PDA

View Full Version : Shapechange forms [3.5]

Bad Wolf
2015-06-12, 01:39 PM
So due to two levels of Binder and a bet, I only have one ninth level spell at ECL 20th. Naturally, I picked Shapechange. But I need forms with good spell like abilities.

I've got Titan for Gate, Meteor Swarm, Summon Nature's Ally IX, plus a whole bunch of others, Tulani (spelling?) for Time Stop, and Zodar for Wish.

I'm still looking for more though, and any you can find for me would be a great help.

jiriku
2015-06-12, 01:49 PM
It's supernatural, not spell-like, but beholder for the anti-magic cone and at-will disintigrate is useful in a lot of circumstances.

Hiro Quester
2015-06-12, 01:51 PM
My previous character, a Bard Sublime chord learned shapechange as one of his two 9th level spells. It's a very fun spell to play with.

I didn't get to use it much before the campaign ended. But I found this list (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3689.0) of the monster manual's Su abilities very useful in planning forms for different uses.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-12, 02:20 PM
I am going to misspell this, but Chronotyryn gives bonus actions among other goodies.

Mr Adventurer
2015-06-12, 02:22 PM
Rust Monster when you come up against adamantium doors

Brova
2015-06-12, 03:03 PM
shapechange is a fantastically good spell. The first thing you should note is that while you acquire extraordinary and supernatural abilities when changing into a form, you only lose supernatural abilities when leaving a form. So the first thing you should do with shapechange upon casting it is change into a zodar (acquiring immunity to non-bludgeoning physical damage) and then an ocean giant (acquiring immunity to bludgeoning damage). Congratulations on your immunity to physical attacks. You can repeat the same trick on two creatures with incomplete immunity to magic (such as the iron and stone golems, which conveniently do not berserk), any number of creatures with energy immunity, and creatures with various rends, rakes, rages, or constricts.

There's a web article somewhere that indicates that you're actually only supposed to lose abilities which depend on gross physical traits your new form doesn't have (i.e. no gaze attack as an ooze), not whether they are supernatural or not. So you could (if you can find that article and convince your DM to run with it) stack immunity to everything along with choker and chronotyryn extra actions. It has the disadvantage of potentially nerfing the zodar trick if your DM doesn't allow acquiring the ability to reset uses.

The Viscount
2015-06-15, 02:05 PM
The Spellweaver can cast several spells in a single round.

Elemental Weirds have powerful Div abilities, some as free actions.

Segev
2015-06-15, 02:28 PM
If you have a familiar, don't forget that he can share your shapechange spell(s), too!

Kraken
2015-06-16, 04:21 AM
If you have a familiar, don't forget that he can share your shapechange spell(s), too!

Seconding this in conjunction with chronotyryn. Have your familiar firing off items with its two full round actions.

Vaz
2015-06-16, 06:02 AM
As a Binder, I'm guessing that Charisma and skills based off that are available in your build? If you are a Charisma based caster, how about passing all cha skill tests all the time and bypassing saves, and Diamond Mind Maneuvres?

Visilights can do this from MM3. They can Grapple opponents, drain charisma and then add that Charisma to themselves.