PDA

View Full Version : Why is hitting people with rulebooks encouraged?

roko10
2015-06-14, 04:02 AM
I mean, last time I checked, hitting people with thick, heavy things is frowned upon. I don't really think tabletop RPG's are an exception from that.

Unless it is a joke. In that case, I dun goofed.

AmberVael
2015-06-14, 04:07 AM
I'm pretty sure its not meant seriously, except maybe in the sense of pretending to do it.

Silva Stormrage
2015-06-14, 04:12 AM
Ya its just a standard joke for what to do if your players are just being really really stupid :smalltongue:

Its more of slapstick, you could substitute it for "Smack across the back of the head" or something similar if you wanted to. Hit them with flying books is just funnier and its a particular tabletop thing.

Keltest
2015-06-14, 04:12 AM
"Throw the rulebook at them" generally means "Tell them with words to quit whatever theyre doing." Nobody actually expects you to hurt the poor rulebook like that.

Hawkstar
2015-06-14, 04:20 AM
I mean, last time I checked, hitting people with thick, heavy things is frowned upon.Eh, not really, especially since Rulebooks aren't really capable of hurting someone (Unless you're really trying to hurt them). It's just a really relevant-shaped slapstick (That goes "Whap" instead of "Slap")

goto124
2015-06-14, 05:49 AM
Don't forget 'throw the dice at them'.

Also, I thought rulebook-throwing is done against rules-lawyers.

Amphetryon
2015-06-14, 06:14 AM
A few years ago, hammer-guns were in vogue. It's just an RPG trope.

Kalmageddon
2015-06-14, 06:53 AM
I mean, last time I checked, hitting people with thick, heavy things is frowned upon. I don't really think tabletop RPG's are an exception from that.

I feel like you have some personal stakes in this.
Has this actually happened to you, by any chance?

Anonymouswizard
2015-06-14, 07:27 AM
Eh, not really, especially since Rulebooks aren't really capable of hurting someone (Unless you're really trying to hurt them). It's just a really relevant-shaped slapstick (That goes "Whap" instead of "Slap")

Yeah, hitting people with the rulebook is something I've occasionally done, usually as a 'stop powergaming' joke. I'd never actually throw it because I can't pull the hit.

Also, I thought rulebook-throwing is done against rules-lawyers.

Never heard throw the dice at them, but then again dice pelting in my groups either means hurry up or the GM's wife is just feeling a bit mean.

DigoDragon
2015-06-14, 08:57 AM
In my old group, throwing books at someone was a ban-able offense. You could seriously hurt someone. >.>

I think the strongest I allowed was a soft-dart Nerf gun and only fired at stomach or below. Still, was a distracting thing so I discouraged people throwing anything at each other.

goto124
2015-06-14, 09:07 AM
Should buy some plush books to throw at people's skulls.

Better yet, sew your own. Can even make a cover similar to whatever actual rulebook you use!

roko10
2015-06-14, 09:11 AM
I feel like you have some personal stakes in this.
Has this actually happened to you, by any chance?

No, but I'm scared that it will happen to me if I somehow managed to create something that would be considered cheese, even though I didn't intend it that way.

Psyren
2015-06-14, 09:46 AM

You dun goofed.

DigoDragon
2015-06-14, 01:18 PM
Should buy some plush books to throw at people's skulls.
Better yet, sew your own. Can even make a cover similar to whatever actual rulebook you use!

One of my friends got my daughter a plush dice set. At one point she threw them at people who rolled 1s.

I don't remember how that got started. Thankfully it was short lived because my daughter threw at point blank when it was me rolling 1s. :smallbiggrin:

TheThan
2015-06-14, 02:38 PM
I’ve taken proficiency in dice throwing. It synergizes with my gambling skill and allows me to hock my heavy iron dice at people (they're weighted for throwing).

Strigon
2015-06-14, 05:33 PM
No, but I'm scared that it will happen to me if I somehow managed to create something that would be considered cheese, even though I didn't intend it that way.

You'd have to be pretty bad to be in any danger. Game-breakingly, or just completely ignorant of common sense (See: Invisible Tower Shield).
But don't forget it's not just about cheese, it's about behaviour. No PVP, and try not to completely derail the campaign.

Amphetryon
2015-06-14, 06:26 PM
I’ve taken proficiency in dice throwing. It synergizes with my gambling skill and allows me to hock my heavy iron dice at people (they're weighted for throwing).

Had a demonstration of this technique at my game today, though fortunately not with metal dice or a direct hit.

Maglubiyet
2015-06-14, 07:21 PM
Rulebooks are preferable to period-replica weapons. The cleanup with the books is much easier and you won't have your wife keep hounding you about "where that stain came from".

It's ketchup, honey. We spilled a whole bottle of it that night Phil left town and was never seen again.

Dimers
2015-06-14, 08:49 PM
Rulebooks are preferable to period-replica weapons.

Particularly when playing Shadowrun or SWSE. :smallwink:

veti
2015-06-14, 09:41 PM
In my old group, throwing books at someone was a ban-able offense. You could seriously hurt someone. >.>

I think the strongest I allowed was a soft-dart Nerf gun and only fired at stomach or below. Still, was a distracting thing so I discouraged people throwing anything at each other.

You need some kind of allowed physical impact, and nerf is (by design) about as harmless as it's possible to be unless you start modifying the ammo. I guess you could throw "scrunched-up character sheets" instead, but that's probably about as dangerous as nerf.

Mr Beer
2015-06-15, 12:17 AM
If you put 20 or so metal dice in a sock and swing it into someone's temple, someone who is constantly arguing with your perfectly rational and correct DM rulings, then you can concuss them quite badly and they might require medical attention.

That's what I heard anyway.

TheThan
2015-06-15, 12:19 AM
If you put 20 or so metal dice in a sock and swing it into someone's temple, someone who is constantly arguing with your perfectly rational and correct DM rulings, then you can concuss them quite badly and they might require medical attention.

That's what I heard anyway.

But do they agree with you afterward. That's the real question

WolfLordBran
2015-06-15, 12:40 AM
One of the DM's for my group actually has a Nerf Mace... I've tried to squirrel it away to use when I'm running games, though given one of my players a cattle prod might be more appropriate... :smallannoyed:

ShadowFighter15
2015-06-16, 02:27 AM
Other hobbies have similar jokes - Warmachine players, for instance, joke that the main deterrent for cheating is a Juggernaut (http://privateerpress.com/files/products/33063_Juggernaut_WEB.jpg) in a sock. It had a bit more impact back when the models were made of metal (they're using resin-plastic now).

Brookshw
2015-06-16, 06:07 AM

Well they sure don't disagree anymore :smallamused:

Brother Oni
2015-06-16, 07:14 AM

Unless you're throwing d4s, in which case you mean to hurt them in a cruel and unusual fashion.

Well they sure don't disagree anymore :smallamused:

At least, not until they wake up. :smalltongue:

Hawkstar
2015-06-16, 09:32 AM
Did someone have a medical condition that leaves them vulnerable to severe injury (such as hemophilia)? Or...

(they're using resin-plastic now).....WHAT?! WHAT IS THIS BLASPHEMY!? WARMACHINE is supposed to be Full Metal Fantasy!

TheThan
2015-06-16, 01:47 PM
....WHAT?! WHAT IS THIS BLASPHEMY!? WARMACHINE is supposed to be Full Metal Fantasy!

I'm glad others feel my pain. (long time warmachine player).

The Glyphstone
2015-06-16, 02:06 PM
Yeah, it's a travesty. Play Like You Got A Pair...of soft padded rubber gloves, apparently.

Flickerdart
2015-06-16, 02:14 PM
This is why every table should own at least one plush mace.

blacklight101
2015-06-16, 03:07 PM
And it would have been used on me quite vigorously last game. 'Cause I totally didn't break the game when the DM swore for the two weeks leading up to it he was going to get a TPK. I totally didn't build the majority of the sheets at the table either (four out of seven). Nor am I a quickly-becoming-notorious-for-it minmaxer (at least in my circle of friends) after the last two games.

Also not my fault I showed him a couple builds I tinkered with and he picked the Glass Cannon, the biggest damage dealer of the three (D&D 3.5, lv 8 oneshot) and it kind of broke his game. Frenzy is a mean thing when it means 2d6+1d6(acid)+29 on a not crit (18-20 x2). For 10 rounds. At 3 (before cleave) attacks per round.

I digress though.

tl;dr, I deserve the mace. It should be standard issue at any table.

Feddlefew
2015-06-16, 05:24 PM
Seat cushions aren't a thing when you guys game? They're the perfect size for bopping unruly players with, and they fit comfortable between your butt and the seat when not being used for rule enforcement.

Also, I once pelted a player with popcorn for stealing my cookies while I was cat wrangling. Good times.

Ettina
2015-06-16, 05:31 PM
Did someone have a medical condition that leaves them vulnerable to severe injury (such as hemophilia)? Or...

Hardcover books can do a good bit of damage even if you don't have any medical issue. Any concussion that noticeably affects consciousness to any degree can cause permanent harm. (I'm a psych major, and in neuropsych classes our profs talk a great deal about the dangers of concussions. Even if there are no obvious lasting effects, it can cause subtle brain damage that can build up with repeated injuries or put you at higher risk of neurodegenerative disorders.)

Mr Beer
2015-06-16, 06:49 PM

Once the room stops spinning and the blood is all mopped up. Head wounds can be overly dramatic, it's all fine when everyone calms down.

Feddlefew
2015-06-16, 07:13 PM
Once the room stops spinning and the blood is all mopped up. Head wounds can be overly dramatic, it's all fine when everyone calms down.

Scalp injuries are overly dramatic, with blood going everywhere; concussions, on the other hand, can cause someone to drop dead after a few hours of appearing to be fine from internal swelling and/or bleeding. Head injuries can also cause spinal injuries, from whiplash or from the aforementioned swelling and bleeding.

GungHo
2015-06-17, 10:21 AM
You shouldn't hit people with books, Johnny. My mother hit me with a book once...

Once.

Bard1cKnowledge
2015-06-18, 03:29 PM
Since when is this allowed? If anyone hits a person with a book at my able I will subtly mention that chickens and humans share similar bone structure, and I work in a kitchen

Milo v3
2015-06-23, 10:05 PM
You shouldn't hit people with books, Johnny. My mother hit me with a book once...

Once.

This is why GitP should allow liking posts. :smalltongue:

Amphetryon
2015-06-24, 07:30 AM

Once.

Your last name wouldn't happen to be an adverb, would it?

noob
2015-06-24, 07:43 AM
Books are cools weapons in game if they are enough heavy but the players throwing them are so powerful it is nearly cheating.

Hawkstar
2015-06-24, 07:49 AM
Since when is this allowed?Since before people went crazy terrified of the tiny threat of serious harm that can result from friendly blows, and started deciding that the appropriate response to whaps, baps, thumps, sucker punches, and other nonserious strikes are stabbing, shooting, or bringing in the Government's Fist on the offender.

If anyone hits a person with a book at my able I will subtly mention that chickens and humans share similar bone structure, and I work in a kitchenExcept they don't, beyond 'is a bipedal vertebrate'.
Books are cools weapons in game if they are enough heavy but the players throwing them are so powerful it is nearly cheating.

That's why you have tables, chairs, and books of your own!

A Tad Insane
2015-06-24, 09:13 AM
An average size rule book (3.5 player handbook), even hard cover, isn't going to do any sort of lasting harm if you hit them with the broadside of it, unless you're trying to cause serious pain. Trust me.
One of my fellow group mate was purposely setting off every trap in a boss battle, so I started hitting him on the back, and he was fine. He recently had a rib removed, but I'm sure it's unrelated.

roko10
2015-06-24, 10:29 AM
Since before people went crazy terrified of the tiny threat of serious harm that can result from friendly blows, and started deciding that the appropriate response to whaps, baps, thumps, sucker punches, and other nonserious strikes are stabbing, shooting, or bringing in the Government's Fist on the offender.

Except they don't, beyond 'is a bipedal vertebrate'.

....I think that's the joke.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-06-25, 12:13 PM
Eh, not really, especially since Rulebooks aren't really capable of hurting someone

Yeah, they're not in the weapons table and my dex bonus is crap anyway.

O wait, thrown weapons use strtoo late... :smalleek:

mr_odd
2015-06-25, 04:16 PM
Rulebooks only do D3 + 1/2 STR damage. You might want to find a more suitable weapon.

AMFV
2015-06-26, 01:06 AM

If they can't remember the argument, then they agree by forfeiture.

Jay R
2015-06-26, 09:29 AM
Serious answer: Nobody is actually suggesting hitting people with books. It's a figure of speech.

Texan answer: Because some people just need hittin' with books.

Honest Tiefling
2015-06-26, 03:17 PM
Civilized people should challenge one another to duels instead of randomly whacking them. Pull out the white glove and demand a duel by rulebooks at dawn tomorrow behind the 7-11.

Keltest
2015-06-26, 03:24 PM
Civilized people should challenge one another to duels instead of randomly whacking them. Pull out the white glove and demand a duel by rulebooks at dawn tomorrow behind the 7-11.

You mean your town doesn't have an arena for rulebook duels and dice throwdowns? Wow. Ok, im not judging you or anything, but...

Honest Tiefling
2015-06-26, 03:27 PM
You mean your town doesn't have an arena for rulebook duels and dice throwdowns? Wow. Ok, im not judging you or anything, but...

Yeah I know. For some reason people thought that areas for children and the elderly were more important for some bizarre reason. I mean, I get the dogs, but children!?

Also, the 7-11 has free slushy day.

Slipperychicken
2015-06-26, 03:52 PM

You'd think that would be a thing at gaming stores. Just push the tables to a side, and throw open a trapdoor leading to a basement reserved for gaming-related violence.

Anonymouswizard
2015-06-26, 03:56 PM
You'd think that would be a thing at gaming stores. Just push the tables to a side, and throw open a trapdoor leading to a basement reserved for gaming-related violence.

And the first rule of knight club is...

Honest Tiefling
2015-06-26, 05:45 PM

Apparently not complaining about the smell or lack of ventilation.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-06-27, 03:56 AM

If this is your first time here, you must knight?

Pluto!
2015-06-27, 10:20 PM
Good drubbings make good players.

ShadowFighter15
2015-07-17, 07:08 PM
....WHAT?! WHAT IS THIS BLASPHEMY!? WARMACHINE is supposed to be Full Metal Fantasy!

I'm glad others feel my pain. (long time warmachine player).

Don't worry; there's still plenty of metal 'beasts, 'jacks and 'casters. Infantry units seem to be switching over as well (although that does have the upshot of now having just one box with a full-sized unit and any weapon attachments available to the unit - the new r-p Kriel Warriors, for instance, have the full ten-man (well okay, seven-man-and-three-woman) unit plus three Caber Thrower weapon attachments). Colossals and Gargantuans are combination material kits (understandable since that much metal would be stupidly-expensive and heavy as all getout), solos seem to still be all-metal and warcasters and warlocks are both all metal unless they're a particularly large one (like the new battle engine ones like Servath Reznik, Wrath of Ages (http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/the-protectorate-of-menoth/warcasters/servath-reznik-wrath-of-ages)).

Couple of things are in a new hard-plastic, akin to what GW's been using for their kits for ages. Only stuff using it at the moment is the Convergence's battle engine (http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/convergence-of-cyriss/battle-engines/transfinite-emergence-projector-permutation-servitors) and the upcoming plastic Stormclad (http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/cygnar/warjacks/stormclad)/Reliant (http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/cygnar/warjacks/reliant) kit.