PDA

View Full Version : Equipment vs rolling for gold

Mjolnirbear
2015-06-13, 04:18 PM
So I'm a bit confused. In another thread, someone mentioned that it was much more worth it to take the equipment packs for class and background than to take gold and buy stuff. But my experience suggests thats not always true.

My sorceror had much more gold than when he picked out his gear. So did my friend's ranger. Since then i buy equipment because i can get exactly what i want and cause i can get more. The exception seems to be regarding armour or instruments.

Is my understanding deficient?

Cybren
2015-06-13, 04:23 PM
Picking equipment packages is a time-saver, and honestly, most groups probably don't even track money in such small amounts since the first big haul your characters grab will be an order of magnitude or two higher than whatever chump change you have left over at character creation, regardless of whether you rolled or picked a package.

hawklost
2015-06-13, 04:32 PM
Average wealth for rolling on Sorceror is 3d4 x10= 75gp

Sorceror starting equip
• (a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) any simple weapon
• (a) a component pouch or (b) an arcane focus
• (a) a dungeoneer’s pack or (b) an explorer’s pack
• Two daggers

Taking all (a) we get

Costs
25gp Light Crossbow
1gp Ammunition
25gp Component Pouch
12 gp Dungeoneers Pack
2gp Dagger
2gp Dagger
---------------------
67gp

Every Kind of Background (except Hermit) gets a minimum of 10 gp PLUS many other items that are small but can cost some decent gold. That means that unless you take hermit background you are getting more gold than an Average roll for Wealth as a Sorceror.

Slipperychicken
2015-06-13, 05:27 PM
I prefer the equipment packs because they're fast and contain the basics for the class. Also, the background equipment easily takes you over the wealth rolls' average.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-13, 06:00 PM
It really varies by class. If the DM rules that a wizard needs to buy a spellbook, for instance, they won't benefit from rolling.

From memory, rolling replaces your background gear as well, so entertainer (which gives you instruments and costumes) might be better than rolling.

And there's always the risk you'll roll low and not be able to get all the basics you need.

dafrca
2015-06-13, 08:27 PM
If the DM rules that a wizard needs to buy a spellbook, .... While I have played RPGs for quite some time I am new to 5e. So please forgive this off topic question: I thought a Wizard starts with their Spell Book. The GM can elect to force them to buy one?

Giant2005
2015-06-13, 08:52 PM
So I'm a bit confused. In another thread, someone mentioned that it was much more worth it to take the equipment packs for class and background than to take gold and buy stuff. But my experience suggests thats not always true.

My sorceror had much more gold than when he picked out his gear. So did my friend's ranger. Since then i buy equipment because i can get exactly what i want and cause i can get more. The exception seems to be regarding armour or instruments.

Is my understanding deficient?

I was the one that mentioned it was more worth it to take the packages but in hindsight, that may just be because I game the system a little bit to make it so and that is probably not the norm. By gaming the system I mean choosing the most expensive options available as part of the starting package, selling them at half price and then buying the item you actually want.

ChubbyRain
2015-06-13, 09:19 PM
It really varies by class. If the DM rules that a wizard needs to buy a spellbook, for instance, they won't benefit from rolling.

Crawford confirmed in a tweet that this is the intent, you must buy the spell book if you choose to roll for GP.

Zevox
2015-06-13, 10:42 PM
My group went with giving everyone the maximum amount of gold you could roll automatically and buying stuff with that. Using the pre-packaged stuff was just deemed pretty dull and unappealing compared to picking exactly what we wanted, but the RNG element of rolling for it - especially the way it introduces the possibility of some players being screwed by sub-par rolls while others get high ones - was something nobody liked at all, so we went with that instead. Seems pretty reasonable: everybody can afford the basics and have some extra left over for small purchases or to get started saving for something, and doesn't seem to result in anything problematic in the process.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-06-14, 04:23 AM
While I have played RPGs for quite some time I am new to 5e. So please forgive this off topic question: I thought a Wizard starts with their Spell Book. The GM can elect to force them to buy one?

A Spellbook is in the wizard's default starting loadout, but if you choose to roll for gold, you lose it (as ChubbyRain confirmed up the thread).

Spellbooks aren't exactly cheap! And scholar's packs are 40gp as well.

ChubbyRain
2015-06-14, 10:08 AM
A Spellbook is in the wizard's default starting loadout, but if you choose to roll for gold, you lose it (as ChubbyRain confirmed up the thread).

Spellbooks aren't exactly cheap! And scholar's packs are 40gp as well.

Unless you are playing an illusionist wizard with the keen mind feat and don't need a spell book you really shouldn't roll for gold as a wizard.

Though it isn't like there is much you really need to buy with your money but I like to get a lot of odds ball stuff for the "just in case" moments.

Giant2005
2015-06-14, 10:49 AM
you really shouldn't roll for gold as a wizard.

That same principle applies to most classes - I added up the value of all of the classes starting equipment and compared that to the average roll if they chose the wealth option and all but two classes come out ahead by taking the equipment packages, even before taking background packages into consideration. The only classes that run at a loss by taking the pre-packaged option are the Sorcerer and Bard but even those losses are probably more than mitigated by your background selections (Considering background selections alone can add value of almost 70g to your package).

Here are the stats:

• Monk: 5D4 or equipment to the value of 37.5g (300% of average wealth)

• Fighter: 5D4x10 or equipment to the value of 214g (171.2% of average wealth)

• Paladin: 5D4x10 or equipment to the value of 204g (163.2% of average wealth)

• Druid: 2D4x10 or equipment to the value of 80g (160% of average wealth)

• Warlock: 4D4x10 or equipment to the value of 131g (131% of average wealth)

• Cleric: 5D4x10 or equipment to the value of 151g (120.8% of average wealth)

• Wizard: 4D4x10 or equipment to the value of 117g (117% of average wealth)

• Ranger: 5D4x10 or equipment to the value of 134g (107.2% of average wealth)

• Rogue: 4D4x10 or equipment to the value of 107g (107% of average wealth)

• Barbarian: 2d4x10g or equipment to the value of 52g (104% average wealth)

• Sorcerer: 3D4x10 or equipment to the value of 68g (90.7% of average wealth)

• Bard: 5D4x10 or equipment to the value of 112g (89.6% of average wealth)

• Guild Artisan: 67g + guild introduction

• Folk Hero: 64.5g

• Acolyte: 60.5g + 5 incense

• Charlatan: 55g + tools of the con

• Entertainer: 50g + favor of an admirer

• Noble: 45g + scroll of pedigree

• Sage: 22.52g + unanswered question

• Sailor: 20.6g + trinket

• Criminal: 17.5g

• Outlander: 17.2g + trophy

• Soldier: 13g + insignia of rank

• Urchin: 12.5g + map, mouse, and token