PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Nature-themed non-caster, non-shaper, non-rager classes?

heros271
2015-06-14, 01:57 PM
As in title.
My character want to avoid all magic...

Fist of the Forest have semi-rage, but is still ok, I guess...
Forest Revee is ok.

Desert-based classes would be ok, anything based on water would not.

Mr.Sandman
2015-06-14, 02:08 PM
There is a magicless Ranger variant in Unearthed Arcana, I believe.

heros271
2015-06-14, 02:22 PM
Yeah, already using it.

Psyren
2015-06-14, 02:31 PM
Have you looked at Scout?

Venger
2015-06-14, 02:49 PM
As in title.
My character want to avoid all magic...

Fist of the Forest have semi-rage, but is still ok, I guess...
Forest Revee is ok.

Desert-based classes would be ok, anything based on water would not.

you're gonna have a bad time. classe without magic need magic the most in the form of buff spells and items. it is impossible to survive without magic of some kind.

but if that's what you're after, forsaker from masters of the wild. you hate magic and smash magic items all day erryday.

you could always just roll a meldshaper. they're a lot of fun. go totemist to fit in with your wild beast-man vibe, which I think is what you're going for.

heros271
2015-06-14, 03:03 PM
Oh, she is afraid of *magic*, not magic items.

Incarnum - ok, Tome of Battle - only one ability and that's only because I needed one feat. Divine, Arcane casting, Manifesting - nope. Soulknife - nope.

Dunsparce
2015-06-14, 03:04 PM
The "Champion of the Wild" Ranger variant from Complete Champion gives up spells for bonus feats, thus creating a spell-less nature themed class out of the box.

Venger
2015-06-14, 03:08 PM
Oh, she is afraid of *magic*, not magic items.

Incarnum - ok, Tome of Battle - only one ability and that's only because I needed one feat. Divine, Arcane casting, Manifesting - nope. Soulknife - nope.

okay then. here's the totemist (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2943.0) and here's the incarnate (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6920.0)

totemist is all about natural attacks and also does some other stuff, incarnate's a random grabbag of abilities, so see which one you'd like to play. totemist is a better class, so is much easier if it's your first time using the subsystem.

heros271
2015-06-14, 03:20 PM
Already using Champion of the Wild, as well as other two swaps from same book (and page).

Considered taking Totemist, but build would be bit too strong ihmo (low-optimization campaign, start from lvl 1).

ATM it's:
Ranger 1
Fast Movement +10 (from wildshape variant)
Spiritual Connection (replace Wild Empathy)
Favored Enemy (Arcanists)

Feats:
Track (ranger)
Carmendine Monk (Lvl 1)
Martial Study (Distracting Ember) (Flaw 1)
Weapon Finesse (Flaw 2)

40 ft movement speed and +2 Dex is only really important thing from race. With trait it give me total of 60ft, at cost if 1 hp/level.

In next 8 levels it's either Ranger 2/Monk 6 or Ranger 2/Monk 3/Fist of the Forest 3, depending on FotF/Monk multiclass issue (want to get monk 6, or at least 4). Yes, Ascetic Hunter is my lvl 3 feat, because else I won't be able to progress Monk after taking Ranger at lvl 5. (ok, there is also Martial Tradition, but it's basically Ascetic Hunter on diet)

Venger
2015-06-14, 03:25 PM
Already using Champion of the Wild, as well as other two swaps from same book (and page).

Considered taking Totemist, but build would be bit too strong ihmo (low-optimization campaign, start from lvl 1).

ATM it's:
Ranger 1
Fast Movement +10 (from wildshape variant)
Spiritual Connection (replace Wild Empathy)
Favored Enemy (Arcanists)

Feats:
Track (ranger)
Carmendine Monk (Lvl 1)
Martial Study (Distracting Ember) (Flaw 1)
Weapon Finesse (Flaw 2)

40 ft movement speed and +2 Dex is only really important thing from race. With trait it give me total of 60ft, at cost if 1 hp/level.

In next 8 levels it's either Ranger 2/Monk 6 or Ranger 2/Monk 3/Fist of the Forest 3, depending on FotF/Monk multiclass issue (want to get monk 6, or at least 4). Yes, Ascetic Hunter is my lvl 3 feat, because else I won't be able to progress Monk after taking Ranger at lvl 5. (ok, there is also Martial Tradition, but it's basically Ascetic Hunter on diet)

totemist is solidly high T3, like WS ranger. since you haven't used one before, you wouldn't be breaking any games, but suit yourself. it's a good dip or splash friendly class. why are you muliclassing so much? you're really messing up your BA progression. monk and ranger don't do a great job of complementing one another. what do you want to focus on?

heros271
2015-06-14, 03:29 PM
Focus? TBH, nothing.

Ranger and Monk levels stack for unarmed strike, so 2d12 is pretty much guaranteed no matter how I go to lvl 20.

Character is fast, mobile (will have to get spring attack :( ) and fluffy (modified catfolk). Lvl 2+ she fight with her paws.

ShurikVch
2015-06-14, 03:54 PM
Wilderness Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogueVariantWilderness Rogue)
Horizon Walker (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/horizonWalker.htm)
Divine Champion (PGF) - for some nature-themed deity
Beastmaster (CAdv)
Deepwood Sniper (MotW)
King/Queen of the Wild (MotW)
Wildrunner (RotW)

Of desert-based classes I can suggest Ashworm Dragoon and Scorpion Heritor - both PrC from the Sandstorm

heros271
2015-06-14, 04:20 PM
To be honest, only ones I could use here are:
- Wildrunner (require elves)
- Horizon Walker (Probably will be in build)
- Scorpion Heritor (and not sure about that, strange class...)

Anyway, ty ^^
Beastmaster is focused on animal companion I traded away, Rogue abilities won't come in play till lvl 10 (class, not char), King/Queen of the Wild have power about equal to what I'd get if I used Ninja without Ascetic Stalker ^^

Any other classes?

Psyren
2015-06-14, 04:39 PM
Any other classes?

Have you looked at Scout?

I didn't see you mention this one so asking again.

ShurikVch
2015-06-14, 05:11 PM
Beastmaster is focused on animal companion I traded awayNote: Beastmaster PrC don't required availability of existing Animal Companion; instead it give you it's one separate Animal Companion, which is even better than Druid's of the same class level (but Extra Animal Companions are... lacking... :smallannoyed:)

Pyromancer999
2015-06-14, 08:33 PM
If you're ruling out any hint of magic, Scout could work. If you want to keep your ranger levels, you could always make a Swift Hunter (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/09/swift-hunters-handbook.html), although it takes a few levels to come online after you start multiclassing.

ShurikVch
2015-06-15, 05:20 AM
Wild Scout PrC (Silver Marches)

Barbarian - Crafty Hunter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#barbarian) ACF - no Rage

Ranger: Champion of the Wild ACF (CChamp) - no spellcasting; bonus feats at 4th, 8th, 11th, and 14th levels

Non-Spellcasting Paladin (CWar) or Holy Warrior (CChamp) of some nature-themed deity

Holy Monk (Dr#310) of some nature-themed deity; access to Turn Undead allow you to fuel Devotion feats...

(Note: Wilderness Rogue get HiPS earlier than Ranger)

heros271
2015-06-15, 06:09 AM
On Swift Hunter - I would have to get Training Dummy of Master to make it work. Before that it would be weak, after that it would be too strong. Heh.

Crafty Hunter - Ok, bonus movement speed would help. But it would potentially give me 2 favored enemies in 2 levels (as I start with ranger). And I should not move to lvl 2 (archery for purely martial-focused class?

Would have to check that option, however, as I have Fangshield enabled. If I picked first combat style feat from it... Not too strong, but useful, and I would pick it anyway. However, it would slow down unarmed strike progression...

Ranger: Again, I am using it.

Paladin: It's still paladin. Smite Evil. Aura.

Holy Monk: Not sure how it's less divine than normal monk I am using in current build plan ^^ Also, Dragon Mag? :/

People say there are way too much PRCs in 3.5, and it's hard to find 3-4 nature-themed prestige classes that will help ranger/monk XD

*edit* oh, Cloud Anchorite seems interesting.

ben-zayb
2015-06-15, 07:55 AM
It's not exactly within the spirit of avoiding "magic", but an Ardent with Natural World mantle, along with other thematic mantle choices, should work. It even works with Tashalatora on Monk.

EDIT: Ranger / Ardent / Slayer may also be nature-themed based on tge original Illithid Slayer fluff.

ShurikVch
2015-06-15, 07:59 AM
Ranger: Again, I am using it.Oh, sorry - I was under the impression you use Non-Spellcasting Ranger from the Complete Warrior
Paladin: It's still paladin. Smite Evil. Aura.If "nature-themed deity" is not enough for you, Dragon #310 have Incarnate - True Neutral variant of Paladin, which get:
Elemental Affinity - instead of Aura of Good,
Detect Imbalance - instead of Detect Evil,
Smite Extremist - instead of Smite Evil,
Elemental Burst - instead of Lay on Hands,
Energy Resistance - instead of Divine Health,
Turn Outsider - instead of Turn Undead,
Elemental Minion - instead of Special Mount,
Commune with Nature - instead of Remove Disease;
combine it with the Holy Warrior (or Non-Spellcasting Paladin)

Holy Monk: Not sure how it's less divine than normal monk I am using in current build plan ^^ Also, Dragon Mag? :/:smalleek: Less?
So "divine" is a problem? Sorry, I was honestly unaware of it!
Just all those "... Devotion" feats are so much better than you can fuel them with TU...
(Will you take Travel Devotion?)

EDIT: How about the planar options?
For example, you may take Planar Champion, and select Material Plane as your Favored Plane
Elemental Warrior with Elemental Affinity (Earth) kinda fit to the desert theme