PDA

View Full Version : [PEACH] In combat benefits for mental ability scores.

The Vagabond
2015-06-14, 01:40 PM
Primarily because I don't really like the idea of the fact that mental stats have a bad habit of being dumped by martials, I'd LOVE to put some more direct-Combat use into them, rather than none. As such, I want to see what you all think about the following house rules:

Will- Will can be based upon Charisma or Wisdom, the person's choice.
Note: If you use Charisma for Will, you cannot use

If you do not have spellcasting or will based on Charisma, you gain a pool of action points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionPoints.htm) up to their Charisma modifier, plus one per four character levels (Cha mod +1/4 level). You regain up to half of your max every week (Minimum one). Action Points are gained upon rolling a natural one or twenty on any d20 roll and permitting something bad to happen to your character (State upon discovery of roll), or at the end of every week, on the weekday you were born. You begin play with half your maximum action points.

Action points are used up just as listed on the SRD

If you do not have spellcasting or will saves based off of Wisdom, You may learn from various characters throughout the world, how to perform Martial Maneuvers. You may learn a number of Maneuvers equal to your Wisdom modifier. You must spend a full round action to recover your maneuvers.
You must have a free hand open to use Maneuvers gained this way.

The only thing left is finding something to use Inteligence for- Ideas would be helpful.

wooglycakes
2015-06-14, 02:06 PM
In my homebrew, I've taken a page out of 4th Edition and keyed each saving throw to two different ability scores. Fortitude is now Strength and Constitution, Reflex is Dexterity and Wisdom, and Will is Intelligence and Charisma. To offset this I've increased how Difficulty Classes scale, and lowered the scaling on good saving throws — but mostly, I hope this leads to players being less willing to set an ability score to 7 and take a −2 to a saving throw, usually the one with bad scaling.

However, I like the idea of active uses for mental ability scores much better. Here's a couple of ideas:

Focus: As a move action, the character takes a moment to assess the situation and take advantage of momentary weaknesses. He gains a bonus on his next attack and damage roll (or combat maneuver check, in Pathfinder) equal to his Intelligence modifier before the start of his next turn.

Possible Other Benefits:
- The character can immediately take a 5-foot step if he attacks after focusing.
- The character's combat maneuver after focusing does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
- Reduce any damage reduction of the character's target by his Intelligence modifier.

Emulate: As a move action, the character can attempt a special Intelligence or a Sense Motive check with a DC equal to 10 + ½ the target combatant's Hit Dice (or opposed Bluff check, if the target is attempting to hide his martial prowess). If he succeeds, the character gains the benefits of one fighter bonus feat or martial maneuver that the target has until the end of his next turn.