PDA

View Full Version : 6th level sorcerer can create 4th level slots

numerek
2015-06-13, 07:15 PM
I have tried going through the player's handbook to find something that says you can't do this but none of the places I looked at that talk about spells slots(sorcerer class feature, multiclassing, and the rules of magic) say anything about it, and even if it did there is the section where specific beats general.

But the flexible casting feature uses the word create, not restore or regain. and it also uses the phrase gain additional spell slots.

if you converted almost all of your spell slots into sorcery points you can actually create 4 4th level spell slots at 6th level, granted its not that overpowered since you can only up cast spells that you know that are 3rd level and lower and up casting usually isn't that great. though it does help with dispel magic and counterspell.

This also means a 7th level sorcerer can create 5th level slots. Also 4 5th level spell slots if you convert most of your other spell slots into sorcery points. This one does actually have one benefit with bestow curse because its not a concentration spell when cast with a 5th level slot, but currently sorcerer's (even favored soul's) can't learn bestow curse without multiclass.

Ashrym
2015-06-13, 09:24 PM
AFAIK you are correct. The same discussion came up before and I don't recall seeing anything to dispute it. It is create, not restore, so the sorcerer can also exceed the listed slots per level on the chart with several low level slots.

Unlike a wizard or druid, the sorcerer does not recover slots.

ImSAMazing
2015-06-14, 02:56 AM
I have tried going through the player's handbook to find something that says you can't do this but none of the places I looked at that talk about spells slots(sorcerer class feature, multiclassing, and the rules of magic) say anything about it, and even if it did there is the section where specific beats general.

But the flexible casting feature uses the word create, not restore or regain. and it also uses the phrase gain additional spell slots.

if you converted almost all of your spell slots into sorcery points you can actually create 4 4th level spell slots at 6th level, granted its not that overpowered since you can only up cast spells that you know that are 3rd level and lower and up casting usually isn't that great. though it does help with dispel magic and counterspell.

This also means a 7th level sorcerer can create 5th level slots. Also 4 5th level spell slots if you convert most of your other spell slots into sorcery points. This one does actually have one benefit with bestow curse because its not a concentration spell when cast with a 5th level slot, but currently sorcerer's (even favored soul's) can't learn bestow curse without multiclass.

True. You don't learn a spell with it, but you can use it to cast a spell at a higher level. However, remember that the spellslots created vanish after a long rest.

rollingForInit
2015-06-14, 03:32 AM
I don't really think it makes much a difference. So you can burn 6 sorcery points to cast Fireball at 4th level instead of 3rd. One additional d6 of damage. Instead, you could have spent 2 points to quicken the Fireball and then cast Fire Bolt. If we're talking single-target spells, you could instead have Twinned it to affect another creature. Even Empower Spell would probably be better, since you can reroll quite a few bad rolls.

numerek
2015-06-14, 09:12 AM
I don't really think it makes much a difference. So you can burn 6 sorcery points to cast Fireball at 4th level instead of 3rd. One additional d6 of damage. Instead, you could have spent 2 points to quicken the Fireball and then cast Fire Bolt. If we're talking single-target spells, you could instead have Twinned it to affect another creature. Even Empower Spell would probably be better, since you can reroll quite a few bad rolls.

right I tried to come up with ways that it is a worthwhile thing to do and the best things I could come up with I put above.

With this you can dispel magic against a spell one level higher without the ability check, same with counterspell, but even then it costs you alot of resources to do so.

The other doesn't even work since a sorcerer can't get bestow curse by itself.

casting fly at a higher level lets it apply to another person, you can do that with twinned for the 6th level 4th level slot but you can't for the 7th level 5th level slot.

scorching ray + hex(magic initiate) at a higher level slot is +3d6

Shaofoo
2015-06-14, 09:43 AM
Actually this can be used in a very cheesy and munchkin way to gain spells.

When you gain a spell from level up you can learn spells depending on the spell slots that you have. SO:

Make sure you are 3rd level and almost to 4th level.

Convert all your slots into spell points then back into a 5th level slot.

Gain the 4th level

Learn any spell from level 1 - 5 at 4th level since you have a 5th level slot at the time of level up.

I am not sure how practical this is, I bet horribly impractical. But it is funny that you could potentially cast high level spells by burning nearly all your other spells.

numerek
2015-06-14, 11:44 AM

When you gain a spell from level up you can learn spells depending on the spell slots that you have. SO:

Gain the 4th level

Learn any spell from level 1 - 5 at 4th level since you have a 5th level slot at the time of level up.

I am not sure how practical this is, I bet horribly impractical. But it is funny that you could potentially cast high level spells by burning nearly all your other spells.

Sorcerer points specifically say you can't have more than the number listed in the table for your level. which is why you have to be 6th level to create a 4th level spell slot and 7th level to create a 5th level spell slot.

numerek
2015-06-14, 11:47 AM
True. You don't learn a spell with it, but you can use it to cast a spell at a higher level. However, remember that the spellslots created vanish after a long rest.

For a discussion on your second sentence I refer you to Coffee Drow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?409694-The-Coffee-Drow-A-Sleepless-Sorclock)

Ashrym
2015-06-14, 01:26 PM
right I tried to come up with ways that it is a worthwhile thing to do and the best things I could come up with I put above.

With this you can dispel magic against a spell one level higher without the ability check, same with counterspell, but even then it costs you alot of resources to do so.

The other doesn't even work since a sorcerer can't get bestow curse by itself.

casting fly at a higher level lets it apply to another person, you can do that with twinned for the 6th level 4th level slot but you can't for the 7th level 5th level slot.

scorching ray + hex(magic initiate) at a higher level slot is +3d6

It beats twin if a person needs more than 2 targets and the spell scales targets by higher levels and the spell is concentration.

So expensive limited practical value.

ImSAMazing
2015-06-15, 05:41 AM

Gain the 4th level

This doesn't work. You need to take a long rest until you lvl up. In that case, "The spell slots created vanish"...

Shaofoo
2015-06-15, 07:39 AM
This doesn't work. You need to take a long rest until you lvl up. In that case, "The spell slots created vanish"...

I don't see anything that you have to take a long rest to gain a level, just that your character must reach the necessary XP total to advance to the next level, I believe you are confusing it for a common houserule where you could only actually gain levels during downtime so as not to gain levels during a quest. But if the DM wants to you can totally gain your level immediately after killing some enemies, in fact you could even gain your level mid fight if after killing an enemy your XP total will rise.

Also I do stand corrected but you could still learn a 4th level spell one level early and a 5th level spell two levels early. Of course this has very limited usefulness as you will have to waste a lot of resources to be able to cast a 5th level spell at a low level.

MadBear
2015-06-15, 07:44 AM
I don't see anything that you have to take a long rest to gain a level, just that your character must reach the necessary XP total to advance to the next level, I believe you are confusing it for a common houserule where you could only actually gain levels during downtime so as not to gain levels during a quest. But if the DM wants to you can totally gain your level immediately after killing some enemies, in fact you could even gain your level mid fight if after killing an enemy your XP total will rise.

Also I do stand corrected but you could still learn a 4th level spell one level early and a 5th level spell two levels early. Of course this has very limited usefulness as you will have to waste a lot of resources to be able to cast a 5th level spell at a low level.

looking through the book, it looks like you're right, and that you can get higher level spells earlier then normal.

In practice, I'd expect the only thing you'd really get out of it, is the the DM throwing a book at you in most cases. It's one of those corner cases where it's very obviously not the intent of the rules, even if it is technically allowed. Still that's a good find and an interesting hole in the rules.