PDA

View Full Version : World Help Night Sky Software-Anybody know of any?

Jendekit
2015-06-12, 07:22 PM
I'm not 100% sure this is the right forum, but it's for world-building so I'm sticking it here.

One of the groups of people in a world I am building have astronomy as one of the most important parts of their culture. Ideally, I'd like a software program that I could use to map out the constellations that these people would use to either navigate or record history: "The stars don't tell the future...they tell stories."

Does anyone know of any software that fits what I'm looking for?

the_david
2015-06-15, 03:04 PM
I know of a mediocre calender generator on Donjon. Can't help you any further beyond that, I'm afraid.

Though honestly, maybe you could start by making a calender or by making a list of celestial bodies and events that have some significance in your setting. Things like the equinoxes and the solstices, night of the eye, that sort of thing...

Roxxy
2015-06-15, 04:34 PM
Aye, that I do. Cosmographer (https://secure.profantasy.com/products/cos3.asp) is designed to do specifically what you are trying to do. I'll warn you, though. It is an add on for Campaign Cartographer 3, which is a derivative of professional GIS software, and therefore has a massive learning curve. It takes a lot of persistence to figure out how to use it. It also doesn't come cheap. Campaign Cartographer 3 is $40 USD at the lowest, and you need it in order to run Cosmographer, which will set you back another $40 USD. So, it comes down to whether $80 USD and a lot of time and effort spent learning a difficult (though incredibly powerful) software package is worth it to you.