PDA

View Full Version : Making an "Artifact" Crown

Blackhawk748
2015-06-14, 10:02 AM
Im planning an E6 campaign set in the borderlands of the remains of a psuedo Roman Empire and one of the plots i want to use is based on The Drowning of Kroesus and the Crown of Sorrow from Races of Stone (im gonna mesh the two together)

The story goes like this: Years ago, the Dwarves had a great underground city called Kroesus ruled over by King Feodin, and it was the jewel of the Borderlands. But disaster struck when the Beastkin struck the Kingdoms allies, the Great Empire. The Empire was sacked and burned before Feodin could rally the Dwarves to its aid. During this catastrophe the Dark Horde descended upon Kroesus. Led by a cabal composed of a Fiend, an Eye Tyrant, a Mind Flayer, and a Hag coven, the horde took the surface city of Kundrakar and laid siege to Kroesus. The siege lasted for 2 years with the Horde eventually destroying the main gate, pouring in to the city.

King Feodin stood tall and faced the Fiend in single combat, ordering his Royal Guard to leave with the citizens who could escape, they obeyed reluctantly while their king fought. Eventually King Feodin was overcome by the beast and his crown taken, for that was the cabal's true purpose in sacking Kroesus. The crown was split between the members, The Hags, Mind Flayer and Eye Tyrant each getting one of the Three Gems in the Crown and the Fiend getting the Crown itself. Each of the cabal then claimed a part of the area for themselves. The Hags took the wilds outside of Kundrakar, the Mind Flayer too Kundrakar itself, the Eye Tyrant claimed the extensive mines in between Kundrakar and Kroesus and the Fiend claimed Kroesus for himself.

And with the fall of the Great Empire Kroesus exact location has fallen to myth, and with the advent of the Wax Forest it seems as if it may remain that way.

Ok so to sum things up a Cabal of Bad Guys took the city for the kings crown and each one (except the Fiend) got one of the Gems in it. So i need them do something pretty sweet. Im already gonna have the Crown be a permanent item of Mind Blank, i just need the rest to do something cool, so im looking for ideas. Thanks in advance.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-06-14, 10:17 AM
One of the gems should provide offensive power. I suggest either a large luck bonus to attack and damage or maybe a use activated item of Righteous Might as cast by a 20th level cleric. Whenever they enter battle they get bigger, tougher, and stronger.

Blackhawk748
2015-06-14, 10:48 AM
One of the gems should provide offensive power. I suggest either a large luck bonus to attack and damage or maybe a use activated item of Righteous Might as cast by a 20th level cleric. Whenever they enter battle they get bigger, tougher, and stronger.

This is good. I think the Hags would appreciate having a bigger Annis with them.

I also realized that i should give some info on the cabal.

The Hag Coven consists of a Green Hag, an Annis Hag and a Marzanna. Fairly typical for hags, they have ogres and Duergar as their minions.

The Mind Flayer is using the Psionic Variant and he has most of the Denizens of Kundrakar under his power, he is using a crystal (maybe the Crown Gem) to boost his abilities.

The Eye Tyrant is a modified Beholder (im reducing him to about CR 9 or 10) who simply makes forays into the Underdark to get raw materials for his experiments.

The Fiend is actually a Half Troll Mineral Warrior Unholy Scion Azurin Incarnate, who was possessed by a powerful Fiendish entity as a child. He used Dark and Terrible TM rituals to add the other templates to himself. He has flooded Kroesus with Incarnum and as such the bodies have animated as Incarnum zombies, and they wont stay down.