PDA

View Full Version : Need help with creating a character

ignayshus
2015-06-12, 03:36 PM
Not really gunning for combat optimization, but being useful is preferred.

My character has incontrovertible proof that something Cthulu-ish is going to bring about the end of days plunging the world into eternal darkness anywhere between now and the next few years. He just can't show it to you. Sadly he's the only one that's had this epiphany, but he's absolutely committed to preventing this disaster at all costs.

Really quite amiable most of the time, he can be downright obsessive and pushy if necessary. He's also pretty guarded about his past.

His goal is a three pronged approach:
1. Develop powerful business ties to powerful regional players and royalty to exert influence and cooperation.
2. Develop if possible a super soldier like serum to allow humanity a fighting chance against the horrors to come.
3. Learn as much as possible about the occult and interrupt the activities of cultists believed to possibly be machinating the future he has seen.

Guild Merchant seems an obvious background and use my money to begin an apothecary based empire or maybe a quasi religion around this event?

I'm thinking a Half-Elf Lore Bard, maybe with a 1 level dip into Kn. Cleric and Rogue each (maybe 2 into rogue).

I start at level 3, though I'm not sure how much wealth that means I start with or the best way to go about starting a business in 5e.

How would you go about this?

ChubbyRain
2015-06-13, 06:31 PM
Not really gunning for combat optimization, but being useful is preferred.

My character has incontrovertible proof that something Cthulu-ish is going to bring about the end of days plunging the world into eternal darkness anywhere between now and the next few years. He just can't show it to you. Sadly he's the only one that's had this epiphany, but he's absolutely committed to preventing this disaster at all costs.

Really quite amiable most of the time, he can be downright obsessive and pushy if necessary. He's also pretty guarded about his past.

His goal is a three pronged approach:
1. Develop powerful business ties to powerful regional players and royalty to exert influence and cooperation.
2. Develop if possible a super soldier like serum to allow humanity a fighting chance against the horrors to come.
3. Learn as much as possible about the occult and interrupt the activities of cultists believed to possibly be machinating the future he has seen.

Guild Merchant seems an obvious background and use my money to begin an apothecary based empire or maybe a quasi religion around this event?

I'm thinking a Half-Elf Lore Bard, maybe with a 1 level dip into Kn. Cleric and Rogue each (maybe 2 into rogue).

I start at level 3, though I'm not sure how much wealth that means I start with or the best way to go about starting a business in 5e.

How would you go about this?

Guild Merchant Half-Elf Great Old One Chain/Tome Pact Warlock

The GOO is giving the warlock powers and advice and subtly telling him X will happen. However the GOO wants Y to happen and is feeding the warlock false info.

Edit

Build

Str: 10
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 12
Cha: 16

Just smart and wise enough to figure out something is going on but not quite enough to figure it all out.

Skills: Arcana, History, Investigation, Religion, Insight, and Persuasion.

Thinks that he is insightful enough to know if GOO is lying (wrong) and thinks he is persuasive enough to get the better end of the deal with GOO (wrong).

Mask of Many Faces and Misty Visions Invocations will allow you to sneak into too secret place to get what you need (info or items). Your familiar (Chain Pact) can alp help with this.

Level 4: Skilled Feat (Acrobatics, Stealth, and Medicine)
Level 8: Cha Boost
Level 12: Cha Boost
Level 16: Dex Boost
Level 19: Dex Boost

Edit 2

Alternatively I like the Tomelock for this. Just pick up the ritual find familiar to help with scouting.

Pick up some really nice Cha based canrrips from any list.

ignayshus
2015-06-15, 04:12 PM
Interesting, I like the idea of using the warlock pact as his reason for "knowing" about the event.

Ruslan
2015-06-15, 05:23 PM
But why would the GOO Warlock oppose the horrors to come? If anything, he would embrace them. Oh, here's an idea: double agent :smallbiggrin:

ignayshus
2015-06-16, 03:39 PM
But for whom?

Yagyujubei
2015-06-16, 03:52 PM
just use the GOO chassis and swap it out to say you got your power from an elder god instead of a great old one. would be the perfect way to play, since the elder gods are directly opposed to the GOOs, but they aren't "good" per se so you could still act in a morally grey area.

1st one is easily achieved. take beguiling influence and use it in tendem with awakened mind and that would be great RP fluff to facilitate your ability to get in with people of influence using " mysterious and somewhat nefarious" methods

2nd one would be easy, create a custom background like "mad alchemist" or something that gives you proficiency in nature and arcane, and alchemy tools/poisoners kit. thats a bit more than your average background offers, but is by no means OP and if it fit the character you were trying to play I would personally allow it.

the 3rd one takes care of itself really if you have the whispers of an elder god in your mind, they would be able to point you towards many secrets and insights you otherwise would likely never notice.

I would seriously recommend warlock here, they feel the most lovecraftian by far already, and if you put a kinda steam punk arcane/science spin on it you could get a really cool flavor to your character.

KorvinStarmast
2015-06-16, 04:34 PM
I would seriously recommend warlock here, they feel the most lovecraftian by far already, and if you put a kinda steam punk arcane/science spin on it you could get a really cool flavor to your character.

This. Two thumbs up.

Ardantis
2015-06-16, 05:01 PM
Bear in mind that you are by no means required to agree with or support your patron. An ancestor of a fiend who decides to be good, a mortal unwittingly influenced by a GOO who opposes its insane plans, a stooge being toyed with by the fey for amusement.

I would also reccomend the Outlander background because one of the character bonds is about seeing visions of disaster and being committed to stopping them from occurring.

Anderlith
2015-06-16, 05:04 PM
I say take the Hermit's "Discovery" instead of the Merchant Guild Background.
Then play a Warlock GOO

ignayshus
2015-06-16, 05:14 PM
Beguiling Influence doesn't give expertise or advantage does it?

Ruslan
2015-06-16, 05:51 PM
Beguiling Influence doesn't give expertise or advantage does it?Alas, just proficiency.