PDA

View Full Version : Attempting to try Fallout 3

Togath
2015-06-11, 09:37 PM
I got fallout 3 about a week ago and finally went to try it...
And... Nothing happens after clicking "play" on the launcher.
Anyone here have advice?
I'm using windows 8, which from my understanding has issues... But I can't find any solutions to make it run so far(or may be doing them incorrectly? I'm not good with computers)

Dhavaer
2015-06-11, 09:59 PM
Do you have the Nexus Mod Manager? Maybe try launching it through that, and see if you at least get an error message.

Antonok
2015-06-11, 10:11 PM
Try this:

1: Click Desktop tile from the Start screen to go to the desktop window.
2: Once on the desktop screen, click File Explorer icon from the taskbar.
3: On the opened Libraries window, navigate to My Documents\My Games\Fallout3 location.
4: On the opened folder, double-click to open Fallout.ini file.
5: On the opened Fallout.ini file, find buseThreadedAI=0 line.
6: Change its value 0 to 1. (for example buseThreadedAI=1)
7: Insert another line after it, and type iNumHWThreads=2.
8: If the problem still persists, change the value of INumHWthreads=2 to 1.

Once done, save the file and restart the game.

Note with steam and fallout, any changes you make to the .ini file needs to have the read only checked in properties or steam will revert them :smallfrown:

veti
2015-06-11, 10:27 PM
I had exactly the same experience, about a week ago.

The answer (for me) was: it requires a .dll file associated with 'Games for Windows Live', which is not included by default in Windows 8. The solution (which worked for me) is as described here (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-winapps/ordinal-42-xlivedll/1324c095-c56c-48ce-9bdf-699237c3d471).

Togath
2015-06-12, 10:17 AM
Do you have the Nexus Mod Manager? Maybe try launching it through that, and see if you at least get an error message.

It wont run enough to use the mod manager.

Try this:

1: Click Desktop tile from the Start screen to go to the desktop window.
2: Once on the desktop screen, click File Explorer icon from the taskbar.
3: On the opened Libraries window, navigate to My Documents\My Games\Fallout3 location.
4: On the opened folder, double-click to open Fallout.ini file.
5: On the opened Fallout.ini file, find buseThreadedAI=0 line.
6: Change its value 0 to 1. (for example buseThreadedAI=1)
7: Insert another line after it, and type iNumHWThreads=2.
8: If the problem still persists, change the value of INumHWthreads=2 to 1.

Once done, save the file and restart the game.

Note with steam and fallout, any changes you make to the .ini file needs to have the read only checked in properties or steam will revert them :smallfrown:

There is no .ini file.

I had exactly the same experience, about a week ago.

The answer (for me) was: it requires a .dll file associated with 'Games for Windows Live', which is not included by default in Windows 8. The solution (which worked for me) is as described here (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-winapps/ordinal-42-xlivedll/1324c095-c56c-48ce-9bdf-699237c3d471).

Trying to install that gives me a weird "this program has compatibility issues" warning. Any idea what I should do?