PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Which rarity would this weapon be?

Groggen
2015-06-13, 02:50 AM
Hi. I've tailored a staff for a druid in a game I'm running, but I'm not sure when, or even if, he should get it. Any feedback on the power level would be greatly appreciated.

Staff:
The staff has the ability to once per day call forth a Guardian of the Forest.
When you take this action, roll a d6:

1-2: You hear a stifled giggle just before a faerie dragon reveals himself from his invisible state. Then, with what looks like a wicked grin, it exhales a puff of gas at a creature you choose. The target must succeed on a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw, or for 1 minute, the target can't take reactions and must roll a d6 at the start of each of its turns to determine its behavior during the turn:
1-4. The target takes no action or bonus action and uses all of its movement to move in a random direction.
5- 6. The target doesn't move, and the only thing it can do on its turn is make a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success.

3-4: You hear the thunder of hooves a way off, then you notice a shimmer in the air where the noise is coming from. Gradually the shimmer becomes more and more solid and transforms into the shape of a large elk at full speed. The elk charges a creature you choose, ramming into it at high speed. If the attack is successful and the target is knocked prone in addition, the elk rears up on its hind legs and stomps the target ferociously with the bludgeoning force of its front hooves.
Ram: +6 to hit, 4d6+4 bludgeoning damage. The target must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
Stomp: +6 to hit, 4d8+4 bludgeoning damage.

5-6: The soft sound of leaves rustling in the breeze fills your ears. A phantom in the form of a dryad silently steps up beside a creature you choose, and with a touch as gentle as morning dew she lays a hand on the target's heart and softly whispers three words in sylvan. Another phantom of the same shape emerges from thin air beside another creature you choose and mimics the action. Having fulfilled their obligation, they both run off while a warm laughter rings in the air before they fade into mist.
Sylvan touch: Each target creature regains 2d8+4 hit points.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-13, 02:58 AM
It's once/day and you don't control what it does. It's got to be uncommon. Maybe level 5 or 6?

Groggen
2015-06-13, 10:40 AM
It's once/day and you don't control what it does. It's got to be uncommon. Maybe level 5 or 6?

Thanks. I was aiming for giving it somewhere between levels 5 and 7, so that works out nicely then :)

Appreciate it.

PoeticDwarf
2015-06-13, 10:58 AM
Uncommon or rare. Around lv. 6 is good possible. The effects aren't weak but at highter levels not so strong either.

Groggen
2015-06-13, 12:36 PM
Uncommon or rare. Around lv. 6 is good possible. The effects aren't weak but at highter levels not so strong either.

That's good. I want it to be functional of course, but the fluff or flavour is what I was aiming for primarily, so as long as it will be used from time to time, while not breaking anything, that's perfect :)

Twelvetrees
2015-06-15, 10:39 AM
1-2: You hear a stifled giggle just before a faerie dragon reveals himself from his invisible state. Then, with what looks like a wicked grin, it exhales a puff of gas at a creature you choose. The target must succeed on a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw, or for 1 minute, the target can't take reactions and must roll a d6 at the start of each of its turns to determine its behavior during the turn:
1-4. The target takes no action or bonus action and uses all of its movement to move in a random direction.
5- 6. The target doesn't move, and the only thing it can do on its turn is make a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success.

I would suggest making the 1-4 result give the target a saving throw at the end of each of its turns as well. Most ongoing effects in 5e have this, so not having it makes this possible to abuse. The randomness mitigates it some, but it doesn't get rid of the problem entirely.

Other than that, I really like it. The level range others have suggested seems appropriate.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-15, 12:10 PM
I would suggest making the 1-4 result give the target a saving throw at the end of each of its turns as well. Most ongoing effects in 5e have this, so not having it makes this possible to abuse. The randomness mitigates it some, but it doesn't get rid of the problem entirely.

Other than that, I really like it. The level range others have suggested seems appropriate.

That effect is verbatim from the MM. It's called Euphoria Gas, and you need to roll 5+ to get a save. That's intentional, as far as I'm concerned.