PDA

View Full Version : [Tome of Prowess] Help with a pure mundane Factotum-type class WIP

tordirycgoyust
2015-06-13, 08:21 PM
Hey Playground.

I'm a fairly big fan of Tarkisflux's Tome of Prowess (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Tome_of_Prowess_(3.5e_Sourcebook)) due to the way it overhauls the useless and broken vanilla skill system to give melee nice things and generally raise the power floor a bit to Tier 3-4.

I'm also a fairly big fan of Frank and K's Tomes series (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Category:Tome), though I think they dropped the ball a bit with Races of War, as nice as the things they gave melee are.

The general idea here is to use the Tome Fighter (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Fighter,_Tome_(3.5e_Class)) chassis to make a Factotum-type class that doesn't need to rely on spells or SLAs, at a balance point of tier 2-3, but if it ends up being a tier 1 somehow I'm most definitely not complaining, since it would finally mean a tier 1 non-caster. I mean to accomplish this by nerfing the Tome Fighter's insane combat power to something less game breaking while giving actual options.

Table: Tome Factotum
Hit Die: d8
BAB: Full
Saves: All Good, or maybe choose 2 Good

Level
Special

Weapons Training

Combat Focus

Pack Mule

Problem Solver

Logistics Mastery

Active Assault

Forge Lore

Improved Delay

Foil Action

Bonus Feat

Lunging Attacks

Bonus Feat

Array of Stunts

Bonus Feat

Greater Combat Focus

Bonus Feat

Improved Foil Action

Bonus Feat

Intense Combat Focus

Supreme Combat Focus

Class Skills: 12/level (*4 at 1st) with every skill as a class skill (all 25 of them).

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the fighter.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Factotums are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. Factotums are proficient with light and medium armour, and with shields.

Weapons Training (Ex): Factotums train obsessively with armour and weapons of all kinds, and using a new weapon is easy and fun. By practicing with a weapon he is not proficient with for a day, a Factotum may permanently gain proficiency with that weapon by succeeding at an Intelligence check DC 10 (you may not take 10 on this check).

Combat Focus (Ex): A Factotum of 2nd level is at his best when the chips are down and everything is going to Baator in a handbasket. When the world is on fire, a Factotum keeps his head better than anyone. If the Factotum is in a situation that is stressful and/or dangerous enough that he would normally be unable to "take 10" on skill checks, he may spend a swift action to gain Combat Focus. A Fighter may end his Combat Focus at any time to reroll any die roll he makes, and if not used it ends on its own after a number of rounds equal to his Base Attack Bonus.

Bonus Feat: The Factotum gets a [Prowess] or [ToP Skill] feat at levels 10, 12, 14, 16, and 18. Or something. Here is where I really need help.

Pack Mule (Ex): Factotums are used to long journeys with a heavy pack and the use of a wide variety of weaponry and equipment. A 3rd level Factotums suffers no penalties for carrying a medium load, and may retrieve stored items from his person without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Problem Solver (Ex):A Factotum of 4th level can draw upon his intense and diverse training to respond to almost any situation. As a Swift action, he may choose any [Prowess] or [ToP Skill] feat he meets the prerequisites for and use it for a number of rounds equal to his ranks in that skill -3, to a minimum of 1 round. This ability may be used once per hour.

Logistics Mastery (Ex):Factotums are excellent and efficient logisticians. When a Factotum reaches 5th level, he takes only half as long to retrain his skills.

Active Assault (Ex):A 6th level Factotum can flawlessly place himself where he is most needed in combat. He may take a 5 foot step as an immediate action. This is in addition to any other movement he takes during his turn, even another 5 foot step.

Forge Lore (Ex): A 7th level Factotum gains Craft Item of Prowess as a bonus feat.

Improved Delay (Ex): A Factotums of 8th level may delay his action in one round without compromising his Initiative in the next round. In addition, a Factotums may interrupt another action with his delayed action like it was a readied action (though he does not have to announce his intentions before hand).

Foil Action (Ex):: A 9th level Factotum may attempt to monkeywrench any action an opponent is taking. The Fighter may throw sand into a beholder's eye, bat aside a key spell component, or strike a weapon hand with a thrown object, but the result is the same: the opponent's action is wasted, and any spell slots, limited ability uses, or the like used to power it are expended. A Factotum must be within 30 feet of his opponent to use this ability, and must hit with a touch attack or ranged touch attack. Using Foil Action is an Immediate action. A Factotum may not wait until an action is partially completed before deciding to attempt to foil the action, but must instead attempt to foil an action as it is declared. Note that this means that a Fighter may not foil a Full Attack (because it is not declared until after it has already begun), nor may he foil a move or charge action that began out of range.

At 17th level, Foil Action may be used at up to 60 feet. (Improved Foil Action)

I'm considering making this require a Reflex save as well as/instead of a touch attack.

Bonus Feat: The Factotum gets a [Prowess] or [ToP Skill] feat at levels 10, 12, 14, 16, and 18. Or something. Here is where I really need help.

Lunging Attacks (Ex): The battlefield is an extremely dangerous place, and 11th level Factotums are expected to hold off Elder Elementals, Hezrous, and Hamatulas. Factotums of this level may add 5 feet to the reach of any of their weapons

Array of Stunts (Ex): A 13th level Factotums may take one extra Immediate Action between his turns without sacrificing a Swift action during his next turn.

Greater Combat Focus (Ex): At 15th level, a Factotum may voluntarily expend his Combat Focus as a non-action to suppress any status effect or ongoing spell effect on himself for his Base Attack Bonus in rounds.

Intense Focus (Ex): A 19th level Factotum may take an extra Swift Action each round (in addition to the extra Immediate Action he can take from Array of Stunts).

Supreme Combat Focus (Ex): A 20th level Factotum may expend his Combat Focus as a non-action to take 20 on any die roll. He must elect to use Supreme Combat Focus before rolling the die.
---------------

So.

I need some way to give class features at mid-high levels that doesn't involve throwing scaling feats at the class like candy. The only way I've come up with so far would be to expand upon Logistics Mastery and Problem Solver. That seems like it would be a bit bland though.

I also need to make sure that Foil Action is balanced, and that Array of Stunts (and Intense Focus) works to head off the relative devaluing of skills after level 11 as intended, as well as a general balance check.

Sound good?