PDA

View Full Version : [Item] Main Gauche

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-25, 11:31 AM
This long, broad-bladed masterwork dagger can be used as a shield when wielded as an off-hand weapon by someone with martial weapon proficiency or shield proficiency, granting +1 shield bonus, -0 check penalty, and 0% arcane spell failure chance. If the wielder has the Two-Weapon Defense feat as well as martial weapon or shield proficiency, then using the main gauche as a shield increases the shield bonus provided by that feat by 1. It can be enhanced as if it were a shield.

Amotis
2007-04-25, 11:34 AM
Doesn't this already exist or was that 3.0?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-25, 11:36 AM
If it does, I was totally unaware of it. Obviously.

Amotis
2007-04-25, 11:38 AM
At school right now but I think maybe, I may be wrong, in those thin specialized books. Song And Silence, Sword and Fist, etc etc. It acting as a masterwork buckler sounds very familiar.

edito - or maybe that dragon mag issue with the parry feats. I know these are outdated or unofficial, but I'm just pointing it out.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-25, 11:40 AM
There was something close to a Main Gauche in Arms & Equipment. It gave extra bonus to AC when fighting defensively. I'll see if I can find it...

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-26, 08:23 PM
Found anything?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-02, 07:07 PM
Veni, vidi, offensi.

Magnor Criol
2007-05-02, 08:15 PM
Nope, nothing in A&E about it. There's a stiletto shield, a shield which grants an attack but isn't at all like a main gauche; there's a triple dagger, which is held like a shield in the offhand and doesn't incur penalties when you hold it as such, but it only provides bonuses to disarm, not defense.
I do vaguely recall seeing a main gauche somewhere, but I can't recall any details....could just be me.
All that aside, the weapon looks good to me. When not used as a shield, are the stats as a normal masterwork dagger?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-02, 08:23 PM
Correct. That causes one to lose the shield bonus until you start using it as a shield again, or unless you have the Improved Shield Bash feat.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-05-02, 09:15 PM
The Main Gauche is a mainstay of swashbuckler fiction... I wonder why it never appeared in any "official" source...

Maldraugedhen
2007-05-02, 10:39 PM
Heck, you might even say it's like a fencer's off hand!

...Wait.