PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help me fix up this dungeon

Azreal
2015-06-12, 08:56 PM
I'm building a dungeon around the theme of Air Elementals, a Djinn is pulling all the strings to test his "son" one of the players. I have a party of 4 a Pact of the Blade/Fey Warlock, an Artificer Wizard, Lore Bard, and a Battle Master Fighter all level 3.
Once they arrive to the city, they will be told that there's a permanent cyclone in the desert that the air elementals are coming from but no one has been able to get through the wind.
If they can't find a way on their own to get through the Cyclone, I have a back up to get them in there.

In the area itself I was gonna do reworked ruins, but I'm not sure how to reflavor them to feel extraplanar. The enemies themselves will be Aarakocra and mephits and a single invisible stalker.

Anyone have any suggestions for setting it up past my basic concept?

Inevitability
2015-06-13, 03:01 AM
Maybe have the 'cyclone' be a dimensional rift to the Plane of Air? It would let the players have some extraplanar adventures without being subject to the horrors of the less hospitable planes. At the same time, subjective gravity can get a lot of fun.

The 'ruins' would be various rocky islands, most of it recently sucked into the plane through the rift. Maybe the players can still encounter desert creatures on some of them?

Azreal
2015-06-13, 02:49 PM
Maybe not subjective but objective gravity, though I'm unsure about having them be in the Plane of Air.

Easy_Lee
2015-06-13, 03:01 PM
There's a lot to be done with an air dungeon. Some ideas:

Lots of air currents causing strength saves to avoid being blown away.
Travel via air currents, explosive bursts of air, flying carpets, etc.
Cloud cover
Whole thing is high in the sky and gives a sense of constant vertigo. CON save to avoid being so scares of falling that you reduce your own speed by 10 or so.