PDA

View Full Version : Monster hunting equipment tips

frost890
2015-06-13, 06:53 PM
So I am starting a game where I am working at a magic school. My Char is going to be a noncaster. The other player are in the middle of a war between werewolves and what are most likely vampires. Besides silver and holywater/stakes what are some equipment that I should get? Everyone is at 5th lvl. There should not be much trouble getting ahold of special items but I am drawing a blank. Any of the 3.5 books are on the table but we can not use homebrew.

DeltaEmil
2015-06-13, 08:04 PM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-%28Equipment-Handbook%29)has some useful list of items that are affordable at low-levels and explaining how they can be useful.

Since your character is at a magic school, and depending on how much money your character might have, this thread which talks about magic items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) can also be useful in the battle between werewolves and vampires.

nyjastul69
2015-06-13, 08:09 PM
So I am starting a game where I am working at a magic school. My Char is going to be a noncaster. The other player are in the middle of a war between werewolves and what are most likely vampires. Besides silver and holywater/stakes what are some equipment that I should get? Everyone is at 5th lvl. There should not be much trouble getting ahold of special items but I am drawing a blank. Any of the 3.5 books are on the table but we can not use homebrew.

Garlic, a mirror and a holy symbol are notably absent from your list.

The Viscount
2015-06-16, 12:09 PM
Wolfsbane is a very good idea unless you have easy access to a cleric of 12th level casting heal or remove disease.

khadgar567
2015-06-16, 02:07 PM
when you say vampire the first thing came to my mind is dragon clasps which allows you to lock the vampire either out of coffin or inside the coffin

frogglesmash
2015-06-16, 03:39 PM
Two notable items from the first link that DeltaEmil Posted are Alchemical Flare Stakes, and Alchemical Sun Flashes. The flare stakes are basically daggers that deal 1d6 points of extra fire damage to undead, and continue to do so every round until the creature in question takes a standard action to remove them. The Sun Flashes are Alchemist's fire that dazzles light sensitive opponents, and staggers vampires, both for one round, and both with no save. Both items are from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft which may or may not contain some other anti-vampire goodies.

jiriku
2015-06-16, 05:42 PM
I recommend #2 pencils.

What? You're still in school.

HurinTheCursed
2015-06-16, 08:02 PM
Wouldn't simulating running water be helpful ?
Or spells to cloud the moon if it is taken into account by your DM/setting.