PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help making a unkillable crusader gestalt.

ShiningCrusader
2015-06-13, 10:40 AM
hello everyone. so i have a problem, to put it simple i tend to make characters that look good on paper, but when in combat die really quickly. so i decided to ask for help with my next character. is there a way to make a crusader/ something gestalt that is near unkillable. i thought maybe a cleric would be nice, but i thought I'd ask you guys first. all psionic and incarnum races or feats are not allowed (though certain feats are allowed from those books.)

thethird
2015-06-13, 10:53 AM
What level are you? How much optimization do you feel comfortable with? Other than your character not dying what do you want your character to do? How do you want your character to feel?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-06-13, 11:06 AM
What level?

I would throw on a bunch of Sorcerer levels for Wings of Cover and buffs, or even a single Sorcerer level and put a Wand of Wings of Cover in a wand chamber in your weapon or shield. The Rules Compendium says wands take the same action to activate as the casting time of the spell it contains.

Twurps
2015-06-13, 12:46 PM
I'm not to familiar with gestalt, so this might be rubbish but:

if you want something melee-ish:
Save replacing boosts from TOB are your friend(dip sworsage somewhere?). find a way to fit in (improved) evasion and mettle (pious templar) to round these off.

Also: Ruby knight Vindicator for additional swift actions, full BAB, 8/10 cleric casting and full initiator progression. Combining the durability of a crusader and all healing/protecting goodness of a cleric.

Ohter nice classes to consider: Sanctified one(Wee Jas) and/or Abjurant champion give nice AC boosts. With a little work they can be applied to touch AC (Shield ward feat). these can be put on an arcane chasis to really put a simple 'shield' spell to good use.

Aleolus
2015-06-13, 01:13 PM
My suggestion would be to gestalt with Knight, take Improved Toughness and a feat to boost your worst save, and focus on maneuvers that heal you and boost your defenses

frost890
2015-06-13, 04:39 PM
I would go with fighter. The TOB has a lot of good feats end with normal classes it is hard to get enough feats to use most of them. Plus you can get maneuvers outside the crusader class if you choose. The biggest problem I see with some of the castersother then cleric is using spells in armor. At higher levels you can prestige in to something that allows casting in armor.
Edit- paladin is also good for the cha to saves and you can use harm/heal wand chambers. I forget the feat that speeds there casting. This is great for buffing themselves.

KingSmitty
2015-06-13, 05:24 PM
Crusader20/Barbarian20 should suffice without much effort

Venger
2015-06-13, 05:27 PM
hello everyone. so i have a problem, to put it simple i tend to make characters that look good on paper, but when in combat die really quickly. so i decided to ask for help with my next character. is there a way to make a crusader/ something gestalt that is near unkillable. i thought maybe a cleric would be nice, but i thought I'd ask you guys first. all psionic and incarnum races or feats are not allowed (though certain feats are allowed from those books.)

are classes allowed? crusader20//incarnate 20 is indestructible, especially with stone power and cobalt power.

Uncle Pine
2015-06-13, 05:40 PM
I'd start with stacking Warforged, Troll-Blooded and fire, acid and non-lethal damage immunity.

Aleolus
2015-06-13, 07:05 PM
are classes allowed? crusader20//incarnate 20 is indestructible, especially with stone power and cobalt power.

How do you figure?

ExLibrisMortis
2015-06-13, 07:32 PM
You could go paladin 2/crusader X//sorcerer 4/spellsword 1/abjurant champion 5/incantatrix 3/initiate of the sevenfold veil 7, persist tons of buffs and that's the end of that.

Venger
2015-06-13, 07:36 PM
How do you figure?

stone power lets you gain temp HP when you take a power attack like penalty. this in tandem with cobalt power, which lets you boost your PA further, and gives more essentia. this in tandem with vitality belt lets you hit harder and be much more difficult to put down.

Ellowryn
2015-06-13, 07:46 PM
Crusader 20//Incarnate 20 is indeed a very durable and rather simple build. Your only real weakness will be your reflex saves but failing those only means more damage which you wouldn't have a problem with. Another nice thing about incarnum is the combo of Martial Spirit and Therapeutic Mantle meaning you don't even have to be using a healing strike to gain bonus healing. Do note that you will not have the offensive capability that mages will, as you are still a martial, but you hopefully not be ignored in combat.

Rebel7284
2015-06-13, 07:57 PM
Chaotic good
Eberron Ranger 3/Paladin of Freedom 2/witch slayer 1/Crusader 14
//
Sorcerer 6/Incantatrix 4/Initiate of the seventhfold veil 7/Shadowcraft Mage 3

Venger
2015-06-13, 08:00 PM
Crusader 20//Incarnate 20 is indeed a very durable and rather simple build. Your only real weakness will be your reflex saves but failing those only means more damage which you wouldn't have a problem with. Another nice thing about incarnum is the combo of Martial Spirit and Therapeutic Mantle meaning you don't even have to be using a healing strike to gain bonus healing. Do note that you will not have the offensive capability that mages will, as you are still a martial, but you hopefully not be ignored in combat.

not really. just bind the impulse boots. you'll have enough essentia to shore it up, and evasion will help you avoid the worst of it.

you'll have plenty of magic offensive punch. don't forget about the mage's spectacles and/or the elder spirit.