PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons of Doom (Room 3)

Silkenfist
2007-04-25, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom. You are all going to die down here sooner or later. You shouldn’t have started to introduce victory laps around corpses of friendly NPC’s or introduced him to your Half Elf/Half Dwarf Warrior Gimlogas. Now you face the consequences. As you enter the next dungeon, all of you step onto a 40 by 40 feet field teleport trap that instantly transports you in the deepest cavern of a dungeon completely unknown to you. There is no escape and there is no exit. Just try to stay alive as long as you can.

Room 3:
With a snap, the remains of the rescue team appear at your side and together you continue through the dungeon. You wave a last goodbye to the slavers and continue the way they had taken earlier. You pass through several hallways, anxiously looking for traps. But to your surprise you encounter none of them. Instead, the hallways look more and more processed. You even begin to see doors in the walls and burning torches between them. Your hopes to reach civilisation again grow somewhat but as you open a few of the doors, you see no exit. All of them lead to small rooms with a bunk bed and an armoire. You inspect them further, but apart from dirty clothing for small creatures, you can’t find anything in there.
You continue on your way down the hallway until you arrive in a room at the end of it. It is larger than the others and contains several tables and chairs. The walls are filled with chalk drawings and crude graffiti. They are partially covered by two large cabinets. They don’t seem to be trapped and after you have sent one of the Halfling slaves to open it, you see their contents. The first cabinet contains a large array of bottles and flasks, while the inside of the doors is covered with slightly stained sponges and a small board of identical keys. Carefully you examine the bottles and you find that they contain citrus oil and citrus acid in varying concentration and strength. The other cabinet contains some other bottles but they are filled with holy water instead. You can also see a box of various holy symbols in there – next to a small array of silver blades.
Finally you examine the tables a bit closer. They are covered with small parchments with writings in orcish on them. Other than that, the room is empty, but the most noticeable thing in it is its exit. While you came in through a simple wooden door, the other door is made of solid metal with strong hinges. Two separate knobs with strong locks keep it shut and the large orcish letters above the door are probably meaning something. Still this seems to be your only exit and a lot of dirty fingerprints on them indicate that the route is being used frequently.

What do you do? Describe your actions until Monday, 4 PM Eastern

{table="head"]{colsp=3}The Players in the Dungeon of Doom
Aegeus|Alive|Room 3
Akaziel|Alive|Room 3
Altharis|DEAD|Room 1
Amiria, Countess of Mispelling|Alive|Room 3
Calamity|Alive|Room 3
Case|DEAD|Room 1
Castaras|Alive|Room 3
Deckmaster|DEAD|Room 1
DLD|Alive|Room 3
Eldritch Knight|DEAD|Room 1
El Jaspero|DEAD|Room 2
evnafets|Alive|Room 3
Fredricus|Alive|Room 3
Frigs|Alive|Room 3
GenericPC|DEAD|Room 1
Gezina|DEAD|Room 1
Gnome Barbarian|DEAD|Room 1
GoC|Alive|Room 3
Hivemind Ghost|Alive|Room 3
HyramGraff|Alive|Room 3
Jazzman|Alive|Room 3
KewlKat|Alive|Room 3
Krystal Tiger|DEAD|Room 2
Kyrian|Alive|Room 3
Lucid Archon|Alive|Room 3
Maggie the Cat|DEAD|Room 1
Mewtarthio|Alive|Room 3
Meynolds|DEAD|Room 1
Orzel|Alive|Room 3
pendell|DEAD|Room 1
pingcode20|Alive|Room 3
Rigel Cyrosea|Alive|Room 3
Rumda|Alive|Room 3
Thes Hunter|Alive|Room 3
Warpfire777|DEAD|Room 1
Zar Peter|Alive|Rooom 3
[/table]

:durkon:: The Support Thread. Check out Gear and Physical State of you and your companions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40427)

evnafets
2007-04-25, 06:22 PM
So, does anyone here read Orcish?

Two cabinets, two locks. Coincidence?

Jazzman
2007-04-25, 06:55 PM
Jazzman, still invisible speaks out.

"I bet that Tome of Infinite Knowledge would be able to decipher them. GoC, didn't you pick that one up?"

Copacetic
2007-04-25, 07:34 PM
Frigs walks over to the cabinet, store s2 bottles of holy water and bottles off strong citrus acid in his belt and goes back to the party

Jazzman
2007-04-25, 08:40 PM
Jazzman fades back into visibility, and also goes to each cabinet and picks up a bottle from each, a key, a sponge, and a holy symbol, which he sets into his sword the same way he set Orzel's rock into the hilt, except he does it so that the symbol is visible.

"Silver? Holy water and icons? Is it just me or are these the kind of things you'd use for creatures like vampires and werewolves? And what's with the fruit juice?"

Akaziel
2007-04-26, 12:07 AM
Akaziel decides to pick up one of each object from the cabinets. He examines the doors and wonders if anything is hiding behind them.

Rumda
2007-04-26, 06:39 AM
Some cultures say that the best way to stop a vampire involves staking it through the heart and stuffing a lemon in its mouth, it does seem we've either stumbled on the citadel of a group of generic 'evil' humanoid undead hunters, or the lair of a very sporting vampire with a horde of goblin orc or kolbold servants

Castaras
2007-04-26, 06:49 AM
Or an orc/goblin/thing lair that lives in fear of were-wolves and vampires...

GoC
2007-04-26, 09:20 AM
GoC asks his Tome how to open the locks using what is available in this room. He also asks what (if anything) is on the other side of the door and wether it can be killed by any of his staff's spells.
He then asks the Tome if any of the items lying around would harm him and if they won't he picks up one of each type.

Fredricus
2007-04-26, 09:28 AM
Fredricus looks around but doesn't take anything yet. They might prove dangerous.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-26, 11:00 AM
"Perhaps you should be checking that Tome to identify the Holy Symbols."

Mewtarthio touches nothing, but approaches the cabinets cautiously.

"If I had to guess, I'd say this is some sort of military barracks. A large group of orc and kobold vampire hunters, perhaps?"

Silkenfist
2007-04-26, 11:53 AM
GoC asks his Tome how to open the locks using what is available in this room. He also asks what (if anything) is on the other side of the door and wether it can be killed by any of his staff's spells.
He then asks the Tome if any of the items lying around would harm him and if they won't he picks up one of each type.

The Tome replies...

1. The locks can be opened by using the keys in the armoire.

2. There are about sixty thousand different lifeforms on the other side of the door and even more if you include protozoans and bacteria. All of them can be killed by at least one of your staves' spells.

Jazzman
2007-04-26, 12:27 PM
Are those cabinets moveable? If they're partially obscuring something on the wall, wouldn't it make sense to see what it is they're hiding?

GoC
2007-04-26, 04:03 PM
GoC asks the Tome:
"What (if any) illusions are within 50 ft of here?"
"What is a comprehensive list of all the lifeforms, undead, outsiders or elementals over 1 kg in mass within 100 ft of here?"
"What is a comprehensive list of all the hostile (to me) supernatural beings within 100 ft of here (assuming there are any)?"
"What items within 50ft of here are useful to me? What is their location relative to me?"

This Tome is VERY useful.:smallbiggrin:

Aegeus
2007-04-26, 04:10 PM
Aegeus grins as he reads the Tome's reply. "GoC, you should ask if there is anything bigger than a foot in any dimension on either side, to screen out bacteria and rats. Also, can you tell what the signs say from the book?"

OOC(By the way, silkenfist. GoC also asked if it was safe to pick up the bottles.)

Aegeus pokes the contents of the cabinets with his 10-foot pole.

Rumda
2007-04-26, 06:20 PM
uyou do realise you will get a list of all our items GoC from the book

Copacetic
2007-04-26, 06:42 PM
Frigs continues taking stuff from the cabinet, namely 2 holy symbols

Silkenfist
2007-04-26, 06:55 PM
GoC asks the Tome:
"What (if any) illusions are within 50 ft of here?"
"What is a comprehensive list of all the lifeforms, undead, outsiders or elementals over 1 kg in mass within 100 ft of here?"
"What is a comprehensive list of all the hostile (to me) supernatural beings within 100 ft of here (assuming there are any)?"
"What items within 50ft of here are useful to me? What is their location relative to me?"

This Tome is VERY useful.:smallbiggrin:

Earlier: The magazines, bottles of oil and acid, holy symbols and silver blades as well as the charis, tables and armoires are able to hurt you.

1: There are not illusions withing 50 feet of here

2: Fourty goblins, eighteen orcs, six ogres, one lycantrophe

3: The Tome lists all items in the room, all items in the hallway up to 50 feet away and the door itself. Then, it lists the stones of a straight hallway 50 feet from the door deeper into the dungeon. However, the only thing named are stones, torches, shields, swords, pressure plates, levers, tubes and tanks.

Jazzman
2007-04-26, 07:14 PM
"Lycanthrope? That's a werewolf, right?"

Instinctively, Jazzman morphs his sword so that it's made out of silver.

Copacetic
2007-04-26, 07:44 PM
hearing that FRigs grabs 10 silver blades and stuffs nine in his pocket and keeping the other in his hand

GoC
2007-04-26, 08:26 PM
((From now on GoC will automaticaly ask the Tome any question that is asked in this thread that isn't in parenthesis.))
"Come on guys! Start thinking of questions!"

"Which of the items within 50 ft wouldn't be considered "cursed items" by the D&D definition?"
GoC picks up any item that isn't cursed by the D&D definition.

"What is the location relative to me of each of the items/creatures mentioned in the answers the Tome gave to the following questions?
-"What is a comprehensive list of all the lifeforms, undead, outsiders or elementals over 1 kg in mass within 100 ft of here?"
-"What is a comprehensive list of all the hostile (to me) supernatural beings within 100 ft of here (assuming there are any)?"
-"What items within 50ft of here are useful to me? What is their location relative to me?" "

"What is the CR for each of the creatures mentioned in the answer the Tome gave to the following questions?
-"What is a comprehensive list of all the hostile (to me) supernatural beings within 100 ft of here (assuming there are any)?"
-"What is a comprehensive list of all the lifeforms, undead, outsiders or elementals over 1 kg in mass within 100 ft of here?""

"Which of the creatures mentioned in the answer the Tome gave to the following question can by killed by a single chain lightning attack from my staff?
-"What is a comprehensive list of all the lifeforms, undead, outsiders or elementals over 1 kg in mass within 100 ft of here?""

"What is the exact location and nature of any traps within 100 ft (if any)?"

((I bet Silkenfist will be regreting allowing the Tome of Infinite Knowledge before we get to the next room.:smallbiggrin:
Silkenfist: If you want I can limit myself to a maximun of five questions per room starting at room 4 or you can give answers to each question based on the intent of the asker instead of the literal meaning.))

Jazzman
2007-04-26, 08:52 PM
I think the Tome's starting to become a bit of a game-breaker :P I wouldn't be surprised if Silky declared it to spontaneously combust after having been asked all these questions in quick succession....

evnafets
2007-04-26, 09:17 PM
I'm more interested in the orcish writing - particularly the stuff above the door. Does the book have a translation of that?

I want to rifle amongst the papers on the table and see if there is anything there.
Also I want to check out the chalk drawings on the wall. Do they look like graffitti or could they have some sort of meaning?

pingcode20
2007-04-27, 03:23 AM
Pingcode browses the cabinets and takes what almost seems to be a shopping list of items, in preparation for the room behind the door.

He starts by taking two silver blades, adding one to the set of thieve's tools (Transforming it into a set of Thieve's Tools and One Silver Blade) and puts the other on his belt. He also grabs a holy symbol, tying it to his belt.

Examining the liquids, he adds three flasks each of Citrus Oil and Citric Acid, in three different concentrations (The weakest suitable for cooking, while the strongest likely to cause severe skin irritation), to his thieve's toolset. He also adds 3 flasks holy water to his toolset, while hanging another three from his belt.

Finally, he added one of the keys to his toolset, on the off chance it may become useful.

He waited for more information before acting further, asking GoC to ask the tome the question 'What type of Citric Oil is in the flasks?' and 'What are its properties?'

Orzel
2007-04-27, 03:42 AM
Orzel quietly activated his magic stick and leaf. Thrustin a blade into the end of his club, Orzel examines the writing from behind his shield. "Gang hideout or torture house?"

Silkenfist
2007-04-27, 04:07 AM
Okay...the properties and difficulty of the rooms are adapted to the book anyway.

Jazzman: Possibly

GoC:

1: Four of the swords are cursed
2: Except for four of the goblins, the tome names a vektor with a negative z component. The goblins without a negative z component have a vektor of x = 4.24 and y = 1.25 where x,y = 0 is the exit and x = -1, y = 0 is the entrance and the armoires have a positive y component.
3: The vektor of the lycantrophe is x = 2.36, y = - 0.23, z = - 2.02
4: You receive the vector for each of the stones around.
The torches have vectors of (1.32;-0.12;0.23)(2.64;-0.12;0.23)(3.96;-0.12;0.23)(4.31;0;0.23)(4.31;-1.32;0.23)(4.31;11.32;0.23)
The Shields have vectors of
(0.66;-0.12;0.24)(1.98;-0.12;0.24)(3.3;-0.12;0.24)
The Swords have vectors of
(0.65;-0.12;0.24)(0.67;-0.12;0.24)(1.97;-0.12;0.24)(1.99;-0.12;0.24)(3.29;-0.12;0.24)(3.31;-0.12;0.24)(4.22;1.23;0.11)(4.22;1.24;0.11)(4.23;1. 23;0.11)(4.23;1.26;0.11)
The Pressure Plates form a plane. They all have a z component of 0 and their corners are defined by (0.12;0.62;0)(0.12;-0.12;0)(0.42;0.62;0)(0.42;-0.12;0)
There are two levers with the vectors (0.27;0.31;-0.04) and (2.13;1.42;-1.78)
The tubes have vectors of (0.32;0.62;0.41)(0.64;0.62;0.41)(0.96;0.62;0.41)(1 .28;0.62;0.41)(1.6;0.62;0.41)(1.96;0.62;0.41)(2.28 ;0.62;0.41)(2.6;0.62;0.41)(2.96;0.62;0.41)(3.28;0. 62;0.41)(0.32;0.62;-1.49)(0.64;0.62;-1.49)(0.96;0.62;-1.49)(1.28;0.62;-1.49)(1.6;0.62;-1.49)(1.96;0.62;-1.49)(2.28;0.62;-1.49)(2.6;0.62;-1.49)(2.96;0.62;-1.49)(3.28;0.62;-1.49)
The tanks have vectors of (1.47;2.58;1.2) and (1.47;2.58;-1.34)

3: The goblins have a CR of 1/4
The orcs have a CR of 3/4
The ogres have a CR of 6
The lycantrophe has a CR of 4

4: The goblins and orcs

5: One mechanical trap at (0.27;0.31;-0.04)
Two magical traps at (2.09;1.42;-1.48)(2.14;1.43;-1.48)

evnafets:

1: Yes, I have
2: Yes they look like graffiti and yes they could have some sort of meaning

pingcode:

1: 96.2% Citric Oil, 1.1% Water, 2.5% Impurities, 0.2% Weak Adhesive
pH = 4.23

DarkLightDragon
2007-04-27, 04:11 AM
*DLD laughs as she watches everyone rush to find silver items*

Ha! Look at you all! You should be able to remember that my Keyblade is far more powerful. And made of silver.

*grins as she looks around at the items*

pingcode20
2007-04-27, 04:30 AM
Pingcode also has GoC ask: 'Who is currently in possession of cursed items, and if so, what items?'

He also asks 'What are the dimensions of this room?' and 'What are the vectors, given the same system as previously employed, of the corners of this room?'

Silkenfist
2007-04-27, 04:44 AM
1: The cursed items are in nobody's possession

2: The room is 8 by 24 feet. Its corners are (0;2.28;0)(0;-0.12;0)(-1;2,28;0)(-1;-0.12;0)

pingcode20
2007-04-27, 05:39 AM
(What about vertical dimensions and vectors? Also, in this case, 'I' also refers to 'Pingcode'.)

Pingcode stands at the entrance and looks straight at the locked door. He holds his right arm outstretched and his left arm directly upwards.

'Would I be correct in saying that I am currently looking in the positive direction of X, My right arm is pointing in the positive direction of Y, and my left arm is pointing in the positive direction of Z?'

If the answer is no, he swaps arms, holding out his left arm and pointing up using the right.

Silkenfist
2007-04-27, 10:14 AM
(What about vertical dimensions and vectors? Also, in this case, 'I' also refers to 'Pingcode'.)

Pingcode stands at the entrance and looks straight at the locked door. He holds his right arm outstretched and his left arm directly upwards.

'Would I be correct in saying that I am currently looking in the positive direction of X, My right arm is pointing in the positive direction of Y, and my left arm is pointing in the positive direction of Z?'

If the answer is no, he swaps arms, holding out his left arm and pointing up using the right.

You can't stretch out your right arm as there is a solid wall right next to you. But if you could, you would be right.

Calamity
2007-04-27, 10:27 AM
*Calamity crawls up to the to the cabinet with Holy Water inside.*

"Umm can I reach the Holy Water here?"

Silkenfist
2007-04-27, 10:31 AM
Of course. You can reach all items in this room.

Calamity
2007-04-27, 10:39 AM
*Calamity takes 1 bottle of Holy Water and 1 Bottle of citric acid.*

Thes Hunter
2007-04-27, 11:54 AM
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Thes takes the chewed on nub of a coffin nail cigerette out of her mouth and drops it to the floor.

"I don't really know if that book has given us any useful information. Well, unless you can figure out all that jibber jabber about monsters and stuff and things and stuff.

Though what it could do is tell us what it says above the door. Since I don't know if any of us grew up learning to read Orcish. Some might be able to speak it, but there aren't many a school to go learn to read such a language.

So it looks like we have a lot of junk. Some of it may be useful, some of it may cause our untimely deaths.

Stands around and ponders, and begins to regret that she just dropped her last smidgeon of tobacco on the floor.

Kyrian
2007-04-27, 11:55 AM
((Gah! Who broke the thread??

NOTE: I'll be gone most this weekend))

GoC
2007-04-27, 04:02 PM
GoC picks up some bottles and holy symbols and uses his Tome to find out which of the swords are cursed. He then picks up one that isn't.

"Which kind of lycanthrope is within 100 ft? What is the alignment of each creature of mass over 10g within 100 ft?"
"What are the end points of each tube? Can they be moved by us?"
"What are the coordinates of the corners of each room/hallway within 100 ft?"
"What would the writing on the walls say if translated?"
"Do the tanks have anything in them? If so, what?"
"Does anyone in the party have a good chance of taking on the Lycanthrope singlehandedly using the equipment in his/her possession? Is so, who? Who has a good chance of killing the Ogres? What about the Orcs? Or the Goblins?"

((When we leave this room will our room count go up? Could you include a map of everything we can see when we get to a room? You forgot to tell me the locations of the Orcs, Ogres and cabinets.))
((Who wants to become a lycanthrope? Is the change of alignment offset by the advantages?))

I'll need more information to complete this, but here's the map for neaby objects so far (put it in notepad to be able to read it):

#S......t
#s
#
#.......t
#
#
#
#o......t
#
#
#L......t
#
#...............M
#S......t.......m
#s
#
#
#.......t
#
#
#o......t
#
#
#.......t
#
#
#S
#s......t
#
#
#p...T..P
#
#p......p
##X#######################
#........................#
##E#######################

#=wall
E=entrance
X=exit
p=corners of plate
P=corner of plate+tube
t=tube
T=non-magical trap and one lever
s=sword
S=sword and shield
L=lycanthrope
M=magic trap+lever
m=magic trap
o=torch

one square is about a foot wide.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-27, 05:15 PM
Mewtarthio takes as many flasks of Holy Water as he can carry.

"What about the Holy Symbols? To which religions are they dedicated? What are the domains and portfolios of said deities? Alignments? Views on lycanthropy?

By the way, that book wouldn't happen to have what purpose this dungeon serves written down in it, would it?"

Silkenfist
2007-04-27, 05:55 PM
OK...big sorry, but I have to cancel this contest. I just noticed that I spent 6 hours during the last two days on the contest and there is no way for me to cut it down or maintain the contest.

Dungeons of Doom are officially on hold. If someone else wants to take over, I'll hand over my notes. If nododay wants, you will all be killed by a falling granite block.

Because of similar reasons, R,A,F is on hold for an indefinite amount of time as well.

evnafets
2007-04-27, 06:23 PM
I'm more interested in the orcish writing - particularly the stuff above the door. Does the book have a translation of that?

The response

1: Yes, I have
I guess my attempts at subtle hints weren't getting very far.
I was trying to find out what the runes said.
Knowing you for the evil DM you are, the translation in the book is probably in High Elf, Dwarven or some other language I can't read ;-)

Sorry to hear you have to stop this game. You have been doing an awesome job of it. I love the concept.

Copacetic
2007-04-28, 06:13 PM
OK...big sorry, but I have to cancel this contest. I just noticed that I spent 6 hours during the last two days on the contest and there is no way for me to cut it down or maintain the contest.

Dungeons of Doom are officially on hold. If someone else wants to take over, I'll hand over my notes. If nododay wants, you will all be killed by a falling granite block.

Because of similar reasons, R,A,F is on hold for an indefinite amount of time as well.

I'll take offer for a little bit, though I promise it won't be near 1 sixdy seventh as awesome.......But I can try.

DarkLightDragon
2007-04-28, 11:22 PM
((Since this is on hold, I'll just post what items I take now

a bottle of citrus oil, a bottle of citrus acid, a bottle of holy water, two keys, a holy symbol

Now I'll wait and see if the game gets back on the road))

Jazzman
2007-05-08, 06:37 PM
If Silky is still looking for someone to run this, I'll happily give it a go :)