PDA

View Full Version : Optimization a little help

Dimers
2015-06-13, 11:54 PM
Hi. I'm trying to make good use of the 3.5 spell pyrotechnics. I want to take a number of teeny magical fire sources equal to my caster level, attach them to some object, move that object into the midst of my enemies (possibly thrown by an ally), and use Chain Spell to force that number of saves vs blindness (2-5 rounds) for everything within 120'.

I insist on doing this undebatably and with something that already exists in a generally-allowable sourcebook. So for instance, a bunch of continual flame spells won't do the job -- they could easily be considered NOT a fire source. A tindertwig would have the same problem (in addition to being used up because it's not magical, just alchemical). I also want to keep the cost down, so while a bunch of activated +1 Diminutive daggers of fire would probably fit the definition, they wouldn't fit the budget.

So. Any suggestions for a source of fire that is clearly magical, quite small, and inexpensive? Bonus points if it avoid Pathfinder, and more bonus points if it's something that can easily be done by the more common base classes that get the spell and high spell levels: sorc/wizard, wu jen or warmage.

Also, any opinions (or RAW) on whether the smoke cloud option of pyrotechnics would stack with itself? I lean away from using that just because I'd expect more DMs to shoot it down.

Extra Anchovies
2015-06-14, 12:04 AM
Cast Servant Horde (Spell Compendium) at the start of the day, hand each servant a flaming shuriken (40 gp each). Command them to surround your enemies at the start of each combat.

Venger
2015-06-14, 12:38 AM
Hi. I'm trying to make good use of the 3.5 spell pyrotechnics. I want to take a number of teeny magical fire sources equal to my caster level, attach them to some object, move that object into the midst of my enemies (possibly thrown by an ally), and use Chain Spell to force that number of saves vs blindness (2-5 rounds) for everything within 120'.

I insist on doing this undebatably and with something that already exists in a generally-allowable sourcebook. So for instance, a bunch of continual flame spells won't do the job -- they could easily be considered NOT a fire source. A tindertwig would have the same problem (in addition to being used up because it's not magical, just alchemical). I also want to keep the cost down, so while a bunch of activated +1 Diminutive daggers of fire would probably fit the definition, they wouldn't fit the budget.

So. Any suggestions for a source of fire that is clearly magical, quite small, and inexpensive? Bonus points if it avoid Pathfinder, and more bonus points if it's something that can easily be done by the more common base classes that get the spell and high spell levels: sorc/wizard, wu jen or warmage.

Also, any opinions (or RAW) on whether the smoke cloud option of pyrotechnics would stack with itself? I lean away from using that just because I'd expect more DMs to shoot it down.

couple things:

1) you can't apply chain spell to pyrotechnics. it's against the rules. it only works with spells that have a single creature as the target, such as enervation or dominate person.
2) continual flame could absolutely not be considered "not a flame" if you're playing by the rules:

A flame, equivalent in brightness to a torch, springs forth from an object that you touch.(emphasis mine)
3) no. untyped penalties from the same source never stack. same as how you can't hit omeone with 2+ rays of enfeeblement.

carry some fire shuriken around. have your caster conjure them up in downtime and then disseminate them however (the aforementioned servant horde, collar of perpetual attendence, whatever)

Dimers
2015-06-14, 12:40 AM
Cast Servant Horde (Spell Compendium) at the start of the day, hand each servant a flaming shuriken (40 gp each). Command them to surround your enemies at the start of each combat.

Hmmm ... interesting thought, and it'd more than suffice for the number of targets I want. Unseen servants are slow, though (15'), can't go beyond the spell's range (Close), and can get wiped by almost any AoE damage (6hp).

Hm indeed. *taps chin thoughtfully*

1) you can't apply chain spell to pyrotechnics. it's against the rules. it only works with spells that have a single creature as the target, such as enervation or dominate person.

Eh? As written in Complete Arcane, it's any single-TARGET spell ...

(emphasis mine)

It can certainly be considered "not a fire source", is what I'm saying. Pyrotechnics doesn't care about flames, only fire sources.

nedz
2015-06-14, 10:27 AM
Summon a Fire Elemental — possibly several.

There's even a Reserve feat, Summon Elemental, which would save on your spell slots.

denthor
2015-06-14, 02:31 PM
does the enemy have or need torches?

Your spell uses any fire source if you are neutral and able to summon a fire elemental large enough then you can use it multiple times.

CelestialSloth
2015-06-14, 04:08 PM
You could set a net on fire and then throw it. Or throw a net and then a torch at the net.
I like the flame shuriken idea.