PDA

View Full Version : AC Mages

TempusCCK
2007-04-25, 03:21 PM
Seeing as how everyone is getting in on the speculation, I've got a topic we can get some crazy insight on.

What happened to Azure City's many mages? In Redcloaks analysis of the battle, and in Hinjo's war council it was mentioned that Azure City has spellcasters waiting up on the Castle to watch over the battlefield and affect it as they will. Well, where are these guys? Why has the battle gone on for so long without us seeing even a smidgeon of activity from these blue-robed masters of manipulation?

jindra34
2007-04-25, 03:22 PM
The high level ones fell back to the tower... i think...

RMS Oceanic
2007-04-25, 03:22 PM
If one looks at strip 413, all mid-to-high level clerics, and all arcane casters, have been positioned inside the castle, in order to defend Soon's Gate.

TempusCCK
2007-04-25, 03:26 PM
That's not quite what Hinjo says, if I may be liberal with quotes, it was something like....

"..arcane spellcasters should stay back in the castle where they can get a better view of the whole battle."

To imply that while yes, they may be guarding Soon's Gate, they would be paying attention to the battle to assume that they may play some important role.

jindra34
2007-04-25, 03:28 PM
Then spell ranges come into effect... the castle is probably big enough that most spells cannot reach across it... again sorry...

MReav
2007-04-25, 03:44 PM
I think they should be summoning help.

I mean, a few Ghaeles should be a decent increase. Creeps with 5 HD or less need to make a will save DC 18 (usually, and assuming no one uses Eagle's Splendor to crank it up to 20, and yes, undead are affected), and the Trumpet Archons to paralyse the rear ranks, removing archers from the fight.

Of course, if it were possible, I would get a Titan in on the action. Chain Lightning at Will, Firestorm Greater Dispel Magic, Holy Smite, all at will. All that good stuff. I would use Firestorm to maximum effect, every round I could take out 40 10 foot cubes worth of opponents for 20d6 damage (clearing out over 400 square feet of low rate hobgoblins at medium range, or up to 300 feet). Coupled with good DR and really good SR, and a nearly unhittable AC for low rate opponents, they'll do to the Hobbo's troops what the Titanium elementals did to AC, and then some.

Legendary
2007-04-25, 11:19 PM
They're saving that stuff for the final assault Xykon has planned.

Silverlocke980
2007-04-25, 11:51 PM
I'd argue that it's sheer range. I doubt Azure City has Warmages, who are something akin to wizardly artillery- point at target and it goes BOOM, since a Warmage's skill set generally includes at least one long-range spell.

Azure City probably has simple Mages, who don't have quite the distance on their fireballs needed to effect the fighting at the front lines.

On a side note, what about moving the mages now? Having kept them off the walls until the first few rounds kept them safe from artillery, but how about having them scale the walls now to help repulse the invasion? It would keep them protected from the siege weaponry and long-range attackers when the hobgoblin soldiers were too far back for them to hit, but get them right where they are needed when the action's thickest.

Just an idea. ;)