PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Let's Make a Character! The Witch Doctor

Stormthroe
2015-06-12, 09:37 AM
Hello there all!

Creating characters is something of a hobby of mine (as with most of us) and I always like to make unique, interesting characters to use in my games. I have a wide variety of characters I like to use, however, every once in a while I get a little stuck in my character building when I have a theme I want to follow, but can't seem to find a direction.

I am currently in one of these conundrums; I am a huge fan of Diablo 3, and I set to making a character in the theme of the witch doctor player class from that game, mixed somewhat with the unique blend of Lousiana Hoodoo present by Doctor Facilier from The Princess and the Frog. A few of my ideas involved being a Path of the Land (swamp) druid multi-classed into wizard for necromancy, a Great Old One Path of the Tome Warlock, or just a wizard, however, with all the options I got a bit overwhelmed in the concept and put myself at an impasse.

My question to each of you is what class would best fit the theme I'm going for? How best do you think this character could be presented?

Added note, I do play using adventurer's league rules most of the time at my local club, so this is why I'm not simply homebrewing anything here.

Ralanr
2015-06-12, 09:54 AM
I think straight wizard or straight nature cleric, or even a combination of the two might work wonders.

Stormthroe
2015-06-12, 12:51 PM
I had thought of using a death-domain cleric as my base; however, I'm hesitant given that cleric spells, even death domain, are not oriented towards the poison and hexing that the witch doctor would need.

Ralanr
2015-06-12, 12:54 PM
I had thought of using a death-domain cleric as my base; however, I'm hesitant given that cleric spells, even death domain, are not oriented towards the poison and hexing that the witch doctor would need.

Trickery would like a word with you.

Stormthroe
2015-06-12, 01:54 PM
What's your logic? Most clerics, even with light armor, become more blasters than anything else. Very little Witch Doctor-y goodness; and certainly none of the shadowmancy or undead servants/fetishes we see in hollywood Voodoo flicks.

Only reason I ask is because I was looking for input on why as well as what, to really capture the feel of such a character! Dr. Facilier, Zunimassa, the Spirit of Jazz, all that mate.

Ralanr
2015-06-12, 02:04 PM
What's your logic? Most clerics, even with light armor, become more blasters than anything else. Very little Witch Doctor-y goodness; and certainly none of the shadowmancy or undead servants/fetishes we see in hollywood Voodoo flicks.

Only reason I ask is because I was looking for input on why as well as what, to really capture the feel of such a character! Dr. Facilier, Zunimassa, the Spirit of Jazz, all that mate.

I'm not saying trickiery is what you want. Trickiery just has poison which you said clerics did not have.

Honestly a wizard/Druid with a penchant for swarms might work.

MrStabby
2015-06-12, 02:10 PM
Maybe a bard? A bit of hexing, a bit of healing, magical secrets will get you undead minions...

Stormthroe
2015-06-12, 04:20 PM
I had looked at using a bard, using a bone rattle as the instrument (given DM discretion of course.) Now that you mention it, the bard may be the best fit considering the versatility of the class. Thanks mate!

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I can of course reflavor any spell to be a certain effect that's voodoo-esque. Its getting the actual spells that have the same effect as witch doctor magic that's the trick.

Xetheral
2015-06-12, 07:53 PM
I had looked at using a bard, using a bone rattle as the instrument (given DM discretion of course.) Now that you mention it, the bard may be the best fit considering the versatility of the class. Thanks mate!

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I can of course reflavor any spell to be a certain effect that's voodoo-esque. Its getting the actual spells that have the same effect as witch doctor magic that's the trick.

Lore Bard and Warlock combo relatively well. Any Pact works... Chain for another minion, Tome for more out-of-class spell stealing, or Blade for extra attacks with the rattle (potentially using a magical secret on shillelagh for charisma-based rattle-wacking). You could skip Eldritch Blast and go for the more flavorful invocations, or refluff eldritch blast as a swarm of howling souls.

Stormthroe
2015-06-12, 08:25 PM
An excellent idea!

No, I had planned to reflavor all spells to suit the witch doctor style. I like path of the chain for the minion in the form of the crawling hand; I was gonna have the Witch Doctor keep a desiccated hand tied to his belt for this very purpose. Thought it was cool story there XD

Ok guys, I've decided on Lore Bard/Chain Warlock combo as the combo. Thanks a million, see you next time on let's make a character!

I can always post up the character here once I'm finished as well, just to fill y'all in.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-13, 11:26 AM
Witch Doctor, it sounds like a cleric.
But you'll come away with every full spellcaster and with a paladin.

Stormthroe
2015-06-13, 11:48 AM
I could reflavor any character to anything, I was just looking for something unique to play and wasn't sure how best to capture it!

I have a cleric based on the warrior priest from warhammer; runs around, swinging mauls and smashing people. Good times, but I wanted to turn away from the cleric feel because, well..I played Mathias there for 7 levels before he croaked out. That was where this character came in.

I decided on running him warlock to start. Once he hits level 3, I plan to move him across to bard and let him build from there.

Paeleus
2015-06-13, 12:47 PM
There is a homebrew shaman out there that seems legit (http://m.imgur.com/a/IIq0D). Go revenge route. Take Magic Initiate feat for hex. Mayhaps that will suffice?