PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Sorcerous Origin: Gun Mage

dukeofwolfsgate
2015-06-13, 10:03 PM
Here is a homebrew sorcerous origin i made in an attempt to allow my players to experience the Iron Kingdoms setting. I've been running a game with old 3/3.5 rules for this setting, and have decided its time to convert to 5e. Here it is.

Sorcerous Origin: Gun Mage
Your innate magic is tied directly to your favored weapon, pistols*.

Bonded Pistol
At 1st level, you learn a ritual that creates a magical bond between yourself and one pistol. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. The pistol must be within your reach throughout the ritual, at the conclusion of which you touch the pistol and forge the bond. You may now use your bonded pistol as a spellcasting focus.
Once you have bonded a pistol to yourself, you can’t be disarmed of that pistol unless you are incapacitated. If it is on the same plane of existence, you can summon that pistol as a bonus action on your turn, causing it to teleport instantly to your hand. You can have up to two bonded pistols, but can summon only one at a time with your bonus action. If you attempt to bond with a third pistol, you must break the bond with one of the other two.

Bonus Proficiencies
At 1st level, you gain proficiency in light armor, simple weapons, and pistols. Pistols are considered a Light weapon when you wield them.

Extra Attack
Starting at 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once when you take the Attack action on your turn.

Improved Bond
At 14th level, you gain the ability to cast spells with the range of Touch at up to the normal range of your bonded pistol, so long as you are holding it. To do this you must spend metamagic points equal to the spell’s level. You use your Spell Save DC and Spell Attack Bonus for these spells.
You also gain the ability to “see” down the sights or out the end of the barrel of your bonded pistol, as tough your bonded pistol were a familiar.

Maelstrom
At 18th level, you may spend 5 metamagic points to use your action to make a ranged weapon attack against any number of creatures within your bonded pistol’s range. You must have ammunition already loaded for each target, as normal, and you make a separate attack roll for each target. However, you may ignore normal limitations on drawing pistols. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use this feature again.

*The term “pistol” refers to the Renaissance Pistol from pg. 268 of the DMG. If your DM agrees, this term can also apply to any or all of the following based on the setting: Revolvers, Automatic Pistols, and Laser Pistols. If there are no Firearms in this setting (or if the Player wishes to play this variant), the DM can also allow the Hand Crossbows to replace the Pistol in the above text.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Wartex1
2015-06-14, 12:18 AM
This should be moved to the Homebrew section.

Anyways, how does this Sorcerer get his/her power?

Paeleus
2015-06-14, 12:36 AM
This should be moved to the Homebrew section.

Anyways, how does this Sorcerer get his/her power?

From the White. Sounds like a magical Roland from The Dark Tower series.

dukeofwolfsgate
2015-06-14, 01:04 AM
how does this Sorcerer get his/her power?

I can't rewrite the entire entry from the rulebook, but here is a good link (http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2010/09/warmachine-lore-cygnar-gunmages.html) to explain more about their origin.

ImSAMazing
2015-06-14, 02:54 AM
Here is a homebrew sorcerous origin i made in an attempt to allow my players to experience the Iron Kingdoms setting. I've been running a game with old 3/3.5 rules for this setting, and have decided its time to convert to 5e. Here it is.

Sorcerous Origin: Gun Mage
Your innate magic is tied directly to your favored weapon, pistols*.

Bonded Pistol
At 1st level, you learn a ritual that creates a magical bond between yourself and one pistol. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. The pistol must be within your reach throughout the ritual, at the conclusion of which you touch the pistol and forge the bond. You may now use your bonded pistol as a spellcasting focus.
Once you have bonded a pistol to yourself, you can’t be disarmed of that pistol unless you are incapacitated. If it is on the same plane of existence, you can summon that pistol as a bonus action on your turn, causing it to teleport instantly to your hand. You can have up to two bonded pistols, but can summon only one at a time with your bonus action. If you attempt to bond with a third pistol, you must break the bond with one of the other two.

Bonus Proficiencies
At 1st level, you gain proficiency in light armor, simple weapons, and pistols. Pistols are considered a Light weapon when you wield them.

Extra Attack
Starting at 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once when you take the Attack action on your turn.

Improved Bond
At 14th level, you gain the ability to cast spells with the range of Touch at up to the normal range of your bonded pistol, so long as you are holding it. To do this you must spend metamagic points equal to the spell’s level. You use your Spell Save DC and Spell Attack Bonus for these spells.
You also gain the ability to “see” down the sights or out the end of the barrel of your bonded pistol, as tough your bonded pistol were a familiar.

Maelstrom
At 18th level, you may spend 5 metamagic points to use your action to make a ranged weapon attack against any number of creatures within your bonded pistol’s range. You must have ammunition already loaded for each target, as normal, and you make a separate attack roll for each target. However, you may ignore normal limitations on drawing pistols. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use this feature again.

*The term “pistol” refers to the Renaissance Pistol from pg. 268 of the DMG. If your DM agrees, this term can also apply to any or all of the following based on the setting: Revolvers, Automatic Pistols, and Laser Pistols. If there are no Firearms in this setting (or if the Player wishes to play this variant), the DM can also allow the Hand Crossbows to replace the Pistol in the above text.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Hmm, it isn´t bad, however, remember it´s a SORCERER, one of the full spellcasters with a Hit Dice of 1d6... You can´t give him 2 attacks, after lvl 7 he gets lvl 4-lvl 9 spells, first he wont ever use it, second he doesn't need it with it's cantrips... ITS A SORCERER

Wartex1
2015-06-14, 10:37 AM
Favored Soul gets extra attacks as well.

Inchoroi
2015-06-14, 11:16 AM
Favored Soul gets extra attacks as well.

Seems to me he should be firing his cantrips through his gun, maybe expending sorcery points to do interesting things with them? I don't think the extra attack is bad or overpowered, though, just not exactly as flavorful as it could be.

Also...it occurs to me that Wizard is probably a better option for a Gunmage.

Submortimer
2015-06-14, 07:55 PM
Hmm, it isn´t bad, however, remember it´s a SORCERER, one of the full spellcasters with a Hit Dice of 1d6... You can´t give him 2 attacks, after lvl 7 he gets lvl 4-lvl 9 spells, first he wont ever use it, second he doesn't need it with it's cantrips... ITS A SORCERER

What a class is intended to be and what you can do with it are two different things entirely. When he runs out of spells for the day during a long dungeon crawl, when he's face to face with the antimagic eye of a beholder, when he's fighting a raksasha...these are times he's gonna be happy that he has a handy-dandy gun to fall back on.

ImSAMazing
2015-06-15, 05:48 AM
What a class is intended to be and what you can do with it are two different things entirely. When he runs out of spells for the day during a long dungeon crawl, when he's face to face with the antimagic eye of a beholder, when he's fighting a raksasha...these are times he's gonna be happy that he has a handy-dandy gun to fall back on.

I understand that, but why the SORCERER? A wizard might be better, because he is a student, a sorcerer gains his power from a bloodline or out of pure chaos.

Madfellow
2015-06-15, 07:41 AM
The OP went with sorcerer because in the Iron Kingdoms, gun mages are described as sorcerers. IK originated as a 3rd edition DnD setting wherin all sorcerers get their magic from Thamar, the goddess of magic.

ImSAMazing
2015-06-15, 08:24 AM
The OP went with sorcerer because in the Iron Kingdoms, gun mages are described as sorcerers. IK originated as a 3rd edition DnD setting wherin all sorcerers get their magic from Thamar, the goddess of magic.

Hmm. Ok, for me, it's still a weird choice. Also, why does this class gets Pistol proficiency(Exotic Weapon)? Even fighter/other martial classes don't get Pistol proficiency

Tenmujiin
2015-06-15, 11:39 AM
Hmm. Ok, for me, it's still a weird choice. Also, why does this class gets Pistol proficiency(Exotic Weapon)? Even fighter/other martial classes don't get Pistol proficiency

Maybe because its the entire premise of the sub-class?

Edit: also, I would give the sub-class a list of 1-2 spells of each level that they know in addition to their normal spells known, to bring them inline with the sorcerer sub-classes that have been released since the PHB. (I realize they are WIP but when wizards release multiple sub-classes with the same difference from the originals they are probably trying to tell us something). I'd avoid giving them many spells not on the normal sorcerer spell list though since the pistol proficiency is already strong.