PDA

View Full Version : Pandakin

Threeshades
2007-04-25, 05:34 AM
After my thread looking for a suitable race that i can make Pandas of (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2473363) turned out few results, I decided to work up my own set of rules for them. I decided to call my race Pandakin, because I like the sound of the word "kin" and Pandafolk seemed a little unoriginal to me and I didnt want to use anything that has been already used, like Pandaren.
I tried to make them have a very Panda typical behavior and to show that in the rules:

So here they come:

Pandakin, Middle-sized Monstrous humanoid
Base land speed: 30 ft.
Abilities: Str +2; Wis +2; Dex -2; CH -2; Pandakin are physically strong and very thought- and careful, but they appear slightly clumsy and are reclusive indivduals.
Low-light vision
Natural armor bonus +1: due to their thick fur and tough skin, Pandakin recieve a +1 natural armor bonus
Skills: Pandakin recieve a +4 racial bonus on climb checks.
Languages: Automatic Languages: Pandakin, Common; Bonus Languages: Gnoll, Elven, Halfling, Sylvan, Kara-Tur (i dont know what's the main Language in Kara-Tur called. Also if Kara-Tur is not the Chinese/Japanese equivalent in your game world, replace this with the appropriate language)
Favored class: Ranger. Pandakin are loners usually bonded to their homes nature, so they often follow the path of te Ranger, which suits their lifestyle the most.
Height and Weight: Pandakin are tall and sturdy. They don't show many diversities between males and females. Use the Haight and Weitght table for male Half-Orcs for both male and female Pandakin.
Age: Pandakin have a slow progression in life and can get very old. Use the age categories for Dwarves.

So what do you think, is it still over/underpowered?

Maryring
2007-04-25, 05:43 AM
I think it is slightly overpowered. Give them one more drawback for the natural armour, and they'll be fine.

Theodoxus
2007-04-25, 07:14 AM
I think they're just fine - favored class Ranger with a hit to Dex means they're not going to be optimal archers... They have on real skill bonuses - climb makes sense, but it certainly isn't overpowering - a lack of other more useful skill bonuses (like the perception set) makes up for the +1 NA. The attribute adjustments balance out nicely - though at first I was confused by the Cha hit... Panda's seem so cute and cuddly, they should get a boost - everyone wants to be their friend... but only at first - once they get to know the reclusive beasts, the -2 Cha would make sense ;)

The only thing I would think to do (to eliminate potential criticism) would be to go the way that link for the Pandaren in the other thread had: 20 ft speed with the ability to 'go on all fours' for +10. That would certainly alleviate fears for the NA (might even possibly boost it to +2) It would retain flavor of the Panda (typically methodical in their movement), still allow 'normal' movement rate for overland travel (nice for your partymates), yet keep the Pandakin safely within the +0 LA arena.

All in all, not a bad writeup... Would consider playing one as a druid, myself :)

Theo

Threeshades
2007-04-25, 07:58 AM
The movement rate is a nice idea. but the moving on all fours, kind of throws them back into being animals too much (Catfolk, Gnolls and such also dont move on all four). While a 20ft movement rate is worse for the party than for the character himself.

Well the fact is pandas are slow in movement after all, so it might be suitable though.

Jaykell
2007-04-25, 08:04 AM
Awesome! Ive always wanted to play a panda race and this one is a really well balanced one

Threeshades
2007-04-25, 10:07 AM
I just made a little drawing of a Pandakin in size comparison with a /very sketchy) human samurai. The human turned a little bit small, but he's an asian after all, and asians tend to be smaller than caucasians for example, so I guess its okay.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Tobi-Sean/pandakin2.jpg

This is about what i had in mind for them to look like (that sword the panda has would then beconsidered a Greatsword)

PS: It appeared to me, Pandakin sounds like Anakin.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-25, 10:42 AM
you are aware that the Padaren was published in the WoW game manuels, just thought i would bring that to your attention ThreeShades. But the race looks fine IMO, not to stong, not to weak. I would even replace Half Orc with these

Threeshades
2007-04-25, 10:52 AM
you are aware that the Padaren was published in the WoW game manuels, just thought i would bring that to your attention ThreeShades. But the race looks fine IMO, not to stong, not to weak. I would even replace Half Orc with these

absolutely and 100% aware, but the pandaren rules just dont fit into my image of a Panda-folk.
they shouldn't have a climb speed, they are not entire bears anymore. An altered physique makes them worse blimbers than real pandas. Also they shouldnt have any racial weapon proficiencies, i think of them as a peaceful race, and the natural wepons also were too much.

So I made something i thought more suitable.

Matthew
2007-05-05, 06:49 AM
Whilst I am not a big fan off this sort of thing, I have to say that is a very good drawing. I guess you are playing 3.0 if you consider the Panda Kin's weapon to be a Great Sword? In 3.5 it would be a Large Bastard Sword (or a Large Long Sword if, like me, you felt that better modelled a Katana...)

Caelestion
2007-05-05, 07:18 AM
Large masterwork bastard sword :)

Maryring
2007-05-05, 10:13 AM
That picture there is incredibly neat. You're a good drawer.

cferejohn
2007-05-05, 08:31 PM
You forgot: Must spend 20 hours a day eating bamboo.

brian c
2007-05-05, 08:43 PM
You forgot: Must spend 20 hours a day eating bamboo.

Meh, that would be like if Catfolk had: Must spend 20 hours a day sleeping. (You were joking though, I assume :smallwink: )

It's pretty cool, and I agree they should have a lower movement speed to 20'. Pandas just aren't that quick, and it would also keep it as a definitely LA +0

Threeshades
2007-05-05, 08:44 PM
Whilst I am not a big fan off this sort of thing, I have to say that is a very good drawing. I guess you are playing 3.0 if you consider the Panda Kin's weapon to be a Great Sword? In 3.5 it would be a Large Bastard Sword (or a Large Long Sword if, like me, you felt that better modelled a Katana...)

they're still medium sized. the comparing human just turned out a little too small.

@cferejohn
Catfolk also dont have to lick themselves and choke up hairballs

@Maryring
Thanks a lot!

Matthew
2007-05-05, 09:29 PM
Oh right. I just assumed they were Large, like Minotaurs. Hmmn. At the least they should have Powerful Build, I think, but I guess that would saddle them with LA, which you probably don't want. Actually, I think a creature like this probably ought to have LA more than +0.

brian c
2007-05-05, 09:39 PM
Oh right. I just assumed they were Large, like Minotaurs. Hmmn. At the least they should have Powerful Build, I think, but I guess that would saddle them with LA, which you probably don't want. Actually, I think a creature like this probably ought to have LA more than +0.

If you give it Powerful Build, it's definitely LA +1. As is, it's borderline. With speed 20', it should be LA +0

Caelestion
2007-05-06, 05:54 AM
Balanced and minor stat boosts/penalties, natural armour +1, lowlight vision and a +4 Climb bonus, with a fixed favoured class. Of course that's LA +0. Let's not caught in the goblinoid trap here.