PDA

View Full Version : "Fear me! Wha... stop laughing, I'm dangerous!" [5E] [PEACH]

spwack
2015-06-13, 08:27 AM
Freshly reposted from Reddit, I present to thee: THE EVIL POT PLANT. A brand new race, intent on world domination. Anything marked in red is something I'm not sure about the balance of, but obviously, everything is up for change. Begin!

Neither the power hungry mortal nor the ancient demiurge knew what they were getting themselves into. A flaw in the summoning circle, a few hastily spoken phrases were all it took to break the summoning, to turn the binder into the bound. Gazing out into lush world, throbbing with life and potential, the demiurge may have been slightly too eager to enter its new body. So eager in fact, it shattered the wizards aging bones and turned his brain to mush. Enraged at the loss of the potential of the powerful figure, the demiurge was forced into the nearest living organism: An unwanted pot plant from a nosy mother-in-law.

Such is the will of the universe.

Ability Score Increase. Evil Pot Plants gain +1 to Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma

Age. Technically immortal, but most corporeal bodies only last 1000 years at the most.

Alignment. Despite the name, Evil Pot Plants do not have to be evil. Or even pot plants for that matter. They have a tendency towards Lawful Evil, but this is by no means a restriction.

Speed. Evil Pot Plants have a speed of 0, which cannot be increased.

Size. Evil Pot Plants vary from a few inches in length to a few feet. Your size is Tiny.

Inanimate. Evil Pot Plants do not have a Strength, Dexterity or Constitution score. They cannot take any actions or make any checks requiring Strength, Dexterity or Constitution, and can very specifically never make the attack action. They automatically fail any checks requiring Strength or Dexterity, but not Constitution.

Deepest Speech (Like Deep Speech, but Deeper). Evil Pot Plants know every language and have telepathy up to 40 feet away. If they possess telepathy from another source it increases by the same amount. However, they cannot physically speak without using telepathy. For some reason, telepathy allows them to fool the universe into thinking they can speak. And wave around their flesh-flippers. The result of this is that you can use telepathy in place of any somatic or verbal spell components. Should Mindless Minions (see below) make somatic and verbal components, or does this work okay?

Mindless Minion. With a ritual taking 1 hour, an Evil Pot Plant can wipe the memory of any incapacitated creature with 8 Intelligence or greater. After doing so, the creature can no longer take any actions, speak, or think for themselves, and can never use class abilities or cast spells. Most of the time, a Mindless Minion will carry it's master, residing in the same location. They can never take the attack, but take the move action on behalf of the Evil Pot Plant they are carrying. For saves requiring Strength, Dexterity or Constitution, the mindless minion uses their own score and proficiency. If the save requires Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma, the Evil Pot Plant uses their own scores and proficiency. If a mindless minion is outside telepathy range, it can no longer be controlled, and will simply stand there, taking no actions. If a mindless minion spend 24 hours or more outside of telepathy range, they may make a DC 15 Wisdom save to remove the effects of the Evil Pot Plants domination, suffering 2 Intelligence damage. Until this Intelligence damage is healed, they cannot become a Mindless Minion again. An Evil Pot Plant always starts with a Mindless Minion at level 1.

Intelligent Possession. While being held by a Mindless Minion, you can maneuver it into protecting you at the expense of its own safety. As a Bonus Action until your next turn, all attacks against you have disadvantage, and all attacks against the minion have advantage. If the attack misses you, it automatically targets the Mindless Minion, with all the modifiers of the original attack.

SUBRACE: Neurovorous Pot Plant If someone can come up with a better name I'd be a very happy clam

Brain Trickery. At 1st level, an Neurovorous Pot Plant can use the Vicious Mockery cantrip at-will. At 3rd level, it can use Dissonant Whispers once per long rest. At 5th level, it can use Suggestion once per long rest. It can use any mental stat as the spellcasting stat.

Mindless Swarm. The ritual to create a mindless minion now takes only 1d4 rounds, but they must be incapacitated and within 5 feet for the entire time. You can have up to your proficiency bonus of Mindless Minions at any time. You can control 1d4 minions as a Bonus Action, but each can only move OR attack, not both on one turn. A Mindless Minion that is not carrying you can carry a weapon instead (no ranged weapons). A Mindless Minion uses your own Proficiency bonus to attack,

SUBRACE: Pet Rock

Ability Score Increase. Pet Rocks have a Constitution score, and either a Strength or Dexterity score, and a +2 to any of those stats.

Rock and Roll. Pet Rocks have a ground speed of 5 feet.

Marginally Useful. Pet Rocks can be used as a +0 magic weapon dealing 1d4 bludgeoning, piercing or slashing damage. They can change this damage type during a long rest.

Caveman Tactics. While being wielded by a Mindless Minion, a Pet Rock can make an attack action, but only using itself. If a Mindless Minion attacks and deals damage, you can deal damage to yourself up to your Proficiency bonus, and heal your minion by the same amount.

Mindless Minion stats:
Useless (Peasants, merchants, nobles etc.)
HP - 1d8/level
AC: 10+DEX+Proficiency
Speed: 30 feet
Attack: 1d4 bludgeoning

Sneaky (Thieves, goblins, orphans etc.)
HP - 1d6/level
AC: 12+DEX+Proficiency
Speed: 35 feet
Attack: 1d6 piercing

Beefy (Guards, barbarians, drunkards etc.)
HP - 1d10/level
AC: 14+Proficiency
Speed: 20 feet
Attack: 1d10 bludgeoning or slashing

spwack
2015-06-14, 04:17 AM
I've updated with stats for various minion types. What do people reckon about the balance?

Belac93
2015-07-20, 05:19 PM
First of all, I love this race.
Several things about balance.
1) Give them Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores. Every creature in 5e has them now, including fungus's. But I would suggest give them a large penalty to it (-7 would be best I'd say, maybe minimum 1 for people who roll their stats. Maybe give pet rocks a lesser penalty (like -2 or -3)
2) Give them a 5 ft. movement speed. But still no increasing.
3) Give mindless minions weapon and armor proficiencies instead of base damages and base AC. Give sizes, and also ability scores. And make beefy minions faster.
3) Give only humanoid minions (no pet dragons)

ChocoPuppy
2015-10-22, 06:22 PM
Why not just give them a burrowing speed of 25 or something so they don't have to be carried around everywhere

rlc
2015-10-23, 10:14 AM
^wouldn't fit the concept at all.

Grinner
2015-10-23, 10:29 AM
Not really a mechanics-person, but I love the concepts. :smallbiggrin:

Mith
2015-10-23, 12:39 PM
What about the idea of a "Pot head" ritual: A necromatic ritual that kills the Mindless Minion and replaces it's head with your Pot. You need to find a new body every month, as your roots take nutrients from the decaying corpse.

spikeof2010
2015-10-24, 02:24 AM
Oh boy, I can finally play Flowey!