it hard to see very far in front of you. The route being picked is not an easy one to boot, and the decision to veer off of whatever path there was certainly isn't helping things.

"**** man, are we even on the trail anymore? We could be in Cambodia for all we know!" the RTO man, "Hurtin' Hippie" hisses as he tromps along with the squad.

Ninjaman has until 7am AST (Noon for his Timezone) to make 3 secret detect trap rolls and 3 secret detect ambush rolls. Remember, that's #d6 equal to the awareness atribute, plus any applicable modifiers from skills, with a one dice penalty for moving at a cautious pace. All this is then doubled for the total number of dice rolled. The goal is to get a single die to hit a magic number. If he doesn't make the roll by that time, I'll be doing it for him. Please feel free to RP!

Ninjaman
2015-06-19, 08:13 PM
Wahoo kept a vigilant gaze as they moved through the problematic flora.

Hope this is the right amount of dice.

Spot Ambush
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Spot Trap
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

MechaMaestro
2015-06-19, 08:29 PM
Nothing of particular interest has caught Wahoo's eye or drifted into his ears. All he can hear is the jungle. After an hour's trek, the platoon halts for a ten minute break so the grunts can have a quick bite of the C-Ration candy bars or a swig of water. The heat in the steaming jungle is like a pressure cooker. All is still quiet. Maybe there aren't any VC. Maybe there are a whole lot, just waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike.

The Rules say that after an hour of travel, the pointman and rear guard should be replaced. Will the squad alter the marching order? Will the squad change their pace of travel?

SlyJohnny
2015-06-20, 06:39 AM
Herb trudges along with the others. He's a heavyset guy used to manual labour, and shows no signs of tiring, but he's clearly unused to this heat. He stops, taking a long drink from his canteen and pouring some cold water down his face and the front of his fatigues, replacing it on his belt half-empty. Maybe they won't run into any VC out here, he muses silently. That would be nice.

cubedancer
2015-06-20, 07:56 AM
Sergeant Charlie Mason
The Jungle

Bravo watched Wahoo at the front of the column making his way through the undergrowth. The scout seemed alert, ready for action even in the deadening heat and atmosphere under the canopy. Sweat trickled down Bravo's armpits and thighs and he wiped the slick substance from his brow before it dripped into his eyes. At first every tremor from every plant seemed like the movement of the enemy but as the platoon trudged onwards, having seen nothing but the woman on the bicycle, Bravo began to feel more at ease. He took a sip from his water cannister and checked the map. All they had to do for now was make a sweep of the trees and return to the fork in the road.

Slow to Exploratory

MechaMaestro
2015-06-20, 09:07 AM
(Since Ninjaman is the only PC scout, I'll assume he's fine with remaining on point.)

The squad's pace slows down as they continue through the jungle. As the platoon follows through on it's looping path it eventually finds approaching the trail again, roughly where they went off of it. The evidence of their previous visit to the area still quite visible. The jungle is still fairly quiet. The only things that can be heard are the rustles of follage and equipment as the men move combined with their staggered careful breathing.

Wahoo must make a Spot trap and a Spot Ambush secret roll. No penalty to the number of dice rolled due to the exploratory speed.

Ninjaman
2015-06-20, 05:53 PM
Wahoo continues the scouting, the slower movement speed allowing him to look more thoroughly.

Spot Ambush
[roll0]

Spot Trap
[roll1]

MechaMaestro
2015-06-20, 06:41 PM
As the squad doubles back on it's path, they continue along the trail towards the river that cuts through the jungle. The jungle is just as thick and hard to traverse as ever, maybe even more so. Now on point, Scrabble carefully judges the path ahead of him, looking for any signs of ambush or booby traps, not an easy task in the dense jungle. After another kilometer, the platoon is in sight of the river crossing. Although from where they are, it looks to be more of a shallow stream.

Spot Trap [roll0]
Spot Ambush [roll1]

Without warning, Scrabble is engulfed in an explosion! When the smoke clears, Scrabble is on the ground. He is not moving. Almost immediately afterwards, the squad takes fire from their front! Bullets rip apart the foliage as the sounds of small arms fire begin to echo throughout the forest! (https://youtu.be/7WKrkAlgj64?t=14)

ALL GRUNTS MUST MAKE A PANIC ROLL ON 2d6, MUST HIT THEIR PANIC OR HIGHER TO ACT IN THE FIRST ROUND. Failure means you are pinned to the ground and to scared to do anything but pray you don't get hit!

SlyJohnny
2015-06-20, 07:40 PM
Herb was yawning when the bomb goes off, made drowsy by the humid air and the heat, and he nearly bites his tongue off in surprise.

"Fuh-fuh-uck! ************!" he yelps.

He stares at Scrabble as the pointman goes down, jaw agape. Adrenaline surges through him as he struggles to absorb what is happening...

I don't know how to do a panic roll, but I'm assuming it's 2d6 and lower is better? [roll0]

Will make a second post on the assumption I can act after that roll.

MechaMaestro
2015-06-20, 07:44 PM
"Aw, **** MAN!" Chrysler shouts as he dives behind a nearby tree and preps his grenade launcher

Herb is too scared to do anything! (2d6 and roll equal to or HIGHER than your panic in order to act.)

dream
2015-06-20, 07:50 PM
SPC4 Bravi Sülgoy
Condition: Holy S***!

"Bambi" hits the deck following the blast, trying to get the "pig" ready to rock! The sounds of hell breaking loose starts to get the best of him though as bullets whiz past him biting into the jungle terrain!

[roll0]

MechaMaestro
2015-06-20, 07:51 PM
SPC4 Bravi Sülgoy
Condition: Holy S***!

"Bambi" hits the deck following the blast, trying to get the "pig" ready to rock!

[roll0]

Maybe in Fort Polk, but not in the 'Nam. BAMBI (PANIC 9) IS UNABLE TO ACT.

Ninjaman
2015-06-20, 08:39 PM
[roll0]

Wahoo manage to keep his cool through the explosion and gunfire. He crouch down as he looks at his terrified teammates. "Sissies." He mumbles as he grips his rifle and aims it at the direction of the fire.

MechaMaestro
2015-06-20, 08:48 PM
Being the last man in the column, Wahoo has the guts to do something!

Wahoo can act in the first round.

cubedancer
2015-06-21, 02:39 AM
Sergeant Charlie Mason
Under Fire

Bravo sees Scrabble fall. Smoke and debris and gunshots surround him.

[roll0]

cubedancer
2015-06-21, 03:04 AM
Sergeant Charlie Mason
Taking action

Bravo drops to the ground, rifle at the ready. His movements feel slow and foggy but the bootcamp, training, Fort Wainwright has all paid off.
"Men, hold position and take cover!" He hears himself yell as if from a distance. His ears are ringing as he crawls to Scrabble's position, hunting targets in the trees.

MechaMaestro
2015-06-21, 07:41 AM
http://i.imgur.com/sMjjeb7.png

Squad is located at US. The Red arrow signifies probably direction bullets are coming from. There are some large rocks in the stream bed that could be used as cover. Foliage is very thick. Distance across the stream bed is a little over 100 meters.

Bravo and Wahoo can do one action. OOC thread will have a summary of movement and firing.

Cyber
2015-06-22, 06:25 AM
SSG. Brian Shigetaro;
Condition: F**k F**k *F**k;

That was sudden. That was loud. That was scary. So Chappie found cowardly himself behind a tree hugging his M16 while his subordinates tried to do something. Such disgrace for man who bears Shigetaro family name. Such disgrace...

MechaMaestro
2015-06-22, 10:25 AM
"Hey Sarge! Six needs to talk to you, man!" Hurtin' Hippie prods Shigetaro with the radio's telephone receiver. The LT can be heard over the radio.

"PANTHER ONE, THIS IS PANTHER SIX WHAT IS YOUR STATUS? WHAT'S GOING ON UP THERE? OVER!"

Seeing Shigetaro freezing up, Hurtin' Hippie puts to radio back to his ear. "Panther Six, this is Panther One, I-I-I-I-I think we've been ambushed, man! I don't know who got hit, over!"

Rounds continue to crack overhead.

Wahoo and Bravo w/ his team NPC's, please confirm actions.

Ninjaman
2015-06-22, 01:24 PM
Wahoo opens fire towards the left of the asumed Vietkong position.

[roll0]

MechaMaestro
2015-06-22, 02:08 PM
Wahoo contributes 1 dice to the area fire pool. Roll the second shot.

The other members of the squad open fire on the suspected VC postition. Grenades and bullets tear into the foliage. (These are secret area fire rolls, you don't get to know how they did.)

Ninjaman
2015-06-22, 02:45 PM
The other shot
[roll0]

MechaMaestro
2015-06-22, 02:54 PM
Unlike his first burst of fire, Wahoo's second burst goes wide.

END OF TURN ONE
Panther One this is Panther Six, continue laying fire down on enemy postitions. Panther Two is moving in on your left to support, Panther Three is going to try and cut them off. Do not let them escape! Panther Six Out!"

The fire intensifies from across the stream. The pops of small arms continues to ring out in the forest.

MechaMaestro
2015-06-22, 02:57 PM
VC Fire Rolls

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

As Bravo attempts to crawl forwards to Scrabble, he is struck by the VC fire! He slumps on the ground next to Scrabble's also motionless body!

Chappie, Wahoo, Herb and Bambi must make another panic test in order to act. NPC's are assumed to continue conducting area fire unless declared otherwise.

Snapping out of it, Chappie gets control of himself and is now able to act in the Second Round! Herb passes his panic test and can also act! Bambi is still too scared to act!

SlyJohnny
2015-06-22, 05:13 PM
Herb watches, dumbfounded. All the live fire exercises in the world can't prepare you for this. The noise isn't even as bad as the time the drill instructors made them crawl under barbed wire while five M60's blazed continuously above them, but there was a key psychological element missing then. Knowing these bullets are fired at him, meant to kill him, fills him with an instinctive mortal dread, a terror too profound to deny.

Then he watches Bravo go down- the second casualty of the day- and some of his training kicks in. He nearly throws up as he realises he's obligated to leave the dubious safety of the hefty tree he's huddling behind and run across the roiling field of noise and death, but at the same time, he pictures himself, the squad's only doctor, just cowering in place while his friends die. It's that feeling of shame that gets him up and moving, not any heroic impulse.

"Kuh-kuh-COVERING FIRE! I'm on the move! I need suppressing fire!" he yells. He intended to belt the words out as a macho bellow, but it comes out as more of a stuttered, strangled wail.

Triage. Scrabble went down first and he took a bomb to the face. He likely needs aid the fastest.

"Chrysler! Get the sarge, I'm goin' for Victor! I mean, Scrabble!" he shouts.

He jogs in a half-crouch, keeping as low as he can, towards where Scrabble lies. He needs to be quick; seconds might make the difference, so he's already fiddling with the catch on his medical bag, opening it as he moves, but his hands are shaking, his feet aren't working right, and he stumbles on a snag in the earth while he's not looking where he's going. Something flies out from the open bag as he regains his footing, tumbling away onto the jungle floor. He swears in frustration, hesitates, nearly stops to check what it was... no time! Keep moving, and hope it wasn't anything he's going to need!

A few metres left to Scrabble, now. It seems like all the distance in the world. Even home seems closer, at this moment.

Advancing in a Rush towards Scrabble's location.

Ninjaman
2015-06-23, 12:35 AM
Panic roll:

[roll0]

The firefight finally seemed to take it's toll on Wahoo. After unleashing his original salvo he believed his eyes caught a bullet flying close past his face, though it might have just been a figment of his imagination. He threw himself down on the ground, hugging his rifle closely, as if it could somehow make all this alright.

MechaMaestro
2015-06-23, 12:41 AM
Panic roll:

[roll0]

Watching Bravo get hit, Wahoo suddenly freezes up!

Herb has done his action. Chappie must declare his as soon as possible.

Cyber
2015-06-23, 01:51 PM
SSG. Brian 'Chappie' Shigetaro; (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19385104&postcount=4)
Condition: Very very angry;

And only when another grunt ate lead, Chappie started to feel growing rage. "Scumbags!", Brian growled and shot from his M16 to the right of assumed VC position then started to issue orders, "Chrysler! Pull Bravo to cover! Toro - help Herb! Herb do your f**king job! Everyone else: covering fire! BAMBI YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF S**T START SHOOTING G**KS ALREADY!.

Cyber
2015-06-23, 01:52 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

MechaMaestro
2015-06-23, 01:54 PM
Chappie's bursts of tracer fire land into the suspected VC postitions!

Chappie contributes 2 die to the area fire pool!

MechaMaestro
2015-06-23, 02:17 PM
Chrysler follows Herb and dashes towards the wounded Bravo, as the rest of the squad lays down fire on the designated beaten zone! Blondie's grenades smash into the treeline.

End of Turn 2

Start of Turn 3
The enemy fire continues to screech across the streambed!

[roll0]
[roll1]

As Chrysler emerges from behind the tree he took cover on, he's struck by a round and hits the ground! At the same time, Herb reaches Scrabble and Bravo. His body is bleeding from the torso and legs. He's tripped a grenade trap and the shrapnel has torn into his body. Scrabble is on the brink of death and he's slipping. Fast.

A round has smashed into Bravo's shoulder. He's bleeding, the shoulder is probably broken, and his war is over, but he's hanging on.

All players must make a panic test, except for Herb who must make a horror test (2d6 plus spirit, aiming for 10+!) and a Medical Test, 2d6 plus technical, plus 2 for having a medical bag! If you pass your panic test, declare your action.

Cyber
2015-06-23, 02:42 PM
SSG. Brian 'Chappie' Shigetaro; (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19385104&postcount=4)
Condition: Not so good;

[roll0]

SlyJohnny
2015-06-23, 02:59 PM
Herb is initially elated to have reach his destination without a round tearing through his guts, but on assessing his charges he just stares, abjectly horrified. This intensifies when he notices the man behind him get hit, too. It turns out that seeing wounds in the flesh is far worse than textbook pictures. Who'd of thought it?

"Oh god. Oh god. His ****in' legs look like raw steak, man!" Herb yells, to noone in particular.

He tries to shove this feeling down somewhere he can deal with later, and immediately sets to work. He drags his charges over towards an adjacent boulder that's much too low for his liking, and attempts to keep as much of his body as he can behind it while he grabs some dressings from his bag.

"Need to stop the bleeding." he mumbles, drawing his combat knife and slicing open Scrabble's bloodied fatigues to give himself a clear path to the wound, leaving his trouser legs looking like something a dancing girl would wear. "Objects in wound? Yuh-yes. Shrapnel. Don't take 'em out, apply pressure either side, don't cut your fingers, prepare dressing..." He tries not to get distracted thinking about the other two casualties yet, particularly the one that was his fault. A round glances off the lip of the boulder, sending rock dust into the air, barely a foot from Herb. "Fuh-fuh-****kk!"

Horror Test- [roll0] vs 10
Medical treatment on Scrabble [roll1] vs 10

MechaMaestro
2015-06-23, 03:58 PM
Herb has failed to internalize the horror, and his only response is to shout out to no one in particular, but despite this, he's managed to stem Scrabble's bleeding. Scrabble will live, but he needs to get on a medievac helicopter ASAP.

Ninjaman
2015-06-23, 05:27 PM
Rolling for panic:

[roll0]

Panic continued rushing through Wahoos body as he clung tighter to his gun, closing his eyes, awaiting his fate.

cubedancer
2015-06-23, 05:36 PM
Sergeant Charlie Mason
WIA

Bravo had a hazy memory of blood and burnt flesh from Scrabble lurching into view before the stray bullet caught him in the shoulder, ripping through flesh and bone. The world spins around him and he draws gasping, teary-eyed breaths, finding himself lying on the ground, staring at the looming trees in the muck of the undergrowth, blood spooling from his busted arm, wondering where all the screaming and noise was coming from.

[roll0]

MechaMaestro
2015-06-26, 06:42 AM
Taking the M60 from Bambi, Toro adds the M60's firepower to the squad as they pound the treeline further. Tracer fire and 40mm grenades splash across the creekbed as the splinters of smashed trees begin to fall.

End of Turn 3

Start of Turn 4
Fire continues from the treeline.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Catching sight of Toro opening up with the M60, the VC direct their fire at his postition! He slumps over the M60, unmoving...

Bravo, finally gains his senses and realizes the blinding pain in his shoulder.

The squad can start to hear gunfire erupting from their side of the creek, on their left and right flanks. It seems as though the other squads have finally gotten into postition!

All Grunts must make a Panic Test!

cubedancer
2015-06-26, 07:40 AM
Okay let's see if I can move [roll0]

MechaMaestro
2015-06-26, 07:43 AM
Bravo is too frightened by the pain and confusion to do anything!

Cyber
2015-06-26, 09:25 AM
Condition: Still not so brave;

[roll0]
Damn... this g**ks was pretty good. Brian still was not confident enough to get under this lead shower so instead he shout to Hurtin' Hippie: "H-Herb! F*ck! Hippie! Inform Lt. how many wounded we got and what we need more medics! Sh*t, sh*t... I bet we need medical evac too!"

MechaMaestro
2015-06-26, 09:27 AM
Shigetaro is also too panicked to do anything!

All lies, Shigetaro can do things.

SlyJohnny
2015-06-26, 11:19 AM
Herb finishes bandaging Scrabble and injects a generous dose of morphine into his arm. He stares down at Bravo as the man regains conciousness.

"Sir! Don't move, sir! You're hurt pretty bad, an' you'll throw the scapula out of whack, and make yourself a tuh-tuh-target." he says, hurriedly.

Herb reaches for his aid bag again, but another round snaps dangerously close to his position and he yelps, huddling down behind the rock he's taken cover behind... he eyes Chrysler, noting the man hasn't gotten up yet, and knowing he probably needs help, but feeling powerless to risk tending to any of the injured while the fire is so heavy.

[roll0] vs fear

dream
2015-06-26, 05:04 PM
SPC4 Bravi Sülgoy
Condition: Too pissed to die

Somewhere between going insane and passing out, "Bambi" gathers his nerve! He looks up, pushing his helmet back and sees Toro cut down, the M60 falling into the high grasses. The turk begins a frantic low-crawl over to the weapon and reaching it, ants crawling and biting him all over, Sülgoy pushes the downed soldier off the weapon! "Bambi" hauls the machine gun closer, aims in the direction of enemy fire, grabs the trigger mech and squeezes HARD! The "pig" barks loud automatic hellfire in the direction of Victor Charles and "Bambi" refuses to release the trigger!

MechaMaestro
2015-06-26, 05:25 PM
As Bambi rolls Toro over, he can see that his face has been reduced to a bloody pulp. Blood leaks from bullet wounds to his upper torso, and most of the top of his head is gone. He is obviously dead. Sp4 Jordan Ramirez has become one of the over 58,000 US KIA in Vietnam.

Bambi must make a Horror Test!

SlyJohnny
2015-06-26, 06:52 PM
Herb reaches over, grabbing hold of Bravo by his uninjured arm. He pulls him over to the rock, and examines the bone fragments around his shoulder.

"I guh-gotta set this before I treat it, sir. It's gonna huh-hurt. Hurt lots. Have some morphine."

He injects some morphine into the sergeant's neck, and then, grimacing, manhandles the arm back into a more natural position. There is an audible, fleshy sort of "crack".

[roll0] medical on Bravo

Ninjaman
2015-06-26, 07:39 PM
Panic Test:
[roll0]

dream
2015-06-26, 11:46 PM
SPC4 Bravi Sülgoy
Condition: Underjoyed

"Bambi" cracked-off a few rounds with the Pig, but the image of Toro's butchered face had already started haunting him! The blood .....

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]

Ninjaman
2015-06-27, 06:33 AM
Wahoo get back up and aims his rifle at the same spot as before, unleashing fire.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Cyber
2015-06-27, 02:40 PM
Condition: Five-five-six millimeter. Full metal jacket;

Brian raised his m16 once again. After all it was time for good old fashioned revenge. And for few short bursts.

[roll0]

[roll1]

MechaMaestro
2015-06-27, 03:05 PM
The squad unleashes hell into the designated patch of fire. Grenade launcher rounds, M16 bullets and tracers from the M60 rip apart the beaten zone.

Seeing Toro's face, or what's left of hit has caused Bambi to throw up in his mouth!

"Panther Six, this is Panther One, we have multiple casualties, and we're going to need a dustoff soon, over!" Hurtin' Hippie shouts into his handset as he hunkers down next to his squad leader. He leans over and hands the headset to Shigetaro. "Six wants to speak to you!" he shouts over the gunfire.

End of Turn Four!

Beginning of Turn Five!

"Panther One, this is Six! Two and Three are in position and are hitting them on the flanks now. I want your boys to fill up every positions you think Charlie is hiding in with as much firepower as possible! Don't let 'em get away! Six out!"

Without warning, as full automatic fire erupts from across the streambed, two smoke trails fly to the squad's postition! RPGs!!!

[roll0]
[roll1]

The Rockets fly wide as bullets kick up the dirt around the squad. Somehow, no one is hit!

Make your moves!

Cyber
2015-06-27, 03:55 PM
Condition: In charge;

[Coming soon. Rolls for now.]

[roll0]

[roll1]

Ninjaman
2015-06-27, 07:08 PM
Wahoo turns and fires at the right of the suspected VC positions.

[roll0]
[roll1]

dream
2015-06-28, 10:17 AM
SPC4 Bravi Sülgoy
Condition: Horrified

Unable to think, "Bambi" simply lays down a non-stop assault of machine gunfire into the wilderness, even as RPGs explode around him!

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

SlyJohnny
2015-06-28, 06:06 PM
"Two more casualties... two more an' I'm done..."

Herb hunches over Chrysler, relieved that his training still comes so readily to mind even though all he wants to do is curl up into a ball and rock back and forth. He mumbles to himself about what he'll need to fix this casualty and why as he fishes medical items from his bag.

"Bambi! How's Toro ?" he yells across the battlefield, not seeing from his position that Toro has a hole in his face. "Is he bleeding?"

[roll0] medical on Chrysler

MechaMaestro
2015-06-29, 08:45 AM
While he doesn't successfully patch up the minor wound on Chrysler's leg, Herb does manage to help him get his senses back.

"Don't worry man, I'm fine, I'm fine!" Chrysler says before he begins firing grenades at the VC position.

Fire pours into the VC postitions.

End of Turn Five.

Start of Turn Six
There doesn't seem to be any fire coming from the VC postitions...

cubedancer
2015-06-29, 01:54 PM
Can't believe I got no shots off before those Charlie mother****ers got me. Bravo wipes tears and sweat from his pale face, shivering, despite the heat. He glances over at the hastily assembled dressing on his wounded shoulder but is too afraid to do more than that. Letting Herb do his job had been just about all he was capable of.

Ninjaman
2015-06-29, 04:41 PM
Wahoo stops firing, but keeps his gun pointed towards the vietcong position, finger still on the trigger. "Have those F***ers run off or are they waiting for us to stand up?" He shouts out.

dream
2015-06-29, 05:30 PM
SPC4 Bravi Sülgoy
Condition: Psyched

"Bambi" fires through the belt and stares into the wilderness, looking for motion that doesn't come. He crawls over to Toro and checks him over.

"I think Toro's dead. Pretty ..... sure."

Trying to stand finally, "Bambi" shrugs and pukes.

SlyJohnny
2015-06-29, 07:25 PM
"Tuh-tuh-Toro's... dead? Toro's dead."

Herb is stunned by this news. It's not fair. He did everything he was supposed to do, he ran into the gunfire, and he still didn't even get a chance to save everyone? So, what, someone can just... get shot and die? Just like that? The man was alive and talking just this morning! Christ, not five minutes ago he was still alive. It's not fair!

Herb's eyes brim with tears. He hunches down behind his rock, raising his rifle to his shoulder in something approaching a firing posture, and tries to sight any sign of the VC through his steamed-up eyeglasses.

"You ****ers! You ****ing killers!" he screams. He fires at anything moving, or anything that looks like it might. Failing that, he picks a target at random and shoots it until it does move.

Shot 1: [roll0] Shot 2: [roll1]

MechaMaestro
2015-07-01, 12:11 PM
The squad's fire pours into the VC postitions.

End of Turn Six

Turn Seven

"Cease fire! Cease fire!" The Lieutenant calls out from behind the squad.

SlyJohnny
2015-07-01, 06:02 PM
"Fuh-fuh ****, man..."

Herb is visibly shaking. He's also mumbling to himself, repetitively, going over the injuries he just cured. He breathes a sigh of relief at the temporary cessation of fire, and looks over at Chrysler.

"Hey, you're still bleeding. That's gonna get infected real buh-buh-bad, if you let it suh-sit like that. Come here, let me take a look." he says. He retrieves some more gauze and some antiseptic from his medical bag.

[roll0] medical on Chrysler's minor wound

dream
2015-07-02, 08:15 AM
SPC4 Bravi Sülgoy
Condition: still alive

"Bambi" took a deep breath and wipes his hand over his mouth. Grabbing the M60, he moved a few meters from Toro's corpse, then began inspecting the machine gun for possible barrel damage.

[roll0]

"Bambi" also checked his ammo and looked over the remnant of his squad. Anything to avoid looking at Toro.

He wanted to sing, but all Sülgoy could hear in his head was gunfire.

cubedancer
2015-07-02, 12:22 PM
Sergeant Charlie Mason
'Armless
Jungle

Bravo tries push himself into a better position by the sparse cover, leaning on his gun. He is soaked in sweat and the gun is slippery.
"What now Chappie?" He hisses. "We going to advance?" He winces, looking over at barely breathing Scrabble and tries to ignore the jolt of pain in his arm. Sickness washes over him and he heaves over the side of his boots. "Well some of us anyway," he murmurs, wiping his mouth clean and leaning back against the rocks.

Ninjaman
2015-07-03, 08:25 AM
As the fire had seemed to stop for good, Wahoo sees this as a good chance to reload his rifle. As he is loading he shouts out "What do we do next?."

dream
2015-07-05, 10:21 AM
SPC4 Bravi Sülgoy

Having greased-down the M60, "Bambi" stands finally, machine gun in tow. He stares off into the jungle, seeing what seems like miles into the distance, his eyes trying to lock-on any kind of irregular motion.

He could still see the blood. He could still hear the gunfire. He knew things would never be the same again.

"You know the best things in life are free, but you can give 'em to the birds & bees, I want money, yeah yeah yeah lots of money, child ..."

MechaMaestro
2015-07-07, 11:18 AM
"Excellent work Staff Sergeant. How many casualties are we looking at here?" The Lieutenant asks, taking a sip from his canteen. "Any requiring evacuation?

The radio crackles, reporting that the other squads have found blood trails and spent bullets, but no bodies.

cubedancer
2015-07-13, 06:58 AM
SSG Brian Shigetaro
Ready to rock and roll
The Jungle

Chappie looks over his hapless squad, acknowledging Bravo's insistence on staying with a quiet nod but saying "We lost one and got two for evac, sir. One more wounded but priority is getting to the evac zone, over."

SlyJohnny
2015-07-15, 05:53 AM
Herb is listening to the radio, and his eyes go wide in surprise when the other squads report only shell casings and bloodstains. "No bodies? Like, we didn't get any?"

Herb shakes his head.

"We lost a guy for nuh-nothin', man. This is bull****. This is such bull****." he mutters to Shigetaro.

Ninjaman
2015-07-15, 06:10 AM
"We didn't get a single VC bastard? Are they ****ing playing us?" Wahoo asks and wasabout to break his rifle on his knee before realising that was a terrible idea for a load of reasons.

cubedancer
2015-07-15, 06:52 AM
SSG Brian Shigetaro
The Jungle

"If Charlie still out there, we make the ****ers pay."

Chappie was angry and tired of cowering in the undergrowth. Giving in to despair and frustration would not help anyone. He smiled grimly at Herb. "You done good job here but we have to get moving, make Toro's life worth it." He tilted his head at Wahoo. "Wahoo we need you sharp, you get another shot at the ***** I know they're gonna be dead."

Chappie raised his voice loud enough for the squad to hear. "We cross river and make evac. Mason you know the plan, on your feet."

dream
2015-07-16, 12:10 PM
SPC4 Bravi Sülgoy

Adding another belt to the M60, "Bambi" slings the weapon into a less-then-uncomfortable position and begins marching with the others ....

cubedancer
2015-07-18, 04:04 AM
Sergeant Charlie Mason
The Jungle

"Team Bravo, with me." No more dry heaves, no more hesitation, though the pain is still felt through every reverberation that reaches his arm. Bravo's eyes scan the Jungle ahead. His thoughts flicker over lying in hospital, tended by pretty nurses in uniforms with clean, cool bedspreads. Stay with it. "Wahoo's back on point. Wahoo and Hurtin' Hippie, take the rest of my ammo. Now we take the river, get Scrabble home." Bravo eases the clip from his rifle with his left hand to offer it to the other soldiers and slings the weight of his M16 awkwardly over his good shoulder. He glances at Bambi in the rear. "Get ready to cover us Bambi."

dream
2015-07-18, 07:15 AM
SPC4 Bravi Sülgoy

"Hooyah, sergeant! I'm on it."

"Bambi" hoists the "pig" a little more level for swift deployment, if needed. His eyes cut into the surrounding terrain like twin lasers.

MechaMaestro
2015-07-18, 12:50 PM
"Alright, call in a medievac and move out to the LZ. We'll get the wounded out, then call in our pick up. Move out! The Lieutenant orders. The other grunts in the platoon are very depressed about the lack of bodies.

SlyJohnny
2015-07-21, 05:17 AM
Herb nods, and falls in, looking glum.

Ninjaman
2015-07-21, 05:32 AM
"Got it sarge." Wahoo says and picks up Charlie's remaining armo.

MechaMaestro
2015-07-31, 08:34 AM
The squad continues through the jungle, eventually reaching the planned PZ. The Lieutenant orders the platoon into a defensive posture as the dustoff arrives to airlift the dead and wounded out. Shortly there after, the Hueys arrive and return the Grunts back to Camp Radcliff.

All the Grunts who survived the mission reduce their panic score by 2!

(Sorry for the lack of posting, and the abrupt ending to the mission, but I feel like this one has been dragging on for too long.)