PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Questions about Psion Uncarnate - D&D 3.5

wagnerloeher
2015-06-13, 02:52 AM
So I'm researching the Expanded Psionics 3.5, very nice book and I'm willing to go Psion Uncarnate, but some questions arose and neither me, nor the DM found answers for it. Please let me know if you can answer and where you found these answers:

1) Does a Psion Uncarnate that achieved level 10 on the prestige class (effectively becoming incorporeal subtype) receive the negative effects of age? It's logical to assume it would receive the benefits of old age, but without a body would it still get -6 to Str, Dex and Con? And would it have a limited lifespan or would it live forever?

2) If the Psion Uncarnate use the Mind Switch power (Expanded Psionics page 119 and 120), that effectively trade body with the target, would the target: a) become incorporeal; b) die (cause he would trade for a "non-body"); c) keep inside its body, but without control over it. And would the Psion Uncarnate be able to just Uncarnate again?

This created an unwilling "I hope not-combo". Think of this: I'm uncarnate and use mindswitch on a person. now this person is uncarnate and i have a body. Then I use Uncarnate (becoming incorporeal again), now we are both incorporeal!? PERMANENTLY?! "I hope not". Then what would happen?

p.s: is there any power that allow a more effective "possession" of bodies by a Psion Uncarnate?
Thank you.

frogglesmash
2015-06-13, 03:18 AM
1) By RAW you would receive all the standard penalties and bonuses for aging because nowhere in does it say that a psion uncarnate doesn't suffer them.
2)Mind switch would function as normal i.e. you and the target trade bodies, the only difference being that your body is incorporeal. There is a chance that since your incorporeality is a class feature your body would become corporeal for the duration of the mind switch while the new body would become incorporeal though I am a little iffy on that one.

As for a more effective version of possession, the best I could think of on short notice is occupying the opponents space (assuming that you are incorporeal of course) and using either psionic dominate or control body. Either that or convince your DM to make a psionic equivalent of magic jar assuming one doesn't already exist.

Venger
2015-06-13, 04:36 AM
So I'm researching the Expanded Psionics 3.5, very nice book and I'm willing to go Psion Uncarnate, but some questions arose and neither me, nor the DM found answers for it. Please let me know if you can answer and where you found these answers:

1) Does a Psion Uncarnate that achieved level 10 on the prestige class (effectively becoming incorporeal subtype) receive the negative effects of age? It's logical to assume it would receive the benefits of old age, but without a body would it still get -6 to Str, Dex and Con? And would it have a limited lifespan or would it live forever?

2) If the Psion Uncarnate use the Mind Switch power (Expanded Psionics page 119 and 120), that effectively trade body with the target, would the target: a) become incorporeal; b) die (cause he would trade for a "non-body"); c) keep inside its body, but without control over it. And would the Psion Uncarnate be able to just Uncarnate again?

This created an unwilling "I hope not-combo". Think of this: I'm uncarnate and use mindswitch on a person. now this person is uncarnate and i have a body. Then I use Uncarnate (becoming incorporeal again), now we are both incorporeal!? PERMANENTLY?! "I hope not". Then what would happen?

p.s: is there any power that allow a more effective "possession" of bodies by a Psion Uncarnate?
Thank you.

1) Yes.

2) a) no. uncarnate is a class ability. your target does not receive it
b) no. there's no reason this would happen
c) no.

Let's say your psion uncarnate is a human. he targets a troll with mind switch.

the troll hops to your human body, which loses its incorporeal subtype since that was derived from class features, and those travel with you.

you hop to the troll's body and it immediately becomes incorporeal from your uncarnate ability.

also, I think you're confused about how uncarnate works. at level 10, you are incorporeal all the time except for 1 minute a day. you can't flip it on and offf outside those parameters.

2)Mind switch would function as normal i.e. you and the target trade bodies, the only difference being that your body is incorporeal. There is a chance that since your incorporeality is a class feature your body would become corporeal for the duration of the mind switch while the new body would become incorporeal though I am a little iffy on that one.

As for a more effective version of possession, the best I could think of on short notice is occupying the opponents space (assuming that you are incorporeal of course) and using either psionic dominate or control body. Either that or convince your DM to make a psionic equivalent of magic jar assuming one doesn't already exist.

2) there isn't "a chance." that explicitly happens:

You retain your own hit points, saving throws (possibly modified by new ability scores), class abilities, supernatural and spell-like abilities, spells and powers, and skills and feats (although skill checks use your new ability scores, and you may be temporarily unable to use feats whose requirements you do not meet in your new body).

(emphasis mine)

unless your target also has 10 levels of psion uncarnate, your body turns corporeal on the switch and the target's becomes incorporeal.

mind switch is the psionic version of magic jar.

frogglesmash
2015-06-13, 12:17 PM
2) there isn't "a chance." that explicitly happens:

(emphasis mine)

unless your target also has 10 levels of psion uncarnate, your body turns corporeal on the switch and the target's becomes incorporeal.

Thanks for confirming for me.

wagnerloeher
2015-06-13, 02:17 PM
Thank you for the answers.

Venger you said "yes" to "Would it have a limited life span or would it live forever?", although "yes" answers about the age problem. I guess I'll have to find ways to become immortal besides it (any ideas? I really like the benefits of old age, but don't want -6 Des and Con).

Thank you for the explanation Venger and frogglesmash.

How would be YOUR version of a Psionic Possession power? Where do I find this Magic Jar spell? Like, I want to find ways to "negate" my Uncarnate power temporarily.

frogglesmash
2015-06-13, 02:49 PM

Venger you said "yes" to "Would it have a limited life span or would it live forever?", although "yes" answers about the age problem. I guess I'll have to find ways to become immortal besides it (any ideas? I really like the benefits of old age, but don't want -6 Des and Con).

How would be YOUR version of a Psionic Possession power? Where do I find this Magic Jar spell? Like, I want to find ways to "negate" my Uncarnate power temporarily.

Magic Jar is srd and can be found in the Player's Handbook. As for immortality you might want to look at this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996) as well as the Spectral savant Template in Complete Psionic. For perma corporeality there's the Ring of Manifesting in Ghostwalk (10,000 gp) which let's incorporeal creatures "manifest fully" as long as it's worn, which as far as I can tell means to become corporeal, there's also the Ghostly Grasp feat in Libris Mortis that let's you "wear, wield, and otherwise use corporeal items as though you were not incorporeal" and only requires that you have a charisma of 15 and the incorporeal subtype.

Venger
2015-06-13, 03:18 PM

I meant "yes, it accrues the aging penalties as normal because it has no ability to mitigate or ignore them." Just because you're incorporeal does not mean you live forever. as frogglesmash said, there's like a zillion ways to become immortal (has no in-game effect, really) collected in that handbook, so you can do it without much trouble if it's important to your guy.

sure thing.

are you asking us what we'd homebrew? are you asking for similar powers to mind switch? I don't think I quite understand your question. this, mind seed, psionic dominate, stygian dominion, etc all provide similar effects.

magic jar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicJar.htm) is core, so it's on the srd.

since you're probably gonna be a telepath, just use mind switch. the xp penalty is pretty low. if just "a body" is the goal, see if your DM will allow you to carry around a pet for when you want to open doors or make sandwiches or whatever. if you want a combat form, you might want to keep a couple of slaves via psionic dominate.

Segev
2015-06-13, 03:25 PM
A magic item of unseen servant that takes a command word each hour to create a new one is 1,800 gp. Command your servant to move objects for you, if you're just concerned about having the ability to manipulate the world around you.

Venger
2015-06-13, 03:44 PM
A magic item of unseen servant that takes a command word each hour to create a new one is 1,800 gp. Command your servant to move objects for you, if you're just concerned about having the ability to manipulate the world around you.

or a collar of perpetual attendance, if your DM allows that kind of thing.

wagnerloeher
2015-06-14, 03:00 AM
One last question about Psion Uncarnate.

What happens if a Psion Uncarnate enters an area of Reddopsi (like a dead magic area).
Would he turn physical? Or would he still be incorporeal even in a non-psionic area? Like, near the Annulus for instance.

Closet_Skeleton
2015-06-14, 05:20 AM
Uncarnate is an EX ability so it isn't effected by anti-magic or anti-psionics. Unless he's also undead, then anti-magic fields make him disappear from existence until the field dissipates.

All his other abilities are SU and therefore will stop working in a anti-magic field. So all his equipment that he's actively turning incorporeal will fall off him. Lower level Uncarnates using Shed body would become corporeal until they leave the field with time inside the field counting against the duration of the ability.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm

Uncarnates have infinite use telekinesis anyway.

frogglesmash
2015-06-14, 05:43 AM
Uncarnates have infinite use telekinesis anyway.

But telekinesis consumes Standard Actions.