PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Undead With Natural Poisons

CrazyYanmega
2015-06-13, 12:00 PM
What happens to the save DC of a creature's poison if it is turned into an Undead? I have an Entropic Avolakia Lich Cleric that I am going to be using as the BBEG, and don't know what to do about his poison bite. Any help would be appreciated.

frogglesmash
2015-06-13, 01:31 PM
Most poison DCs are Con based so assuming that this is the case the DC would be 10+1/2 HD+Con mod. with the Con mod. being zero because it is a null stat.

Edit: After looking at the Avolakia stat block I feel that it is safe to assume that the poison DC is con based as the only other possibilities are for it to be either dex or int based and I don't think I've ever seen DCs calculated based off of those stats.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-06-13, 02:04 PM
The DC would be charisma-based, as per MM1, p300: "Also use Charisma for any DC that normally would be based on an ability score the creature does not have. For example, undead creatures have no Constitution score, so any poison attacks they have would use Charisma to determine the save DC."

The Viscount
2015-06-15, 02:47 PM
Do be careful with this, as WotC sometimes forgets to apply this rule. The Hullathoin, for example, has a poison DC based off of Cha (though it doesn't actually say this), whereas the Bhut has a Con based one, and they're in the same book.

ShurikVch
2015-06-15, 03:13 PM
Entropic Avolakia Lich ClericNote: Lich template required Humanoid type (unless you go Death Master 20)
Avolakia is Aberration
Entropic Avolakia will be Outsider
Maybe, it will be better to use Lichfiend template?

atemu1234
2015-06-15, 03:32 PM
Note: Lich template required Humanoid type (unless you go Death Master 20)
Avolakia is Aberration
Entropic Avolakia will be Outsider
Maybe, it will be better to use Lichfiend template?

Isn't it the same?

ShurikVch
2015-06-15, 03:52 PM
Isn't it the same?It depend on which version of Lichfiend you will use:
Lichfiend in Libris Mortis is pretty close, except the different prerequisites, and slightly different DR
Lichfiend in Dungeon #116 is notably different: it required Evil Brand, it's touch cause insanity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/insanity.htm) instead paralysis, and it come back again and again, because it have no phylactery to destroy (or, to be more accurate, it's "phylactery" is an Archfiend, or evil deity)