PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Monk/sorcerer help for new player

Polaris
2015-06-11, 02:21 PM
I'm fairly new to dungeons and dragons and I will be playing in a high powered gestalt style game soon. I have chosen to be a monk/sorcerer for my first level. My race is Vanara from the oriental adventures book and even though dragon magazine updated the race and took away their racial bonuses for 3.5 my gm is letting me keep them. The ability scores I chose from rolling dice with racial modifiers added are str 16, dex 15, con 13, wis 15, int 14, cha 15. I was just wondering what sorts of skills I should choose I already plan on putting ranks in climb, jump, and balance with the help of racial modifiers. Also what sort of spells should I look at using, as well as any other advice? Thank you in advance.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-06-11, 03:05 PM
I'm fairly new to dungeons and dragons and I will be playing in a high powered gestalt style game soon. I have chosen to be a monk/sorcerer for my first level. My race is Vanara from the oriental adventures book and even though dragon magazine updated the race and took away their racial bonuses for 3.5 my gm is letting me keep them. The ability scores I chose from rolling dice with racial modifiers added are str 16, dex 15, con 13, wis 15, int 14, cha 15. I was just wondering what sorts of skills I should choose I already plan on putting ranks in climb, jump, and balance with the help of racial modifiers. Also what sort of spells should I look at using, as well as any other advice? Thank you in advance.

In a high-powered game, sorcerer is going to be the dominant side of your build, while the monk provides some defence and mobility. Pick up the usual caster skills: concentration, spellcraft, 5 ranks in knowledge(arcana) for the synergy bonus. Also, take a look at what prestige classes you would like to enter, and start buying skill ranks to meet the prerequisites.

The monk is, I am compelled to add, a class that is 'two levels long' (sorcerer is six levels long - to be fair, most classes are like that). I'd suggest switching to paladin for two levels, after two levels in monk, and a level in marshal is good, too. The Ascetic Mage feat allows you to use charisma, instead of wisdom, for the monk's AC bonus.