PDA

View Full Version : Druid and cure moderate wounds scrolls

Ced
2015-06-13, 03:21 AM
Hello,

I play a druid level 4 and I bought some scrolls of Cure Moderate Wounds. I realized that actually this spell is a level 3 and not level 2 spell for the druid, which means that my caster level should be 5 minimum to have access to it. But the CL for the scroll is 3 (since it is a level 2 cleric spell). How does that work actually? Am I allowed to case the spell without any problem? The rules do not say anything about that.

A similar issue is when you play a bard, and you use a scroll of haste. This is level 3 mage spell as well, which means that a level 5 mage can use it without doing any check. It is a 3rd level bard spell as well, but the bard must be level 7 to have access to it. Can a bard level 5 cast "Haste" from a CL5 scroll without any issue?

Thanks!

DarkWhisper
2015-06-13, 03:50 AM
To have any chance of activating a scroll spell, the scroll user must meet the following requirements.

-- The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.)
-- The user must have the spell on his or her class list.
-- The user must have the requisite ability score.

If the user meets all the requirements noted above, and her caster level is at least equal to the spell’s caster level, she can automatically activate the spell without a check. If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell’s caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll’s caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully. If she fails, she must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap (see Scroll Mishaps, below). A natural roll of 1 always fails, whatever the modifiers.
(Emphasis added).

But the CL for the scroll is 3 (since it is a level 2 cleric spell). How does that work actually? Am I allowed to case the spell without any problem? The rules do not say anything about that.

As outlined above, the druid can activate the scroll without problems, since he meets all three requirements and has a high enough CL to use the scroll. The druid will heal 2d8+3 HP (not +4, because the scroll's caster level (3) is relevant for the spell's effect, not the druid's).

Can a bard level 5 cast "Haste" from a CL5 scroll without any issue?

If he succeeds on a Caster Level Check (as outlined above), then Yes.

Ced
2015-06-13, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought as well since the rules do not mention anything about that particular case. So this actually means that by using scrolls you can sometimes have access to spells that you can not cast from your list because you do not have the required level.

If he succeeds on a Caster Level Check (as outlined above), then yes.

He actually doesn't neeed to roll a CL check, since he is level 5 and the CL of the scroll is 5 as well. Now you confuse me...

DarkWhisper
2015-06-13, 07:02 AM
He actually doesn't neeed to roll a CL check, since he is level 5 and the CL of the scroll is 5 as well. Now you confuse me...

Yep, error on my part, confounding bard casting with something else. :elan: