PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PFS Advice] Gunslinger Sorcerer Build

Strormer
2015-06-13, 02:39 PM
Alright, so I'm certain everyone's seen a few of these in the past, and while I've done quite a bit of research, I'm really interested in what the playground would recommend.

I'm making a new character to use in Pathfinder Society and, since I've been dying to play a Spellslinger, but they're disallowed for society play, I've decided to make my own gun mage, with blackjack, and hookers. Well, with spontaneous casting, anyway.

So here's what I'm thinking so far:
I know that the race is going to be Kitsune. They're allowed in general right now and I just kinda like them.
For classes, I'm thinking of starting off as a Mysterious Stranger Gunslinger with a musket since low levels are where non-casters shine. After that I'd go with Stormborn Sorcerer. Possibly picking up Eldritch Knight after a while, but I'm not certain if that's worth doing, in all honesty since I'll miss out on all the valuable sorcerer benefits and a gunslinger doesn't really have that much trouble hitting most foes regardless of to-hit.

So to summarize, I'm leaning toward Kitsune Mysterious Stranger Gunslinger 2/Stormborn Sorcerer X/Eldrtich Knight ?

Any input is appreciated.

grarrrg
2015-06-13, 04:30 PM
For classes, I'm thinking of starting off as a Mysterious Stranger Gunslinger with a musket since low levels are where non-casters shine....
So to summarize, I'm leaning toward Kitsune Mysterious Stranger Gunslinger 2/Stormborn Sorcerer X/Eldrtich Knight ?

Gunslinger _2_??
1 or 5, possible argument for 3 (Musket Master only), but 2?
Nobody goes Gunslinger 2.

Also, you may want to rethink the Musket.
It's 1 step slower to reload than a Pistol. Even with Rapid Reload and Alchemical Cartridges (which you won't be able to readily afford for a bit), you're still looking at a Move Action to reload the thing.
Go with a Pistol, much more manageable.

As for Kitsune, decent enough. The built in Bite attack will come in handy if opponents reach Melee range (Reloading Gun provokes AoO's, AND Firing Gun provokes AoOs).

Strormer
2015-06-13, 04:41 PM
Gunslinger _2_??
1 or 5, possible argument for 3 (Musket Master only), but 2?
Nobody goes Gunslinger 2.

Also, you may want to rethink the Musket.
It's 1 step slower to reload than a Pistol. Even with Rapid Reload and Alchemical Cartridges (which you won't be able to readily afford for a bit), you're still looking at a Move Action to reload the thing.
Go with a Pistol, much more manageable.

As for Kitsune, decent enough. The built in Bite attack will come in handy if opponents reach Melee range (Reloading Gun provokes AoO's, AND Firing Gun provokes AoOs).

Yes, sorry, typo. MS gunslinger 1. As for the musket. I'd thought about the reload time, but figured I'd be firing at long range and use my magic for battlefield control at medium. Close combat is not my friend. Considering the slow BAB progression, does the reload factor in that much?

stack
2015-06-13, 05:05 PM
Only problem with not going human is all the feats you need for ranged combat.

grarrrg
2015-06-13, 05:22 PM
does the reload factor in that much?

Depends on just how much shooting you plan on doing, and what level you plan on doing it.

Once you get a few levels of Sorcerer, you have more options than "I shoot" or "I reload" every round. When you can afford them, Double-Barreled weapons, and Pepperbox-Pistol can help with not 'needing' to reload as much.

Default reload time for a Musket is a Full-Round action, meaning you are doing more or less -nothing- half the time in combat.
Musket+Rapid Reload or Pistol makes is a Standard, which means you aren't doing anything 'productive' half the time, but you can at least Move around.
Musket+Rapid+Cartridges or Pistol+Rapid gets your to a Move action, which means you can make at least 1 attack every round.

If you put your 1st level in Gunslinger, then I'd recommend either using a Pistol and taking Rapid Reload (as you can then shoot every round), OR use the Musket for an opening shot, and then switch to a melee weapon or Bow.

If you put your 1st level in Sorcerer, than you have different options right away, and when you do take Gunslinger, then reloading is not as much of an issue.

Ultimately, I'd put your goal at getting a Pepperbox (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/pepperbox) pistol. It holds 6 shots at a time, so you can do all of your reloading outside of combat.

Geddy2112
2015-06-13, 09:39 PM
You can still carry a musket, and so long as you have quick draw you can fire the musket and drop it one round, then draw your pepperbox once things get closer. It is your long range drop gun, then go in closer.

Stormborn gets deadly aim, but by level 8(1 level in MS) you are beyond needing it. Adding shock to your gun is OK, but not great. The resistances are nice and the spells are not bad, but there are better bloodlines. It is not the worst if you want it for a fluff reason. Plus you lose out on armor, which is still something. I also second 5 ranks in MS or 1, never 2, 3 can be ok for +2 initiative and pulling your piece as part of the initiative check.