PDA

View Full Version : Ex skills

arixe
2015-06-13, 10:04 AM
My dm is thinking of doing this ex skill thing like in sword art online and wants the player opinions he said they would function sort of like a quest and player that meets the criteria gets the skill. I was wanting the all knowing internets opinion. Im a ranger planing on becoming an assassin.

Segev
2015-06-13, 10:08 AM
This sounds entirely homebrew, so it's difficult to give any opinion on it from our perspective unless you have some reference material. "Like in Sword Art Online" only tells us they're some sort of special powers. I don't see anything inherently wrong with the DM handing out special powers as quest rewards.

arixe
2015-06-13, 10:19 AM
Right i wish i had more contexts. I suggested my pet could use my sneak attack by forgoing my own. Or being able to share skill ranks or rolls on skill checks but im not sure if this is over powered or game breaking

frogglesmash
2015-06-13, 12:20 PM
Right i wish i had more contexts. I suggested my pet could use my sneak attack by forgoing my own. Or being able to share skill ranks or rolls on skill checks but im not sure if this is over powered or game breaking

Don't familiars and animal companions already use your skill ranks if they're better, or is that just for familiars?

jiriku
2015-06-13, 03:35 PM
Familiars do. Companions don't.

frost890
2015-06-13, 04:26 PM
Can you find out kinds of examples he has for the criteria he has for the skill? As for the sneak attack, as your animal gains HD it also gains feats anyway. Once you open the door to homebrew it changes the rules though. In a game we have going we started teaching each other and our pets class skills and spells. So we will need a bit more information before we can help much.

arixe
2015-06-13, 08:46 PM
He gave the example of our acher after he makes so many shots beyond his range he gainst this ex skill egal eye where for every rank of preception he has his range is increased 10ft maybe 5ft he hasnt decided our acher suggested this by the way