PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Best Support Abilities

icefractal
2015-06-14, 03:21 PM
I've recently acquired a devil cohort (an Accomplice Devil (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/devil/devil-accomplice)), and I'm trying to decide what class levels to add onto it. The parameters I'm working with:

1) The primary purpose of the cohort is just to manage our affairs while we're out adventuring, but it wouldn't hurt to get some extra utility out of it either.

2) With the outsider HD, it'll be significantly behind with any kind of casting. Also, the outsider HD means it could potentially jump straight to a PrC, if there are any good ones.

3) Since the party is already large, I don't want another set of actions happening during combat. Abilities that get turned on at the start and provide a passive bonus are fine, as are interrupt-type actions in response to specific things, but not a full turn every round.

4) We already have a Bard.

So with that in mind, any ideas? Things I'm considering:
1) Witch. Get Fortune and Cackle, make one of the party lucky for each fight.
2) Alchemist, get Infusion, hand them out to the party. Or get Concentrate Poison and just make us toxic stuff.
3) Dual-Cursed Oracle, get Misfortune. Nowhere to go from there, but it is a really good ability.

None of these really take advantage of the outsider HD though; a low-level follower who had those abilities would do it just as well. Anyone know of a class / PrC that would benefit?

Elricaltovilla
2015-06-14, 03:31 PM
What books do you have available to use? What is the rest of your party like? What is your character like? Is 3rd party content allowed?

icefractal
2015-06-14, 03:39 PM
All first-party stuff, plus DSP psionics.
We've got currently - Bard, Beastmaster Ranger, Storm Druid, Summoner (me), Warpriest
Between the summons and the ranger's pets, you can see why I don't want to use the cohort directly for combat. In fact, the cohort would probably be in a different location entirely contributing through a Ring Gate.

Frosty
2015-06-14, 08:11 PM
With an accomplice devil in the picture, who's REALLY the cohort here? :smallwink: Are you sure you're in control?

PsyBomb
2015-06-14, 08:44 PM
Crafter Wizard springs to mind. Take the trait to boost caster level, since you have extra HD to compensate for

icefractal
2015-06-15, 01:25 AM
With an accomplice devil in the picture, who's REALLY the cohort here? :smallwink: Are you sure you're in control?We're an increasingly popular band, and I just signed a contract with a devil. He says he can really take our fame to the next level. What could possibly go wrong? :smallwink:

Crafter Wizard springs to mind.Probably going to do that; with Eclectic Training, he needs two levels of a casting class for CWI, and a number of the classes with good support abilities are also casters. However, we have some crafting support already, so this isn't absolutely necessary if a better option exists.

Geddy2112
2015-06-15, 10:26 AM
Since you made a deal with the blues devil, this guy is more or less going to be your tour manager. Devils have good CHA and INT, so any class that works off that is good. Also, those are important management and leadership skills. There are several prestige classes that work:

If you want somebody that would be a passive buffer and would be an authority voice for the band outside combat, a Battle Herald is the way to go. Bonuses to diplomacy and intimidate, and inspiring command gives additional bonuses that won't step on the bard's toes. There are several good commands, pick to fit the party. Roleplaying, this would be the boots on the ground PR campaign manager who talks up other people.

For a more behind the scenes fate manipulating and buffer, a wizard that becomes a harrower is a great fit. They can divine/scry/augur for the party as needed, and a good harrow blessing each day will always be appreciated. They can also still do some magic crafting and other general wizard stuff, as the harrower gains additional spells as if they took levels in wizard. This is the shadowy manager who ensures that the band has fate on their side, constantly seeing the future to further the party aims.

For additional in combat buffing via temp HP, a false priest may be the way to go. You still go in as a wizard then prestige here, using your intelligence to cast divine spells. Buff for the party during combat, and craft outside. It would roleplay as a demonoaguge saying that the band is "divinely inspired" and chosen by the deities to be great heroes etc.

Spore
2015-06-15, 07:10 PM
Crafter Wizard springs to mind. Take the trait to boost caster level, since you have extra HD to compensate for

Give it levels in the bard archetype demagogue or celebrity. What evil can a devil do that has only power over mere commoners?!

No, really, do it. If refluffed, celebrity or demagogue bard can heavily influence your popularity in several regions. It also makes the actual devil itself easier to deal with and fits the story. He's your manager.